Photo

Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11581 replies to this topic

#1841 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:03 AM

Jesus, I’ve never seen such an affinity for questionable quality.

Tesla has a loyal following and enjoys a massive tech industry presence. But for gosh sakes, they can’t meet their own targets, their vehicles are not meeting expectations and the computer technology that gave the cars an edge has come under scrutiny.

...and yet? We’re to praise them for operating at 40% capacity, brush aside friggen gaps as no big deal, and call bad design nothing more than an old man’s musings? Dudes and dudettes, maybe it’s time to put down the Kool-Aid and ride this out?

They are the worlds leading EV manufacturer with extremely high customer satisfaction rates. Is that koolaid or is that just the facts?

Sure Elon chronically over promises, that was clear to people years ago. Thing is he promises insane things and then only accomplished remarkable things. Some people look at that and see failure, others look at it and see success.

What is interesting is how people that normally are very much about increasing American jobs and competitiveness are many of the same people bashing Tesla at every opportunity. As you say it seems like the political interests (EVs bad, oil good) are overriding the idea of American innovation and manufacturing.

#1842 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:07 AM

But the difference is nobody will look you in the eye and hold up Cadillac as some vestibule of modern automotive quality and engineering.

These new Teslas are lame ducks like Cadillacs in terms of quality. But here we are...

And you won’t see 1000 articles about Volvo speculating about their quality. Tesla gets a hugely disproportionate amount of scrutiny and criticism.
Why? Some is deserved, some is the huge short interests trying to drive down the stock, and some is the established industries trying to fight against a disruptive new competitor. Heck Tesla is fighting dozens of lawsuits just to be able to sell its cars in many states.

#1843 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:11 AM

I think Tesla is like any other product. You can’t have all of low price, top performance, excellent reliability, high cool factor, fabulous after sales service and low operating cost all in one car.

So there are trade offs. We all make them every single day, to suit ourselves.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1844 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:14 AM

They are the worlds leading EV manufacturer with extremely high customer satisfaction rates. Is that koolaid or is that just the facts?

Sure Elon chronically over promises, that was clear to people years ago. Thing is he promises insane things and then only accomplished remarkable things. Some people look at that and see failure, others look at it and see success.

What is interesting is how people that normally are very much about increasing American jobs and competitiveness are many of the same people bashing Tesla at every opportunity. As you say it seems like the political interests (EVs bad, oil good) are overriding the idea of American innovation and manufacturing.

Not sure about leading, maybe most high-profile in North America.

https://www.fastcomp...-never-heard-of

The problem with over-promising is based on an inflated ego. He hasn't quite learned the art of under=promising and over-delivering which creates far more credibility and confidence from the market.

Has he done some incredible things? Absolutely. Is he a disruptor? Yup. Is he the answer to all the worlds transport problems? Nope. Is he an arrogant S.O.B.? Yup but you have to be to make the kind of barnum and bailey claims like he does.

#1845 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,554 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:16 AM

Tesla gets a hugely disproportionate amount of scrutiny and criticism.
Why?

Because the company was founded on promises it couldn't, and still can't deliver.

Tesla gets as much scrutiny as it does because it has legions of people pumping up the company and praising the word of its billionaire CEO as heavenly gospel. And most of these people don't even own the vehicle or the stock, but they fall in with the political aspect of the Tesla equation and plenty of folks observing this allegiance see right through it.

I'm a Cadillac guy myself. But even I know the new Caddy's are heaps of junk reserved solely for those who lease vehicles at two year spurts. Start a Cadillac discussion and I'll even lead the charge with my criticism, lol.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1846 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:53 AM

Because the company was founded on promises it couldn't, and still can't deliver.

Tesla gets as much scrutiny as it does because it has legions of people pumping up the company and praising the word of its billionaire CEO as heavenly gospel. And most of these people don't even own the vehicle or the stock, but they fall in with the political aspect of the Tesla equation and plenty of folks observing this allegiance see right through it.

I'm a Cadillac guy myself. But even I know the new Caddy's are heaps of junk reserved solely for those who lease vehicles at two year spurts. Start a Cadillac discussion and I'll even lead the charge with my criticism, lol.

Up until recently Nissan had sold more EVs than Tesla (I believe they are roughly equal now).  On an environmental impact side, a low range EV is better than a long range one, but I don't see very many people too excited about Nissan as some kind of environmental poster boy.   I really doubt the politics is as big of a factor as you think.  

Like I said, forget the promises, look at the results on their own.   Tesla has outdone every auto manufacturer so far on the transition to EVs which is inevitable.  They are also a part of the reason why the whole industry is now investing heavily in EVs because they showed the demand is there.   Will they be able to sustain that once the big boys shift their focus?  Who knows.  But so far they are ahead.

