Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11531 replies to this topic

#3541 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:43 AM

If there was ever a good reminder why you shouldn’t buy British cars, this just might be it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3542 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:29 AM

Tesla just increased the cost of charging at their Superchargers by as much as 40%, depending on where the charger is located.

I am sure it won't be long before the Model S agreement is "upgraded" and they start charging for supercharging.  I had a free account at Royal Bank for decades and then I was "upgraded" to a $6/month account

Tesla stock has tanked because the expected profits for Q4 aren't going to exist, although they are expected to be still profitable.  If it drops to mid 200's I might consider a short term play, but I am not sure even I have the balls for that POS stock.  Its under 300 now

#3543 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:31 AM

"Jaguar E-Paces delivered to customers missing irreplaceable WiFi software

Owners of SUVs permanently lacking navigation, Apple CarPlay and other digital features to be offered a $600 credit instead"

https://driving.ca/j...e-wifi-software

I don't know what to say.  I don't know if this level of "customer care" is normal in these circles but I can't imagine if I were to spend the money on an E-Pace that I would be cool with $600 in exchange for a crippled infotainment system.

Note that despite the confusing name the E-Pace is the gas version.   The i-Pace is the electric version.  

#3544 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:43 AM

Note that despite the confusing name the E-Pace is the gas version.   The i-Pace is the electric version.  

Well, that's just one more unforgivable move on the part of Jaguar.  :P

#3545 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:17 AM

I would never buy one (assuming it was ever even in the realm of possibility for me) but I have been in someone else's F-Pace and they are insanely nice 

#3546 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:37 PM

An Esquimalt resident returned to her home this afternoon to find a stranger’s electric vehicle charging on her dime.

The owner of a Chevy Bolt (you can view a picture of the vehicle on our Facebook page) connected an extension cord from the vehicle to a backyard external outlet of a residence and left it charging while the unsuspecting occupants were at work. If it wasn’t for an unscheduled trip back to the house by one of the residents the vehicle could have remained charging for hours longer, and the practice could also have been going on for days if not weeks prior to being discovered.

This incident serves as an unfortunate reminder that Victorians should now consider securing their external power outlets if they are easily accessible as this type of power theft is likely not an isolated incident.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3547 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:44 PM

We don’t need one Mike assures us drivers already cover all the infra costs in the entire province.

Yes I agree drivers do cover all the costs now, but when nobody is buying gas anymore you still need roads and maintenance.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3548 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:49 PM

In case you thought all the looney politicians were in BC, in order to increase funding for highway construction and maintenance, an AZ state rep brought a motion up to charge people $20 tax if they wanted to view **rn on any electronic device. You would be locked out from all **rn sites unless you paid the $20 fee. She later withdrew it, so I'm guessing her colleagues were fans of the genre.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3549 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:50 PM

^ technically impossible to enforce

#3550 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:06 PM

An Esquimalt resident returned to her home this afternoon to find a stranger’s electric vehicle charging on her dime.

The owner of a Chevy Bolt (you can view a picture of the vehicle on our Facebook page) connected an extension cord from the vehicle to a backyard external outlet of a residence and left it charging while the unsuspecting occupants were at work. If it wasn’t for an unscheduled trip back to the house by one of the residents the vehicle could have remained charging for hours longer, and the practice could also have been going on for days if not weeks prior to being discovered.

This incident serves as an unfortunate reminder that Victorians should now consider securing their external power outlets if they are easily accessible as this type of power theft is likely not an isolated incident.

Let’s see. 1.2kW charging, or about 12 cents per hour. Yep I’m sure this will be a rampant problem in Victoria. Sound the alarm!

#3551 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:13 PM

I am sure it won't be long before the Model S agreement is "upgraded" and they start charging for supercharging.  I had a free account at Royal Bank for decades and then I was "upgraded" to a $6/month account

Doubt it as Model Ss are quickly going to be a smaller and smaller percentage of the overall fleet.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#3552 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:02 PM

Tesla's stock is coming back into buying range once again. It dipped to just below $283 today. If you want to have some fun now's not a bad time to start putting aside some chips to make a buy.

Know it all.

#3553 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:37 AM

a low of under 280 today, I think it will fall into the mid 200's before its done

#3554 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:46 AM

We're certainly back to square one, that's for sure. The billion dollar debt that's due in a few weeks is no doubt going to a major factor. If Tesla dips into more debt the stock will take a beating.

Know it all.

#3555 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:03 PM

Apple has let go 200 workers from Project Titan, its autonomous vehicle project.

Know it all.

#3556 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:50 PM

Planning to buy Tesla. No need for them.

#3557 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:20 PM

Planning to buy Tesla. No need for them.

Some kind of partnership would be pretty cool. Apple has unlimited cash but little in the way of innovative ideas these days. Tesla has endless ideas but not enough cash to do them all. Would love for them to figure out how to collaborate

#3558 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 06:01 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised.

Know it all.

#3559 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,934 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 06:11 AM

this is a good read.

https://driving.ca/f...ectric-vehicles

Motor Mouth: Who, exactly, is the saviour of electric vehicles?

Nikola Tesla’s namesake may yet create the battery that takes zero emissions on the open road

#3560 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:58 AM

this is a good read.

https://driving.ca/f...ectric-vehicles

Motor Mouth: Who, exactly, is the saviour of electric vehicles?

Nikola Tesla’s namesake may yet create the battery that takes zero emissions on the open road

Would be cool if Nikola succeeds, but it sounds like this writer read some marketing materials from them and swallowed it hook line and sinker.

Nikola has so far build one very cool battery electric ATV  and released many press releases about their hydrogen trucks but no indication they even have a single working version.  Nor do they know they price they could sell it at.    Or have any timeline for when it might be ready.   As for $8B in reservations, a reservation costs nothing at all.  You can go and reserve 10 of them right now for free and Nikola will then say they received another couple million in reservations.   That's without getting into the cost of hydrogen which is currently significantly more expensive than the equivalent diesel fueled vehicle.  

Might work, but so far the company hasn't provided much of anything to indicate they can do it.  

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Victoria Watcher