Photo

The Boy, Hollywood blockbuster horror film, features Victoria's Craigdarroch Castle

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:24 PM

I knew there would be a guy.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:52 PM

The cast is being lauded.  So that's cool.

http://www.rottentom....com/m/the_boy/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:33 PM

It's a solid 6.5/10.

I quite liked it, it was well put together. I can see why the masses wouldn't like it, though, with its lack of nudity, gore, constant action and stupid scare tactics. The end is well done.

I was surprised to see producers with Asian names listed in the opening credits. And I don't think I've seen an Asian-named production company (or whatever the orgs are that list themselves as "A brand-x film" behind an American film before, either.

Reading the reviews makes me think people spend the entire time trying to figure out the end from the moment the movie starts and getting miffed about any borrowed plot ideas. "Oh, pff, I've seen that before," or, "pfff, that scene was so designed to make me jump, pfff." Oi vey...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:42 PM

Well, it's getting a second week, so that's positive.

http://www.boxoffice...?id=boy2016.htm

$13M now, could get close to $20M by the end of next week.

Would that make it the highest-grossing theatrical release ever, primarily filmed here?  X-Men being mostly filmed away.

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:49 PM

Hmm. Possibly. Part of the fun for me was deciphering where the scenes were shot. And there was a ton of cgi "stiching" to make scenes look different. For example the castle background was totally fake, as were the backgrounds in many other scenes.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:06 PM

Hmm. Possibly. Part of the fun for me was deciphering where the scenes were shot. And there was a ton of cgi "stiching" to make scenes look different. For example the castle background was totally fake, as were the backgrounds in many other scenes.

And part of it was just done on a sound stage in Esquimalt.  Maybe very close-ups or was there a part of the house they could make in a studio?

Anyway, that's not a bad take for a low-budget ($10M) film, that actually had some marketing behind it.  By the time PPV and stuff is over, it's a winner.

#27 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:03 PM

Bird on a Wire did $145.9M in adjusted dollars, and was filmed around here.  Does that count?

#28 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:14 PM

Bird on a Wire did $145.9M in adjusted dollars, and was filmed around here.  Does that count?

Adjusted Canadian dollars, as of today?

Edited by Bingo, 30 January 2016 - 10:15 PM.

#29 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:32 PM

Adjusted Canadian dollars, as of today?

Adjusted to 2016 dollars, using boxofficemojo's tool, and that was domestic total, so probably in US.

I'll toss in Little Women, which had a fair amount of filming here, which brought in $101M in adjusted dollars.

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:57 AM

Still going in 977 theatres.

Up to $33M gross.

http://www.boxoffice...&id=boy2016.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users