Group of guys jump off Goldstream E&N railroad trestle on New Year's Day

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:45 AM

This is nuts. Totally nuts. But hey, whatever rocks your boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-WmbFg8Toc

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:41 AM

Nice message though!

#3 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:10 PM

delete

Edited by 57WestHills, 07 January 2016 - 03:10 PM.

#4 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:12 PM

That's the dumbest thing I've seen.. and it would have been really dumb if at 16 seconds in, that rope went around his neck.

#5 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:53 PM

"the video has been removed by user"

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:59 PM

"the video has been removed by user"

The moderators from VIA ?

#7 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:19 PM

More likely somebody pointed out that they could get charged with trespass and that video is great evidence.

#8 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:02 PM

How could they get charged with trespass? There are no signs, no fencing, nothing at all to give you any hint that you are not allowed onto the bridge.

As for the jumping - not really my thing, really, but if they are big kids, know what they are doing, and are ready to accept the (severe) consequences of an error in judgement or setup, then what's the problem?
  • todd likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#9 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:41 PM

They were not bungee jumping.

The guy jumped off the trestle as he threw his coil of rope off, which could have gone around a limb or his neck.

In which case we wouldn't have seen the video in the first place.

• todd likes this

#10 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:49 PM

How could they get charged with trespass? There are no signs, no fencing, nothing at all to give you any hint that you are not allowed onto the bridge.

At some point on their walk there they would have run into a no trespassing sign. There are a fair number up around the level crossings.

#11 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:52 PM

At some point on their walk there they would have run into a no trespassing sign. There are a fair number up around the level crossings.

Guess they had their heads turned at that point in their journey.

Edited by todd, 08 January 2016 - 10:52 PM.

#12 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:33 PM

Sounds like first hand knowledge.  I'm sure you respected the signs and turned back.

#13 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:57 AM

As for the jumping - not really my thing, really, but if they are big kids, know what they are doing, and are ready to accept the (severe) consequences of an error in judgement or setup, then what's the problem?

How about the people that need to go up their to grab their mangled body split open like a water melon. Would you be saying "what's the problem" then?  Those types of visuals last a life time and it's ****ing selfish to do really stupid things when others have to clean up after you.

Real Estate, Landscape and Family Photographer
http://www.vandervalk.ca

#14 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:14 PM

How about the people that need to go up their to grab their mangled body split open like a water melon. Would you be saying "what's the problem" then?  Those types of visuals last a life time and it's ****ing selfish to do really stupid things when others have to clean up after you.

People shouldn't get into the coroner/emergency business if that's going to leave a lasting impact on them.... but if you want to argue the waste of tax dollars retrieving your less than intelligent corpse you may have a point.

Guy down the road before he moved used to love going out kayaking in rough seas the local RCMSAR unit kept on trying to rescue him and tell him he shouldn't be out there, he finally made a deal with them that they were not coming out for him and if he dies so be it...... I guess you could argue an emotionally sensitive person may find his body before emergency crews, *odds are nobody will find it.

*Statistics VHF

#15 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:35 PM

Guy down the road before he moved used to love going out kayaking in rough seas the local RCMSAR unit kept on trying to rescue him and tell him he shouldn't be out there, he finally made a deal with them that they were not coming out for him and if he dies so be it...... I guess you could argue an emotionally sensitive person may find his body before emergency crews, *odds are nobody will find it.

*Statistics VHF

I don't believe that.. RCM-SAR is tasked by JRCC. They don't get to pick and choose what calls they go out to and who they rescue. If a call comes through, they go and don't ask questions.

#16 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:09 PM

I don't believe that.. RCM-SAR is tasked by JRCC. They don't get to pick and choose what calls they go out to and who they rescue. If a call comes through, they go and don't ask questions.

That's the deal they made, they can also tell JRCC whatever they want with little repercussions because they are volunteers, (this was a fairly long time ago before it was common to have a portable VHF and SAR boats equipped with AIS) 

#17 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:52 PM

Sounds like first hand knowledge.  I'm sure you respected the signs and turned back.

I haven't walked out that way in years (and certainly not to the trestle)

#18 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:31 PM

That's the deal they made, they can also tell JRCC whatever they want with little repercussions because they are volunteers, (this was a fairly long time ago before it was common to have a portable VHF and SAR boats equipped with AIS) 

Perhaps many moons ago, but that wouldn't be the case now. There would be large repercussions if that were the case. Volunteers or not, they are accountable and required to be ready 24/7. Coast Guard partially funds RCM-SAR and we have mandates. 

I'm a Station Leader with RCM-SAR and have been involved for over 8 years. I also work at the RCM-SAR Regional Head Office overseeing all the stations in Operations as a full time job. 

#19 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:46 PM

Ok first of all its not a trestle, its a bridge. Big difference between the two.

Second there is a common misconception that the line is abandoned, it is not and people I have talked to seem to think that. So what these nuts are doing is dangerous and is tresspassing. Yes I know many do walk along the corridor and on the bridge, but jumping off it with ropes guarantees these guys a spot in the grave yard.

I have been on the corridor with permission from the ICF, these people have not.

Unfortunately the ICF or SRY are not doing their job of preventing this kind of stupidity.

Below is the original crossing (a trestle) about 1886 before it was replaced by the current structure (a bridge) in about 1913

01-4-trestle-1.jpg

Edited by UrbanRail, 11 January 2016 - 02:53 PM.

#20 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:16 PM

Okay fine, I guess we could track them down and make an example out of them. I suppose we could hire a private investigation team on Fiverr.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users