Photo

[Fairfield] Mount Edwards Court | Low Barrier Housing

• Please log in to reply
427 replies to this topic

#181 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:20 PM

Really? It's a school that only costs half the $$ per pupil of public money a public school costs.

And it teaches children.

What's more, it greatly adds to the vitality and diversity of downtown. We're losing so many of the interesting things that differentiate Downtown from any shopping mall. To pick a random example, the quirky belt buckle shop on Yates that is now yet another womens' fashion store. We've already lost one elementary school, it would be terrible to lose another, especially to unfounded fears.

• Nparker likes this

#182 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:28 PM

Unfounded fears did not doom St. Andrews. The clients of Our Place and hangers on doomed it. Do you think Fotoprint spent tens of thousands of dollars in fencing based on unfounded fears?
  • Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#183 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:44 PM

^I get your point but I don't think anyone at Our Place posed a serious risk to the students. Certainly no more than the risk around any other elementary school. I'd go as far to say they are statistically more likely to be harmed by their own teachers.

But yeah, I'm happy this whole thing seems to be resolving itself quickly.

#184 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:44 PM

What's more, it greatly adds to the vitality and diversity of downtown. We're losing so many of the interesting things that differentiate Downtown from any shopping mall. To pick a random example, the quirky belt buckle shop on Yates that is now yet another womens' fashion store. We've already lost one elementary school, it would be terrible to lose another, especially to unfounded fears.

Central Middle School is almost downtown, and all of the fears the school had when they put up tents in the old hall across the street haven't materialised.

• Benezet likes this

#185 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:45 PM

I don't believe this article about a school and a shelter has been posted in Vibrant Victoria yet. How odd.

http://www.timescolo...elter-1.2164561

[Edit: “'It was never an issue for the kids, they talked about it the first day back,’ Barwin said."]

Edited by Benezet, 03 February 2016 - 05:20 PM.

• Bingo likes this

#186 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:49 PM

Central Middle School is almost downtown, and all of the fears the school had when they put up tents in the old hall across the street haven't materialised.

It has at least three daytime workers, a 6am to 12 security. And it does not allow drugs or alcohol.
  • Bingo likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#187 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:53 PM

Why do we care if the enrollment in a PRIVATE school drops?  Why do people keep talking about this school as if it is a public school serving the neighbourhood?

Wow.

We care because it is an institution that serves the community. Children learn there. People work there. They are people's neighbours and friends.

• workerbee likes this

#188 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:39 PM

CTV news segment coming up at 6:00 PM.

#189 edvictoria

edvictoria
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:52 PM

Why do we care if the enrollment in a PRIVATE school drops?  Why do people keep talking about this school as if it is a public school serving the neighbourhood?

It's an independent school, meaning it's a non-profit. It's operated much differently than a traditional "private" school. People's negative perceptions on private schools are ridiculous. I personally care if this school loses enrolment because 50 people could potentially be out of a job. I don't find it socially acceptable to house one vulnerable population and put 50 people at risk of becoming homeless themselves. Feel whatever you want about "Private Schools" but I don't see the difference between children at a public school, why should we care more about those children? Kids are Kids no matter where they go to school.

• lanforod and workerbee like this

#190 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:10 PM

It would appear that Cool Aid will operate a housing facility at the site.

#191 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:13 PM

Central Middle School is almost downtown, and all of the fears the school had when they put up tents in the old hall across the street haven't materialised.

Right and the 40 people they took in came from tent city and helped solve that problem!

#192 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:24 PM

^I get your point but I don't think anyone at Our Place posed a serious risk to the students. Certainly no more than the risk around any other elementary school. I'd go as far to say they are statistically more likely to be harmed by their own teachers.

But yeah, I'm happy this whole thing seems to be resolving itself quickly.

