• Please log in to reply
11498 replies to this topic

#3861 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:30 AM

Central Saanich gears up to bring car-sharing to community

Councillors vote to put up funds, upgrade charger

this scheme seems fairly well thought-out.

https://www.timescol...nity-1.23666034

hope it goes well.

Makes sense if the people are there.   I hope they continue to densify around that area.  Then it could work.  

#3862 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:29 PM

Totally cancelled I believe. Which is quite a shock to the market from $14k to $0.

Nope Tesla sued and won

https://globalnews.c...t-court-ruling/

#3863 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:35 PM

I'm wondering if there is a quick buy opportunity on TSLA, grab it at 250 and then dump at 300.  Hmmm, not sure if I have have the balls for TSLA thou

#3864 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:37 PM

Nope Tesla sued and won

https://globalnews.c...t-court-ruling/

Credits are gone. They “won” the right to the same September deadline for in transit cars as every other company. Credits are gone now

#3865 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:14 AM

ah yes you are right

TSLA at 268 now, still debating if it hits 250

#3866 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:15 AM

Are you making a move at $250?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3867 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:51 AM

National EV incentives likely coming in today's budget.

#3868 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:04 AM

Quite possible, for sure.

But what strikes me about these incentives is the fact that they’re targeting the wealthiest 10% of our society, the people who need incentives the least. What ought to be done is to tie these incentives to income in order to encourage those who already feel the effect of rising gas prices to switch.

Or does the government admit that EV’s require you to have a single family home with unobstructed access to a plug, therefore going for the $45-$75k household income bracket is counterproductive?

I just see EV incentives as a luxury bursary. That’s all they are and it’s comical to even incentivize such a thing while charging insane taxes for a fricken Ford Explorer with a trim above a nearly basic package.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3869 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:22 AM

But what strikes me about these incentives is the fact that they’re targeting the wealthiest 10% of our society, the people who need incentives the least. What ought to be done is to tie these incentives to income in order to encourage those who already feel the effect of rising gas prices to switch.

Or does the government admit that EV’s require you to have a single family home with unobstructed access to a plug, therefore going for the $45-$75k household income bracket is counterproductive?

I just see EV incentives as a luxury bursary. That’s all they are and it’s comical to even incentivize such a thing while charging insane taxes for a fricken Ford Explorer with a trim above a nearly basic package.

The point is not to reward the purchasers, the point is to push the industry to transition faster by absorbing some of the currently higher vehicle costs and thus increasing sales.  The reality is that most purchasers of new EVs will be in higher income brackets at first.  That's fine.  The whole point is to drive down costs as a whole via volume so that EV prices will come down faster than they otherwise would have.   They could always do what BC has done and add a max vehicle price so that people aren't getting an incentive for a $120,000 Model X.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 19 March 2019 - 10:23 AM.

#3870 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:19 AM

In theory, but that hardly converts to real world adoption.

Canada’s EV incentives are/were doing just that, rewarding the guys buying $120k Tesla’s who are laughing all the way to the bank (where they get priority parking, maybe even a free charge-up).

The US$35k model three is about to become a $50k+ base model vehicle in Canada as the dollar continues to slip. Add some perks and you’re at $70k like nobody’s business. Why we're even giving these vehicles incentives is insane when the guy buying a $55k Chevy family hauler pays the full sticker price and sky high taxes.

Know it all.

#3871 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:49 AM

Depends on your jurisdiction. A couple lower mainland muni's will be following in Richmond's footsteps and requiring all new residential construction to have plug access for every single parking spot. Doesn't matter if you're building single family, town houses, or apartments, all of them have an EV charging requirement in Richmond.

#3872 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:45 PM

National EV incentives likely coming in today's budget.

$5,000 incentive for vehicles less than $45,000

#3873 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:57 PM

In theory, but that hardly converts to real world adoption.

Incorrect.  See Norway where north of 50% of new vehicle sales are electric.   Incentives absolutely work when combined with investments into charging infrastructure

Canada’s EV incentives are/were doing just that, rewarding the guys buying $120k Tesla’s who are laughing all the way to the bank (where they get priority parking, maybe even a free charge-up).

1. Canada didn't have any EV incentives until today's budget. The max MSRP for this incentive is $45,000
2. BC's limit for EV incentives is only for EVs with MSRP under $77,000. So no, $120k Teslas do not get it.

The US$35k model three is about to become a $50k+ base model vehicle in Canada as the dollar continues to slip. Add some perks and you’re at $70k like nobody’s business. Why we're even giving these vehicles incentives is insane when the guy buying a $55k Chevy family hauler pays the full sticker price and sky high taxes.

I already told you why.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 19 March 2019 - 12:58 PM.

#3874 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:00 PM

Tesla standard range model 3 MSRP is $47,600 in Canada. I suspect they will find a way to make it $45,000 to allow buyers to qualify for this incentive.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 19 March 2019 - 01:00 PM.

#3875 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:50 PM

Currently qualifying for the incentive are:

Nissan Leaf (Current model): $36,700
Hyundai Ioniq: $37,500
VW Golf: $36,700
Kia Soul EV: $35,900
Chevy Bolt: $44,800

Not qualifying
Hyundai Kona: $45,600
Kia Niro: Slightly more than Kona
Tesla Model 3: $47,600

I suspect they are hoping that the $45k cutoff will convince the long range EV manufacturers to drop their prices a bit immediately.

#3876 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:39 PM

This combines with BC's program? So a base Leaf would go from 36700 to 26700 after 2x 5k rebates?

Is tax applied before or after the rebate?

Edited by lanforod, 19 March 2019 - 02:39 PM.

#3877 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:51 PM

This combines with BC's program? So a base Leaf would go from 36700 to 26700 after 2x 5k rebates?
Is tax applied before or after the rebate?

Yes. Plus $6000 scrap it if you have an old car.

Tax goes on before incentives come off

#3878 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:35 PM

Wasn’t Marko’s Tesla eligible for incentives?

I realize now when I said Canada I meant BC.

Know it all.

#3879 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:23 PM

Looks like the BC price cap was introduced in March 2016./

#3880 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:57 PM

Ever felt compelled to find out if your car’s safety features work as advertised?

Some absolute genius thought it would be a great idea to try out his Tesla’s Autopilot Emergency Braking system by driving straight at his own wife.

https://driving.ca/t...n-to-be-ex-wife

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users