Housing People - DESIGN FOR LIVING, DISABLED OR NOT

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:57 AM

http://www.nytimes.c... ... wanted=all

Here's a interesting example of "Universal Design" to ponder...

Following quote if from a post-polio advocate......

In the Real Estate section of the Sunday, Jan. 7, 2007, New York Times, there is an article on DESIGN FOR LIVING, DISABLED OR NOT. A good perspective on how housing needs have been changing and how they need to change even more to accommodate the growing number of aging and disabled adults. All of us can relate to some extent being faced with the lack of accessibility into a public building or an apartment complex. IN St. Louis, MO a builder has been able to design and create a "..mixed-use environment for non-disabled people as well as people with a wide range of disabilities". How wonderful to NOT be marked as just a disabled person but a person with disabilities who can live in the same building as others. Housing and living interiors have always been an issue with me. But the older I get and the older others my age get I notice a considerable amount of talk and effort going toward living with restrictions and disabillities. I am glad this is happening. Maybe with more people needing refinements to living arrangements the disabled community will benefit. I still believe that society at large needs education about the Disabled Community. Maybe this is a step in the right direction.

#2 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:08 AM

I would love to see kitchen counters built higher than the standard 36 inches. At 6' 4" tall I can't wash dishes because it kills my lower back having to bend over to reach down into the sink. A counter top at 44 inches would work much better for me.

Although I am a fully able-bodied man, I am disabled as far as washing dishes goes.

#3 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:11 AM

I would love to see kitchen counters built higher than the standard 36 inches. At 6' 4" tall I can't wash dishes because it kills my lower back having to bend over to reach down into the sink. A counter top at 44 inches would work much better for me.

Although I am a fully able-bodied man, I am disabled as far as washing dishes goes.

That makes two of us! Give me a high countertop!

#4 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:03 PM

Lame excuse. :wink:

#5 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:38 PM

That makes two of us! Give me a high countertop!

Three of us; I'm another 6'4"-er who gets backaches from doing dishes.

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:41 PM

Jesus, I'm a 5'9"er and even I get back aches doing dishes! Must be awful for you guys...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:11 PM

I am 174 cm (get with the metic system dudes) and I like the current height of counters. Anyways in the Sweden all new construction must comply with universal design and anyone can get a government grant to convert an older structure to modern standards.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:19 PM

Here are the Saanich Adaptable Housing Guidelines:

http://www.gov.saani... ... lefaq.html

Here's a 42" counter for you freakishly tall freaks.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#9 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:12 PM

Interesting individual needs - I just don't like doing the dishes... but I gotta..

Also good that Saanich and Victoria are pushing some of it... although seperating adaptable and enhanced seem to me to maintain the stigma of living in a seniors place or a "handicapped" unit...

Comments sent me back to the research files... to check my understanding of UD...

Here's a good briefing note:

http://www.universal...sp?pageid=50674

And, here's a quick and dirty bit.. real estate agent stuff...

Universal Design FAQs

Describe a BASIC UD Home
What does universal design mean for home construction?
Who might be interested in a universal design home?
What makes a universal design home different from a typical home?
How is a universal design home different from an accessible home or senior housing?
Is universal design just for people with physical handicaps?
What are some noticeable features of a universal design home?
What are some features of a universal design home that are not obvious?
What about people who think they might need a universal design home in the future?
How can someone modify their existing home to be a universal design home?
Do universal design homes cost more?
How long has universal design been used in home construction?
Where did the universal design concept originate?

You'll have to go the url...

http://www.realestat...info/udfaqs.cfm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users