Not a lot of schools deal with discarded needles, human feces, individuals incapacitated on the grounds and hardcore drug dealers on the other side of the schoolyard fence.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#193 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 534 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:31 PM

I would say that it is fortunate that nothing has happened and that is significantly due to the diligence of the school district and the policies it put in place to safeguard the students at Central Middle School.  I hope that the same level of diligence will carry on in the the remaining time that the site is used as a shelter.  Like anything else, once people let their guard down, complacency can very easily lead to some very serious consequences.

#194 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:42 PM

Right and the 40 people they took in came from tent city and helped solve that problem!

Cool Aid and BC Housing wouldn’t confirm the plans, but Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps was spotted leaving Christ Church Cathedral School with a Cool Aid representative after meeting with staff and students Wednesday.

“The city has no role, I can’t confirm anything at all,” said Helps on her way out.

While plans appear to be full steam ahead for the housing facility, reaction remains mixed among residents in the surrounding neighbourhood.

Many parents say they’re worried about homeless people living in such proximity to the school, and officials at the school recently pulled their public support for the project.

But other neighbours say they’re coming around to the idea.

“First of all, I support housing for homeless people. They don’t have a chance to turn their lives around,” said Karen Maxwell. “Second of all, they’re already living in our neighbourhood. They’re literally around the corner in tent city.”

The tent city camp at Victoria’s courthouse is home to many who would likely end up at the Mount Edwards Court building.

But residents there say they haven’t heard a peep about potential plans to relocate them.

“What needs to be done is a bit more communication, first of all. We haven’t even heard about this,” said Amanda Paska.

Others say they’re not keen on the idea of being forced out of the encampment, which exploded in population last fall when it was revealed a city bylaw prohibiting daytime camping in parks didn’t apply to the provincially owned courthouse land.

“A lot of us chafe under being told, okay, these are the rules for everyone and this is what you have to do,” said resident Nicholas Jewell.

http://vancouverisla...eport-1.2764181

Why all the secrets, Helps?  It's obviously a done deal, you know all about it, so the only reason to wait is for spin doctors to do their best.  

#195 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:57 PM

^ The City has no role but she was spotted leaving the meeting. Didn't she say earlier that the City was going to try and allocate $400K in funds to help purchase the building for the Cool Aid Society? Doesn't council also have to approve rezoning.

Edited by spanky123, 03 February 2016 - 08:57 PM.

#196 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:03 PM

^ The City has no role but she was spotted leaving the meeting. Didn't she say earlier that the City was going to try and allocate $400K in funds to help purchase the building for the Cool Aid Society? Doesn't council also have to approve rezoning.

My issue is this:

Cool Aid and BC Housing wouldn’t confirm the plans, but Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps was spotted leaving Christ Church Cathedral School with a Cool Aid representative after meeting with staff and students Wednesday.

“The city has no role, I can’t confirm anything at all,” said Helps on her way out.

Why can't you confirm anything?  It's already a done deal, what party are you protecting?  All you are doing is letting it be up to the PR people to present this.

Lame.

You are the Mayor of the city, you provided bathrooms and garbage disposal to tent city, our police and fire forces spend countless man-hours there, all on our dollar.  Of course you have a role.  Now just tell us what's going on.

• Nparker likes this

#197 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:10 PM

it's BC's announcement.  She doesn't want to step on any toes and "spoil" it officially for them.  If she announces it, it sounds like a CoV project.  

#198 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:10 PM

on a temp project owned by the province, I thought her assessment it correct that they have no role

#199 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:17 PM

it's BC's announcement.  She doesn't want to step on any toes and "spoil" it officially for them.  If she announces it, it sounds like a CoV project.  

I get it, there are 3x more PR folks in the provincial government than there was 25 years ago.

But then she should have said to the province, OK, I'm the Mayor here though, I'm not going to be evasive or mysterious.  I won't call a press conference, but I'm not going to be put in a  position to lie or stall to the taxpayers or media in my city.  If they ask, I need to give them basic answers, and say the "the rest is coming Friday".

#200 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:37 PM

You don't want to hand out the "welcome to your new home" invitations over at tent town just yet or there will be a stampede at Mt Edwards to stake out the best rooms. Workers were still dragging plywood into the building earlier today.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users