Photo

Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11568 replies to this topic

#1681 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:50 AM

^Thanks for that, I was thinking the same thing. We were watching a resampled YouTube video taken from a dashcam. Our eyes are much better. 

It reminded me of that scare I had driving on Shelbourne, where a crazy cyclist darted in front of my car at night. I had less than a second to react--I instinctively jerked the steering wheel and avoided a crash. I think the Uber driver had similar if not more warning. At least the pedestrian would have hit the left fender instead of head on.

• Mike K. likes this

#1682 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:54 AM

It appears there's some sort of quasi-intersection or driveway off to the left where she was struck. Perhaps the pedestrian was treating it as a crosswalk. Remember, a lot of jurisdictions treat an intersection as a legal pedestrian crossing even if there are no paint markings. Make no mistake, she was being foolish, but perhaps assumed a driver would stop.

#1683 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:30 PM

The huge failure here is the driver.

The technology is undergoing testing.  The entire point of that testing is to find these cases and figure out how to handle them.   If it could already handle them all there woudln't be any testing.   From the video. the driver clearly wasn't paying attention like they are paid to do.    If they were they probably could have avoided this crash.   Driver/uber at fault and opportunity to improve the system for next time.

#1684 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:49 PM

^I could drive a car for hours. I could also relax as a passenger for hours. But I don't know if I could be in the drivers seat of an autonomous car for hours. You can't focus on driving and you can't really relax, either. I think it would be torture. I feel sorry for the driver.

• jonny likes this

#1685 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:28 PM

I agree that’s it’a hard to think a person can suddenly appear like that.

But also look, some would say that person was sooooo in the wrong to be there. Nobody would be expected to miss her.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1686 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:54 PM

Apparently Uber has been displeased with the technology so far. A lot of little things cause it to fail to navigate correctly, one instance being a tall vehicle in the next lane.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1687 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:59 AM

Apparently Uber has been displeased with the technology so far. A lot of little things cause it to fail to navigate correctly, one instance being a tall vehicle in the next lane.

It is like any sort of software development. The first 90% of the application is easy and takes very little time to complete. The last 10% is what takes the time and effort. I don't blame Tesla, Uber, Waymo and the others for taking the Government's free / cheap money to develop autonomous vehicles. Hype sells.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1688 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:42 AM

It is like any sort of software development. The first 90% of the application is easy and takes very little time to complete. The last 10% is what takes the time and effort. I don't blame Tesla, Uber, Waymo and the others for taking the Government's free / cheap money to develop autonomous vehicles. Hype sells.

What free money?

#1689 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:04 PM

What free money?

Here is $5B US for starters. 

http://www.latimes.c...0531-story.html

The Canadian Government is about to waste another $1.3B 

https://www.canada.c...ation-fund.html

Edited by spanky123, 24 March 2018 - 12:05 PM.

#1690 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:10 PM

But but...

Program objectives
The Strategic Innovation Fund's objective is to spur innovation for a better Canada.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1691 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:25 PM

Bombardier

#1692 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:43 PM

But but...

Program objectives
The Strategic Innovation Fund's objective is to spur innovation for a better Canada.

What this really is is appeasement for US firms with operations in Canada who are now threatening to reduce their footprint because of the tax differential. 

#1693 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:27 PM

http://driving.ca/au...source=Facebook

#1694 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:38 PM

Here is $5B US for starters. 

http://www.latimes.c...0531-story.html

The Canadian Government is about to waste another $1.3B 

https://www.canada.c...ation-fund.html

The first article is total nonsense and has been debunked many many times.   Also has nothing to do with autonomous driving.  

The second program also is not about autonomous driving, although perhaps some of the grants will go towards that.

The idea that R&D funding is a waste is hilarious though. Right out of the Valeant Pharmaceuticals handbook.

#1695 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:42 PM

And fuel cell is going nowhere.  The chance of replacing all of our fueling infrastructure with hydrogen is zero.   Meanwhile we already have electricity everywhere and costs/charge time are dropping rapidly.

Hydrogen may have some small applications in boats and heavy trucking.  Not in the consumer transportation market though.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 25 March 2018 - 01:42 PM.

#1696 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:52 PM

"John Krafcik, chief executive of Waymo, formerly Google’s autonomous vehicle project, said Waymo’s cars are intensively programmed to avoid such calamities.

“I can say with some confidence that in situations like that one with pedestrians — in this case a pedestrian with a bicycle — we have a lot of confidence that our technology would be robust and would be able to handle situations like that,” Krafcik said Saturday during a panel at the National Automobile Dealers Association convention in Las Vegas."

https://www.washingt...m=.f08e60c53d69

#1697 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:00 PM

So how does it work legally speaking if I was in the drivers seat on a full self driving car, but lets say I was drunk.  I don't drive drunk but I am curious because am I legally driving the car or not?  I could be a passenger technically

#1698 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:02 PM

Technically this technology is "driver assist" not autonomous so the driver is 100% responsible.

#1699 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 03:03 PM

Do Victoria or any of the other CRD municipalities have any regulations on providing EV charging in new construction? I see that Vancouver is considering a motion to require charging in 100% of residential parking spots in new construction, which is something that Richmond adopted into the zoning bylaw last year. Every parking space assigned to a resident must have an outlet capable of Level 2 charging or higher.

The City is considering it

http://www.victoria....ing-review.html

#1700 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 March 2018 - 03:41 PM

Stop by Nissan today and the New Nissan Leaf looks great in person. Could be a half decent seller with gas prices persist at $1.50+.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users