• Please log in to reply
11498 replies to this topic

#61 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:12 AM

The benefits to the customer are huge. It's the first personal robot IMO. IF you own one then think about this. You can now text, call, work, read or whatever while driving.

You can go out for dinner and drinks and have the car drive you home.

You can navigate automatically the best way avoiding traffic congestion real time without risking an accident by constantly checking your phone.

The car can pull up and be warmed up ready to go at your front door.

Why do proponents of autonomous cars always seem to assume that I want to text, call and work while I'm in the car?

Why do they think I want to get drunk with dinner (this could actually lead to increased alcohol consumption throughout society, something generally frowned upon)

Re-routing based on congestion is already happening - doesn't require a self-driving car.

The car can pull up at my front door?  Wait, aren't we all supposed to be in high-density high-rises? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#62 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:21 AM

Why do proponents of autonomous cars always seem to assume that I want to text, call and work while I'm in the car?

Why do they think I want to get drunk with dinner (this could actually lead to increased alcohol consumption throughout society, something generally frowned upon)

Re-routing based on congestion is already happening - doesn't require a self-driving car.

The car can pull up at my front door?  Wait, aren't we all supposed to be in high-density high-rises? 

Start with a Roomba go from there.

Edited by todd, 06 January 2016 - 12:21 AM.

#63 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:22 AM

Start with a Roomba go from there.

No, I actually like running the vacuum back and forth across the rug listening to the bits of last week's dinner get sucked up the tube. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#64 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:25 AM

No, I actually like running the vacuum back and forth across the rug listening to the bits of last week's dinner get sucked up the tube. 

If you want to be a part of the action you can drive it like an RC car with the remote.

#65 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:35 AM

If you want to be a part of the action you can drive it like an RC car with the remote.

Too disconnected.  You don't get to feel the bits of last week's dinner get sucked up the tube. 

I'm sorry, I don't want to live like the people on the spaceship in Wall-E.

#66 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:44 AM

You can now text, call, work, read or whatever while driving. You can navigate automatically the best way avoiding traffic congestion real time without risking an accident by constantly checking your phone.

If it finally comes that you don't need to be in the car then the benefits get bigger. You can have it pick up the kids from school. You can simply have it perform errands for you. Public transit becomes revolutionized. Shipping is now the job of robots.

Great, we already have trouble with a 'Children of the Magenta' (Google it) mindset - people blindly following GPS directions into rivers, lakes, deadend logging roads, and so forth - and they are actually steering the car; now we want to have people blindly sitting there, totally disengaged from what's going on around them? Sounds like paradise to me.
What happens when the kids get in the wrong car, and get to the wrong place?
Not sure about your errands, but most of mine need my involvement - pick up a new lightbulb; while there go to the the optometrist next door and get some more contacts; then it's groceries kitty-corner, and so on..the only errand that the car might do without me is going to the mechanic...

I think that I'm going to buy a motorcycle - once everyone is comfortably ensconced in their crash-proof 40km/h passenger pods, I'm going to blast around on 998ccs of thunderous glory - passing at will, and enjoying the view of the deltas numbly going about their daily grind...
  • sebberry, Bingo and Dr. Barillas like this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#67 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:33 AM

Great, we already have trouble with a 'Children of the Magenta' (Google it) mindset - people blindly following GPS directions into rivers, lakes, deadend logging roads, and so forth - and they are actually steering the car; now we want to have people blindly sitting there, totally disengaged from what's going on around them? Sounds like paradise to me.
Not sure about your errands, but most of mine need my involvement - pick up a new lightbulb; while there go to the the optometrist next door and get some more contacts; then it's groceries kitty-corner, and so on..the only errand that the car might do without me is going to the mechanic...

I think that I'm going to buy a motorcycle - once everyone is comfortably ensconced in their crash-proof 40km/h passenger pods, I'm going to blast around on 998ccs of thunderous glory - passing at will, and enjoying the view of the deltas numbly going about their daily grind...

Sounds cool. I'll join you.... But on an electric bike. I'm not preaching this only predicting it...
Our society will very much desire the protection such a car would give our young kids. No more youthful deaths from driving shenanigans. It's marketing on commerce driven progress. Talking about this doesn't reflect my personal values. North Americans are way more helicopter parents then needed and this will appeal to that. The contrast is stark living in the Netherlands. Here I see young children riding their bikes to school on their own! On city streets! You never see that in Victoria.
I personally enjoyed my driving shenanigans (because I survived). It was close a few times though. Being in a rolling car really does make your life flash before you. Shoot, it made me a better driver going nuts in the car when I was 16. Doing 360s on the ice and snow on purpose better prepares you for when it happens by accident. Mind you now that won't matter with self driving cars ;-)

#68 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:28 AM

This has nothing to do with being a proponent. It has to d with seeing what's coming. You can try to fight it but look what happened with digital music. Also an example of old dudes not getting it. I'm sure a lot of people here hated the cell phone when it first arrived and thought it was an abomination of our social fabric....

