• Please log in to reply
11591 replies to this topic

#1261 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:18 AM

Why is there even a driver?

That wiper on the roadster looks ridiculous. That shot is from a concept I guess. I'd wager that wiper does not make it into final production like that.

#1262 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:19 AM

http://business.fina...c-big-rig-truck

0 to 60 in 1.9 seconds, 1,000 miles on single charge, new $200,000 Tesla Roadster steals show from electric big-rig Elon Musk stuns his audience by pulling the gorgeous red Roadster, the fastest production car ever, out of the back of his new semi truck
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1263 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:25 AM

Holy shitsnacks.   Tesla Semi and Roadster 2 announced.   Semi will have 800km of range fully loaded, go 0-100 in 5 seconds or 20seconds fully loaded, and 40% faster up hills than diesel trucks.   30 min of charging to add 650km of range.  1 million mile warranty.  Available 2019.   

Better build Site C. And D. And E. 

• sebberry likes this

#1264 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:28 AM

Holy shitsnacks.   Tesla Semi and Roadster 2 announced.   Semi will have 800km of range fully loaded, go 0-100 in 5 seconds or 20seconds fully loaded, and 40% faster up hills than diesel trucks.   30 min of charging to add 650km of range.  1 million mile warranty.  Available 2019.   

img_20171116_2029041.jpg

Roadster 2 will do 0-100 in 1.9 seconds.   8.9 second quarter mile.  1000km range.  Available 2020.  

image_uploaded_from_ios_1024-4.jpg

Even if they back off those specs a bit and deliver late like they always do that will be insane.   

“The point of doing this is to give a hardcore smackdown to internal combustion cars.” – Elon

Hope about they deliver on the model 3 before getting excited about new vehicles. That is Tesla though, always selling the dream.

• rjag and jonny like this

#1265 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:45 AM

Just checked, for giggles, with Tesla on the price to reserve a roadster. The deposit to reserve a founders series car is $322K! No word yet on the final price of the car.

#1266 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:50 AM

Eh? Pricing was announced as 200k MSRP, but first 1000 cars are 250k. USD - so are you looking at CAD? That would be the full price, its not a deposit, and yes, the full price is required for the founder series.

edit: I guess the term MSRP is incorrect here... as the retailer is the manufacturer...

Edited by lanforod, 17 November 2017 - 08:51 AM.

#1267 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:51 AM

I suspect most purchasers will end up paying more anyways, once they add all the options...

#1268 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

Why hasn't car sharing taken off? 

Because a subscription car service is not the same thing. Don't underestimate the laziness factor. 

Car share: reserve a car or hope one is available, make your way to the parking location, drive yourself, find parking etc

Subscription: using an app schedule your ride or call one, it appears at your location, drives you and leaves

Those are two very different experiences of transport.

• LeoVictoria likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#1269 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:48 AM

Isn’t it a no brainer that a semi would be a good candidate for electric? Lots of room to stick batteries. And change them out as required at the yard or service Centre.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1270 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:54 AM

Isn’t it a no brainer that a semi would be a good candidate for electric? Lots of room to stick batteries. And change them out as required at the yard or service Centre.

I'm interested to see how that would work. Great candidate for reduced pollution and where it really would shine is the long haul.

The Porsche Cayenne hybrid that I drove last year had a battery that would work for the first 75-100km but it was more a hybrid, the part that jumped out was the notice that you could not tow anything as it would damage the electric drive.....I wonder how this differs?  What type of drive is in the rig that can allow big weight compared to cars as this is the concern about EV pickup trucks etc

Edited by rjag, 17 November 2017 - 10:29 AM.

#1271 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:58 AM

Eh? Pricing was announced as 200k MSRP, but first 1000 cars are 250k. USD - so are you looking at CAD? That would be the full price, its not a deposit, and yes, the full price is required for the founder series.

edit: I guess the term MSRP is incorrect here... as the retailer is the manufacturer...

That is the pricing on the website to reserve a vehicle. If history is any example, the final price is never close to what Elon announces it to be initially.

#1272 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

That is the pricing on the website to reserve a vehicle. If history is any example, the final price is never close to what Elon announces it to be initially.

Do a little searching... its 50k to reserve one. 250k to buy (not reserve) a founder series one.

#1273 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:54 PM

Looks like the finance guys aren't enamored by the announcement and look at it as just a distraction from the ongoing production problems and a way to attract more investment to offset their $1 billion plus per quarter burn rate

We suggest that desperate times call for desperate measures. Mr. Musk understands that, given the Model 3 problems and no profitability in sight, at a billion plus per quarter burn rate, Tesla needs massive capital infusion.

Announcing products like the trucks and the Roadster that are, at the minimum, 2 or 3 years away, achieves two purposes:

• Crowdfunding through deposits.
  • Capital raise through yet another bright object on the horizon.

https://seekingalpha...of=45&dr=1#alt1

Edited by rjag, 17 November 2017 - 12:55 PM.

• jonny likes this

#1274 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:57 PM

At some point, the age old formula of revenue >/= expenditures comes into play. 

• rjag likes this

#1275 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:58 PM

Do a little searching... its 50k to reserve one. 250k to buy (not reserve) a founder series one.

My original comment referred to the founders series.

Founders Series Roadster reservations require an initial $6,000 credit card payment, plus a $316,000 wire transfer payment due in 10 days. Reservations are not final until the wire transfer payment is received.

#1276 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:03 PM

At some point, the age old formula of revenue >/= expenditures comes into play. 

Exactly, I actually like the concept of EV's and the new frontiers being opened....however this is like 1999 dot com all over again. 

#1277 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:09 PM

I'm interested to see how that would work. Great candidate for reduced pollution and where it really would shine is the long haul.

The Porsche Cayenne hybrid that I drove last year had a battery that would work for the first 75-100km but it was more a hybrid, the part that jumped out was the notice that you could not tow anything as it would damage the electric drive.....I wonder how this differs?  What type of drive is in the rig that can allow big weight compared to cars as this is the concern about EV pickup trucks etc

All freight trains in North America are electric.  They pull some kind of weight.

• rjag and Matt R. like this

#1278 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:16 PM

All freight trains in North America are electric.  They pull some kind of weight.

Diesel electric, lots of ships are as well. But the difference is battery power on its own, different type of power source. 

#1279 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:30 PM

My original comment referred to the founders series.

Founders Series Roadster reservations require an initial $6,000 credit card payment, plus a $316,000 wire transfer payment due in 10 days. Reservations are not final until the wire transfer payment is received.

Yes, and that is in Canadian dollars, and that is the full price, not a deposit (though as I mentioned, you can probably pay more for options when the time comes).

#1280 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:16 PM

Yes, and that is in Canadian dollars, and that is the full price, not a deposit (though as I mentioned, you can probably pay more for options when the time comes).

The "full" price has not yet been determined. Elon's announced prices are never anywhere near the final price. You pay the deposit which is then applied against the purchase price. 3-4 years later they will then ask you for more in order to finalize the deal.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)