UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Belmont Market Shopping Centre
Uses: commercial, office
Address: Jacklin Road at Jenkins Road
Municipality: Langford
Region: West Shore
Storeys: 1
Belmont Market Shopping Centre is comprised of 160,000 square feet of commercial space with a Thrifty Foods gr... (view full profile)
Learn more about Belmont Market Shopping Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

[Langford] Belmont Market | Commercial; rentals, condos | Under construction

Under Construction

• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

#21 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:13 AM

Totally uninspired and beige...

This would be a east coast mega corporations interpretation of "west coast" style.
  • jdsony, bluefox and 57WestHills like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#22 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,231 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:33 AM

I agree, but this is the type of shopping centre that seems to work well. Parking near every store. It's the opposite of the E*N rail roundhouse site, where you do not get to park close..

odds are you won't be able to park close to the store anyway and as is typical with these designs you will thus have to walk through a parking lot to the store. Odds are you will also drive to another store in the same complex. Why not cluster the stores closer together and create pedestrian friendly movement and gathering between them. Put the parking around the perimeter....
  • 57WestHills likes this

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:57 AM

odds are you won't be able to park close to the store anyway and as is typical with these designs you will thus have to walk through a parking lot to the store. Odds are you will also drive to another store in the same complex. Why not cluster the stores closer together and create pedestrian friendly movement and gathering between them. Put the parking around the perimeter....

It could be perception.  Occasionally you "get lucky" with a parking stall,and that keeps you coming back.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:54 PM

This would be a east coast mega corporations interpretation of "west coast" style.

Those damn maritimers and their mega corporations. 

#25 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:05 AM

Presumably the Thrifty's on Goldstream at Island Highway will close, and believe it or not, there is a lot of appetite for additional retail out on the Westshore. CanWest is getting old and tired and will likely undergo major renovations in the coming years. Retailers, especially chains, love brand new and that's what we're seeing the market provide.

"Canwest Mall" has been "Westshore Town Centre"

for 5 years now.  Just went through a major reno and expansion.  You need to get out here more often Mike K.

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:08 AM

Ok sure, Westhore Town Centre. Some parts of the mall have been improved but not the entirety. The actual mall component, not the new additions, are getting old and need to be improved. It's a shopping centre that's absolutely begging to be town down and re-envisioned like something Uptown-esque. Imagine something like that on the Westshore! It'd be a huge hit.

• nagel likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:16 AM

The interior had a complete face lift shortly after the expansion.  New stonework, new lighting and ceilings new floor surface and furnishings.

You may have driven past the mall but probably didn't go inside because it's next to impossible to find a parking space Thursday through Sunday...lol.  As a matter of fact I avoid this mall if I can.

Edited by Fairbanks, 25 January 2016 - 10:19 AM.

#28 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:18 AM

There shouldn't be an interior at all.  One improvement that could be made to Canwest Mall (that's right, I said it) is just rip the skylights out and make the shared space be outside.  I don't care where the rain water goes.

#29 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:18 AM

The interior had a complete face lift shortly after the expansion.  New stonework, new lighting and ceilings new floor surface and furnishings.

And yet it still feels dated when one walks around inside.

#30 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:20 AM

It makes you think about the choices you've made in your life that have led you to currently being in this hellhole mall.

• Nparker, Matt R. and bluefox like this

#31 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:21 AM

It makes you think about the choices you've made in your life that have led you to currently being in this hellhole mall.

LOLOL  

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:36 AM

Yeah, that's the thing. Despite the upgrades it still feels dated as I had no idea they had made changes to the interior. The layout also screams 1980's chic. Westshore needs a nice, modern shopping mall. Uptown (other than its horrendous walls) should be a major influence.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:39 AM

Yeah, that's the thing. Despite the upgrades it still feels dated as I had no idea they had made changes to the interior. The layout also screams 1980's chic. Westshore needs a nice, modern shopping mall. Uptown (other than its horrendous walls) should be a major influence.

You know, you might be right.  Westshore I think might be good with a indoor mall, like Mayfair.  Not an Uptown.

• Fairbanks likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#34 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:10 PM

You know, you might be right.  Westshore I think might be good with a indoor mall, like Mayfair.  Not an Uptown.

Or a combination of both.

#35 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:40 AM

http://www.timescolo...mayor-1.2158363

#36 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:49 AM

Belmont project completes Langford’s downtown: mayor

The project looks fine by me, but I'm not sure that I would refer to yet another strip mall/box stores along a long stretch road/highway to be a downtown of any sort.

Edited by thundergun, 27 January 2016 - 11:49 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#37 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:58 AM

Goldstream Ave is more downtown than Jacklin Rd area

#38 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,231 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:23 PM

The project looks fine by me, but I'm not sure that I would refer to yet another strip mall/box stores along a long stretch road/highway to be a downtown of any sort.

But it's the perfect downtown. No bikes and lots of parking...

• thundergun likes this

#39 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:04 PM

sounds like deep suburbia to me

• Fairbanks likes this

#40 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:47 PM

Excavation has started.  Parade of dumptrucks.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users