Even Kia is getting in although late. They are all piling in so they don't lose their market to silicon valley...

Kia says drivers will interact with the Drive Wise suite of technologies through its next-generation Human Machine Interface, which features gesture control, fingerprint recognition and smart device connectivity.

The new interface is being showcased at CES in an ‘i-Cockpit’ display. Kia says the system can recognise a driver and load their infotainment preferences upon starting.

http://www.autocar.c...-technology-ces

#69 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:46 AM

I think the autonomous vehicle will be welcomed by the hackers, the criminals AND the terrorists.

BREAKING NEWS - January 7, 2021.

Yesterday four armoured trucks carrying 27 million dollars in gold disappeared, but much to the relief of G4S, the trucks found there way back to the yard early this morning.

The company has ordered replacement doors for the ones missing.

Meanwhile in the Middle East 36 pilotless US fighter jets were tracked to Afganistan where they landed.

US Special forces have found the planes, all with missing tires.

In Washington DC President Trump's motorcade has vanished.

Satelites have since spotted the limos hours ago having crossed under border into Mexico though a previously unkown 50 mile tunnel.

Hackers from the LIMOS FOR LIFE Cartel have claimed responsibility.

At Le Mans 47 racing cars have ended up in the harbour after one of the bridges collapsed.

All of the drivers escaped safely when their ejection seats activated prematurely 3 minutes earlier.

Edited by Bingo, 06 January 2016 - 06:46 AM.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#70 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:04 AM

Has someone proclaimed autonomous vehicles will reduce crime?

#71 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:54 AM

Don't worry, there will be tracks where you can go and drive for fun.  If you are lucky, they can even fill it with drivers who annoy you to the point that you buy a dash cam and post videos online of their antics.

• Greg likes this

#72 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:07 AM

Because you do.  Let's see.  13781 posts here.  Now you can post on the way to work instead of worrying about staying at 40km/h which will be the speed limit everywhere.

#73 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:32 AM

Even Kia is getting in although late. They are all piling in so they don't lose their market to silicon valley...
http://www.autocar.c...-technology-ces

Oh boy, I can't wait to be in a self-driving car that says "K.I.A." on the front and back of it.

#74 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:33 AM

Because you do.  Let's see.  13781 posts here.  Now you can post on the way to work instead of worrying about staying at 40km/h which will be the speed limit everywhere.

The speed limit should double if everyone is being carted around by an autonomous buggy. After all, they're able to make decisions much more quickly than humans, right?
  • lanforod likes this

#75 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:06 AM

The speed limit should double if everyone is being carted around by an autonomous buggy. After all, they're able to make decisions much more quickly than humans, right?

The speed limit won't have to double.  You'll presumably never have to wait at a light again because the car will compute the optimal speed for you and everyone else to get to their destination, with appropriate gaps for pedestrians and cyclists.  

#76 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:50 AM

speed limits need not apply to completely autonomous cars. Fastest safe travel route.

#77 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:02 PM

"Rules" of stopping distance required based on speed still applies to autonomous cars, so no you won't have speed limits of 80km in the city because even an autonomous car can't stop fast enough to save little Timmy running out to get his ball.

• Coreyburger likes this

#78 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:15 PM

It can fire a protective drone that picks Timmy up and deposits him in his mother's arms before the car even gets to that spot. :thumbsup:

• nagel likes this

#79 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:26 PM

Looking forward to having this guy as my taxi driver.

Attached Images

• robot1.jpg

• rjag, dasmo and nagel like this

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#80 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

dasmo, on 06 Jan 2016 - 01:06 AM, said:

Autonomous will be ready and available in five year no doubt. It's just that a person will need to be at the wheel for a while longer. The benefits to the customer are huge. It's the first personal robot IMO. IF you own one then think about this. You can now text, call, work, read or whatever while driving. You can go out for dinner and drinks and have the car drive you home. You can navigate automatically the best way avoiding traffic congestion real time without risking an accident by constantly checking your phone. You can feel safe lending your car to the kids. You can feel safe driving with the kids because of the much improved accident avoidance. The car can pull up and be warmed up ready to go at your front door. The car can help you perform tasks while driving. "Dave, usually you get a coffee on the way to work. Did your want me to order it for you and redirect our route to pick it up? It will only add two minutes to our journey." "Dave, your wife just input a pickup list for your return journey. I have pre ordered the items and scheduled the pickup rout for our drive home. Do you accept?". 

If it finally comes that you don't need to be in the car then the benefits get bigger. You can have it pick up the kids from school. You can simply have it perform errands for you. Public transit becomes revolutionized. Shipping is now the job of robots. Busses are obsolete and replaced by connected pods that are much more flexible and can micro bill plus pickup from anywhere. They can adjust to market demand more quickly and the administrative costs are greatly reduced. etc etc. 

https://embed.thegua...-transportation

And we will all have private aircraft that pick us up at the door and take us where we want to go...oh, wait, that was the Jetson's.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users