PROPOSED
Uptown Residential
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: Carey Road at Ravine Way
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 24
Uptown Shopping Centre's final phase of construction is proposed as a residential highrise with retail spaces,... (view full profile)
Learn more about Uptown Residential on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] Uptown Shopping Centre residential | 24-storeys | residential; commercial

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:21 AM

New plans have been released.

Update: 134 rental residences planned for 11-storey tower at Uptown Shopping Centre

http://victoria.citi...hopping-centre/

Morguard Investments Limited has released updated plans for the proposed residential component of Uptown Shopping Centre in Saanich.

Information supplied to Citified by Saanich planning staff on January 25th had confirmed a nine-storey mixed-use structure was proposed for the Uptown property's northwest corner on Carey Road at Ravine Way, however, Morguard's latest plan update calls for an 11-storey tower consisting of 134 rental apartments, townhomes and 55,000 square feet of commercial space. [Full article]

Uptown-Shopping-Centre-residential.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:24 AM

White is nice.

#3 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:39 AM

I guess for Saanich this is quite progressive. Not unlike projects built in other cities 50 years ago.

#4 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:45 AM

What's the tallest building in Saanich currently?  Maybe 5 storeys?

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:49 AM

This will be the tallest building in Saanich.

There is the Campus of Care just up the road off Carey that has an eight-storey building. At least I think it's eight?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:56 AM

This will be the tallest building in Saanich.

There is the Campus of Care just up the road off Carey that has an eight-storey building. At least I think it's eight?

7 or 8.  7 if I had to bet.

any other photos or site plans?

#7 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:57 AM

Those Buildings on Carey are the tallest in Saanich.

At first I thought Jubilee Hospital was the highest in Saanich but its in Victoria. The parkade across the driveway is in Saanich

#8 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:58 AM

There are residential/institutional buildings in Saanich that are 6 or 7 stories. VGH, Sayward Hill, that new place on Carey Road where the school used to be, that old apartment block near Quadra/McKenzie. There's also the old Wang office building on Carey Road. No idea what the tallest building would be in terms of sheer height. That's what we pay Mike K. to figure out.

#9 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:59 AM

There are residential/institutional buildings in Saanich that are 6 or 7 stories. VGH, Sayward Hill, that new place on Carey Road where the school used to be, that old apartment block near Quadra/McKenzie. There's also the old Wang office building on Carey Road. No idea what the tallest building would be in terms of sheer height. That's what we pay Mike K. to figure out.

VGH is view royal no?

#10 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:01 PM

Oh, sorry. Is it? View Royal is a bit of an enigma for me.

#11 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:03 PM

ECS building at UVic could be a candidate too? 6 storeys, but I think those are big storeys.

#12 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:04 PM

No offense to View Royalans. Royalians.

#13 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:04 PM

Forgot about UVic.

#14 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:07 PM

No idea what the tallest building would be in terms of sheer height. That's what we pay Mike K. to figure out.

Or just phone Saanich Fire Dept and ask them they will know instantly

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:16 PM

Every time you get on the roof of a place you should lower a line down and get a measurement.

For sheer height the Young Building at Camosun must be one of the taller ones.

#16 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:45 PM

ECS building at UVic could be a candidate too? 6 storeys, but I think those are big storeys.

That may be the Oak Bay side of UVic. 

• lanforod likes this

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#17 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:58 PM

Great location, great fit, add seven floors and get on with it ...

#18 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:21 PM

Yep, there is no reason for this location not to have he tallest building in Vic. Are they afraid the units won't sell? Is Saanich against such height? 

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:32 PM

I think this project needs its own "Phase 4" thread.

#20 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:03 PM

Yep, there is no reason for this location not to have he tallest building in Vic. Are they afraid the units won't sell? Is Saanich against such height? 

We will find out, won't we?  I polled my family and everyone thought 9 was too tall.  They all live in Saanich.  I'm neutral on this for now.  I want more information, so I'll wait for the plans.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users