[Fairfield] Mount Edwards Court | Low Barrier Housing

• Please log in to reply
427 replies to this topic

#161 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:16 PM

Not IMO.  But it could be a sign the building was sold to BC Housing.

Oh for sure, or they have leased it or whatever, pending the sale.

I'm going to go out on a limb here.

I'm going to say that it's for now going to be "high barrier" housing, with carefully screened tenants.  No drugs/alcohol, but all you in the tent city, come on over if you can live with our rules.  Oh, and the rest of you, get off the lawn in 30 days.

Then, in the meantime, Cool Aid is to work with the school and neighbours to assure them that when it gets lower barriers, after the summer or after renovations or whatever, there will be a good understanding in place.

• Daveyboy likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#162 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:19 PM

i doubt you could sign as owner if that's the case (lease).  I'm sure they're leasing it to Cool Aid or leasing for free/whatever nominal amount.

#163 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:24 PM

Anyone can sign a building permit as an agent for the owner as long as he/she is entitled to act as the agent.

#164 workerbee

workerbee
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:33 PM

Hot off the press:

A transitional housing facility will be operational as of March.  We are told it is going to be temporary for one year and will house 40 homeless from Tent City.  There will be a request for an injunction to remove the people from tent city and it will have a better chance of being granted if there is a plan to house the tenants.

#165 workerbee

workerbee
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:34 PM

Anyone can sign a building permit as an agent for the owner as long as he/she is entitled to act as the agent.

BC Housing have confirmed that they are purchasing the building and that Cool Aid will be running it.

#166 workerbee

workerbee
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:36 PM

I'm going to say that it's for now going to be "high barrier" housing, with carefully screened tenants.  No drugs/alcohol, but all you in the tent city, come on over if you can live with our rules.  Oh, and the rest of you, get off the lawn in 30 days.

Then, in the meantime, Cool Aid is to work with the school and neighbours to assure them that when it gets lower barriers, after the summer or after renovations or whatever, there will be a good understanding in place.

This facility will be up and running by March according to Dominic Flanagan of BC Housing.

#167 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:45 PM

This facility will be up and running by March according to Dominic Flanagan of BC Housing.

Thanks for the info, and welcome to the forum workerbee!

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#168 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:54 PM

Thanks workerbee

#169 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:59 PM

Was I almost right?

#170 VicPushedOver

VicPushedOver
  • 450 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:29 PM

Hot off the press:

A transitional housing facility will be operational as of March.  We are told it is going to be temporary for one year and will house 40 homeless from Tent City.  There will be a request for an injunction to remove the people from tent city and it will have a better chance of being granted if there is a plan to house the tenants.

What press? Could you provide a link.

But maybe this is a good question for Ryancroft. BTW where is Ryancroft, hes not here under another name, is he.

#171 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:36 PM

So after the gates go up at the school, and the enrolment begins to drop...

Why do we care if the enrollment in a PRIVATE school drops?  Why do people keep talking about this school as if it is a public school serving the neighbourhood?

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#172 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:38 PM

Harsh.

• Rob Randall, Jill and Daveyboy like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#173 VicPushedOver

VicPushedOver
  • 450 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:38 PM

Was I almost right?

Our place, the people who ran Yates, have an abstiance policy, no overnight visitors, residents are expected to participate in programs. they have to do 10 hours of chores per week.

Cool Aid runs low barrier, no abstinence on drugs and alcohol, overnight visitor allowed, services are  optional. These are the places addicts go to who  are not interested in rehabilitation.

So Cool Aid running it, lets just say the local community is not reassured.

Edited by VicPushedOver, 03 February 2016 - 03:39 PM.

#174 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:39 PM

Well for one thing, people work there. This could easily cost many or all of those people their jobs if the school outright closes due to decreased enrollment.

#175 VicPushedOver

VicPushedOver
  • 450 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:45 PM

Why do we care if the enrollment in a PRIVATE school drops?  Why do people keep talking about this school as if it is a public school serving the neighbourhood?

Please tell me you're kidding. Just the opposite is in fact true, Public schools do very little charity work in the community, the CCC school, contribute money to the diocese that in turn is spent almost entirely on the poor the homeless and the mentally ill.

Closing the school will actually be taking money away from the community.

Majority of the money that Cool Aid gets, goes in to their own pockets.

People should think before they post nonsense.

#176 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:01 PM

Why do we care if the enrollment in a PRIVATE school drops? Why do people keep talking about this school as if it is a public school serving the neighbourhood?

Really? It's a school that only costs half the $$ per pupil of public money a public school costs.

And it teaches children.
  • Daveyboy likes this

#177 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:08 PM

So two new housing options have been fast-tracked through, arguably as a direct result of TentCity. Is it unreasonable to think that there will be those who therefore declare TentCity an astounding, and possibly repeatable, success in advancing the cause of addressing homelessness in Victoria? Predicting the next steps for the various parties involved could be interesting.

#178 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:11 PM

You bring up an interesting point, Greg.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#179 workerbee

workerbee
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:15 PM

Well the teachers that work there care for one!  Why should they lose their jobs over this, while Cool Aid lines their pockets with 50% of the income from this?

This PRIVATE school does a LOT of community outreach and fundraising and the tax payers pay only half the amount per student as opposed to a public school student.

#180 workerbee

workerbee
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:18 PM

What press? Could you provide a link.

But maybe this is a good question for Ryancroft. BTW where is Ryancroft, hes not here under another name, is he.

Official statement is being released tomorrow by BC Housing

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users