#1847 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,554 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:19 AM

Like I said, forget the promises, look at the results on their own.

That's exactly what the market is doing and why the company's stock price has plunged.

The results don't match the hype.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1848 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:21 AM

That's exactly what the market is doing and why the company's stock price has plunged.

Up 7% just today alone!

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1849 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:23 AM

I keep waiting for Tesla to veer into the power grid battery thing, and ditch these consumer cars.

https://electrek.co/...alia-1-million/

#1850 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:54 PM

I keep waiting for Tesla to veer into the power grid battery thing, and ditch these consumer cars.

https://electrek.co/...alia-1-million/

If we moved to variable pricing for electricity then this might make sense for the purpose outlined in the article. 

#1851 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:58 AM

Up 7% just today alone!

Aaaand back to $300.  

#1852 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:04 AM

Aaaand back to $300.  

Sigh.....I'll never jump into this stock :)

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#1853 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:47 AM

Aaaand back to $300.

My favourite cult stock! Go Elon!

#1854 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:39 AM

The country will this year end shareholding limits for new energy vehicle firms such as those that produce electric cars, according to the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC).

The move will be followed by commercial vehicles in 2020 and passenger cars in 2022, when it will also abolish restrictions limiting foreign automakers to two joint-venture partners, the NDRC said in a statement.

"After a five-year transition period, the auto sector will lift all restrictions," it said.

Auto analysts said the new rules will have the most immediate benefit for electric car makers, especially those with a less established presence in China.

A boon for Tesla 
One car company likely to gain is electric car giant Tesla led by entrepreneur Elon Musk, who this year had asked US President Donald Trump for help on the market access issue, alluding to the troubles his firm has faced producing in China.

http://www.newindian...rs-1802708.html

#1855 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:33 PM

Drove to the interior and back in my 2013 Leaf.    Purely for entertainment purposes, it is not a road trip car, for that you need a Tesla.   Had a week off and took my daughter on a little EV adventure.    Way up I drove the canyon and stopped at the Abbotsford ECO Dairy for a tour, then Hope (playground), Boston Bar, Spences Bridge, Merritt where we stayed overnight.   Then Kamloops and Salmon Arm.   

Way back we drove direct on the coquihalla.   Charging stops:  Kamloops, Merritt, Hope, Abbotsford.   

Total KM: 1340

Total fast charging cost:  $19.64

Approx slow charging cost: $6.40

Energy Efficiency:  ~145wH/km   = 1.6L/100km or 147MPG gas equivalent

Cost Efficiency: ~1.9 cents/km = 157MPG gas equivalent

GHG Efficiency:  1.3gCO2/km = ~4000MPG gas equivalent

Charging in Spences Bridge

IMG_0545.JPG

Nice to see the fast chargers being built out on the island now as well.  Sidney, Port Alberni, Uclulet, Nanaimo, Courtnay, Campbell River.   Although the range of the original Leaf is short, the practical range of it is expanding with more fast chargers.

• Mike K., Rob Randall, sebberry and 2 others like this

#1856 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:37 PM

Also the other day drove the 4 km to Hillside mall.   Saw tons of EVs of nearly every model.  Lots of original Leafs, Soul EV, i3, Tesla S, Tesla X, Bolt EV, New Nissan Leaf (looks great), iMiev..   Adoption really taking off now, and the gas prices aren't hurting that trend.

#1857 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:01 PM

Even with my trade, I'd be spending $28,000+ for a Leaf.  That buys a lot of 91 octane fuel even at today's prices. 

I'll keep what I have. :) 

A friend just bought a new car.  Was looking at plug-in hybrids and even pure electrics, but uncertainty about where he might be living in a few years and access to an outlet steered him to a pure gas vehicle. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1858 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,554 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:01 AM

Nice, that sounds like a great road trip.

Know it all.

#1859 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:13 AM

Even with my trade, I'd be spending $28,000+ for a Leaf. That buys a lot of 91 octane fuel even at today's prices.

I'll keep what I have. :)

A friend just bought a new car. Was looking at plug-in hybrids and even pure electrics, but uncertainty about where he might be living in a few years and access to an outlet steered him to a pure gas vehicle.

Yeah mass adoption is still a few years away. Prices need to be lower still for more range. That said most of the leafs you see around town were bought used and can be had for about $15k these days for a good one.

#1860 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:27 AM

Yeah mass adoption is still a few years away. Prices need to be lower still for more range. That said most of the leafs you see around town were bought used and can be had for about $15k these days for a good one.

Agreed. Most Island drivers would not see economic value with an electric car with gas at $2 a litre. Not to say that there are not environmental reasons to buy a car, just that trying to solely make an economic argument is hard.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Victoria Watcher