#1961 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:17 AM

The transition is inevitable.

Resistance is futile.

Hehe, nice Borg quote!

At the rate its going my unborn grandchildren may be interested!

But in all seriousness and bias aside, got a long way to go, Canada Q1 2018 EV sales 5,600 compared to Q1 2018 sales 429,000

https://www.greencar...ime-rivals-volt

https://canadianauto...arket-downturn/

#1962 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:59 AM

Well it helps to set the show in Georgia and Virginia, rather than Alberta...

Maybe. Ever rebuilt a gummed up carburator? Takes months for an engine to get gummed up.

#1963 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:35 AM

Hehe, nice Borg quote!

At the rate its going my unborn grandchildren may be interested!

But in all seriousness and bias aside, got a long way to go, Canada Q1 2018 EV sales 5,600 compared to Q1 2018 sales 429,000

https://www.greencar...ime-rivals-volt

https://canadianauto...arket-downturn/

1.5% is not too shabby :) Let's wait for the BASE model 3 to become available. If EVs aren't 5% market share within 12 months of the BASE model 3 being readily available, I'll be surprised.

Once a critical mass of 5 to 10% is hit game over for ICEs. 

• rjag likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#1964 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:44 AM

its going to be game over for free charging stations too!!!

Might be a good time to invest in a home charger installation business

#1965 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:46 AM

Free charging stations never made too much sense.

I’m OK with shopping malls if they want. But at public places like parkades it seems odd.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 May 2018 - 11:48 AM.

• tedward and jonny like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1966 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:56 AM

its going to be game over for free charging stations too!!!

Might be a good time to invest in a home charger installation business

I don't understand who has time to use free charging stations to save $2.....so much easier to plug in at home and go to sleep.

• rjag and lanforod like this

#1967 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 12:38 PM

I don't understand who has time to use free charging stations to save $2.....so much easier to plug in at home and go to sleep.

Perhaps they live in a condo or have to park on the street. Most people don't have a private driveway or a garage.

#1968 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 12:45 PM

One guy I know works nights downtown. Lives in Metchosin. Parks for free and plugs in every night for free at a downtown parkade. Never pays for fuel.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 May 2018 - 12:46 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1969 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:20 PM

Perhaps they live in a condo or have to park on the street. Most people don't have a private driveway or a garage.

If I didn't have a private driveway, garage, or close to a plug in a condo building I wouldn't buy an electric car at this point and time.

#1970 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:35 PM

1.5% is not too shabby :) Let's wait for the BASE model 3 to become available. If EVs aren't 5% market share within 12 months of the BASE model 3 being readily available, I'll be surprised.

I really don't think a 60k car is going to make the difference here. EV will start to take over when the 35k CAD for a new one comes out, in multiple model types (small SUV, large SUV, pickup truck, commuter car). Right now, 40k will get you a Leaf or a Bolt, the only really acceptable options at this point. No wonder sales are low.

#1971 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:10 PM

I really don't think a 60k car is going to make the difference here. EV will start to take over when the 35k CAD for a new one comes out, in multiple model types (small SUV, large SUV, pickup truck, commuter car). Right now, 40k will get you a Leaf or a Bolt, the only really acceptable options at this point. No wonder sales are low.

I don't think the Model 3 will be solely responsible for the 1.5% to 5%; more so, in the next 24 to 36 months (time frame base 3 is available plus 12 months) there will be more options hitting the road. The Nissan Leaf which is already selling well will further improve next year, etc.

I didn't think the Model 3 would be a huge seller in Canada but if the $1.56 gas persists it very well could be. A lot of the cars it competes with take premium which is probably $1.8....don't visit gas stations so wouldn't know :)

Momentum will start to build as time goes on. I personally haven't come across a Tesla owner that would go back to ICE.

#1972 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:39 PM

Tesla's are great, for those who can afford them. The EV market will not take off until they compete on price and availability with ICE. I'm certainly looking forward to it, but hurry up already!  :1954_dancing:

#1973 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:06 AM

Tesla's are great, for those who can afford them. The EV market will not take off until they compete on price and availability with ICE. I'm certainly looking forward to it, but hurry up already!  :1954_dancing:

Slowly getting there. I think Model 3 will be a decent competitor to 3 Series, C-Class, A4 and Nissan Leaf competes on price when you factor in the incentives :)

#1974 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:26 PM

Model 3 dual motor performance version open for orders

Performance version will feature a carbon fiber spoiler, 20” Performance wheels, and black and white interior options.  He claimed it will be 15% quicker than the BMW M3 and with better handling, and “will beat anything in its class on the track.”

Here are the other details of the Model 3 performance version:

• Range: 500 km
  • 0 to 60 mph acceleration: 3.5 seconds
  • Top speed: 250km/h
  • Price: $78,000USD (without autopilot)

Pricey of course, but for the cost of a ordinary Model S I think this is a better deal for way more range and more performance.   I wonder about the claim of track performance though.  So far Teslas have not been good on the track because the batteries overheat I wonder if they've fixed that.

https://electrek.co/...mance-versions/

tesla-model-3-franz1-e1522505590557.jpg

Edited by LeoVictoria, 20 May 2018 - 12:31 PM.

#1975 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:29 PM

Yeah 1.5% share with realistically only the Leaf and Teslas available.  Bolt has a 12 month wait list.  Ioniq is impossible to buy as well.   More options and the share will improve.  In the short term it's going to be the Model 3 that will bring the percent share up substantially.   New leaf is good too, but needs to start at $25k to really sell in big numbers.

#1976 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:00 PM

Model 3 dual motor performance version open for orders

Performance version will feature a carbon fiber spoiler, 20” Performance wheels, and black and white interior options.  He claimed it will be 15% quicker than the BMW M3 and with better handling, and “will beat anything in its class on the track.”

Here are the other details of the Model 3 performance version:

• Range: 310 miles
  • 0 to 60 mph acceleration: 3.5 seconds
  • Top speed: 155 mph
  • Price: $78,000USD (without autopilot)

Pricey of course, but for the cost of a ordinary Model S I think this is a better deal for way more range and more performance.   I wonder about the claim of track performance though.  So far Teslas have not been good on the track because the batteries overheat I wonder if they've fixed that.

https://electrek.co/...mance-versions/

Not sure I agree. This will be over $100,000 CND so the base Model S will be cheaper, bigger, two screens, etc., and it is a 4.3 second car so it isn't much slower. I guess the range is less is the big thing.

#1977 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 02:34 PM

The best selling vehicles in 2017 were vans, SUVs and big ass pickup trucks. The Leaf is nothing more than a niche vehicle for west coasters. Tesla is a niche manufacturer that may or may not be insolvent this year. I would hold off on the bold predictions.
  • Matt R. likes this

#1978 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:37 PM

The best selling vehicles in 2017 were vans, SUVs and big ass pickup trucks. The Leaf is nothing more than a niche vehicle for west coasters. Tesla is a niche manufacturer that may or may not be insolvent this year. I would hold off on the bold predictions.

In 10 years there will be big ass pickup trucks on battery. You'll either be a redneck in a big ass pickup that pay $150 to fill up or a redneck in a big ass pickup that pays $10 to charge up.

#1979 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:39 PM

Is range and cost really 15x better for electrics?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 May 2018 - 03:40 PM.

#1980 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:56 PM

I suspect electric trucks are going to be the last to appear, but part of the reason that people drive trucks is also that currently it's not that different from driving anything else.   Sure it costs a lot in gas, but so does any SUV or minivan.   So might as well drive the cooler truck.   But when you can get an SUV that costs a fraction to run, you need to be much more determined to buy into the fossil truck.   

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)