PROPOSED
Uptown Residential
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: Carey Road at Ravine Way
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 24
Uptown Shopping Centre's final phase of construction is proposed as a residential highrise with retail spaces,... (view full profile)
Learn more about Uptown Residential on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] Uptown Shopping Centre residential | 24-storeys | residential; commercial

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#41 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:45 PM

Dunno is a type of donut.

• Coopershawk likes this

#42 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:48 PM

...I see one of the more strident of the anti-height brigade has come out in the form of a letter to the T-C, some rambling and utterly incoherent diatribe that this proposal has something to do with the UN Agenda 21 "plot"...

I saw that same letter at the T-C online. I couldn't make head nor tails out of it. Perhaps it was written by someone who recently visited one of our lovely "medicinal" marijuana dispensaries and didn't quite get their dosage right.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#43 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:59 PM

I can't envision where this gets built.. doesn't Whole Foods pretty much take up the entire space except a tiny sliver facing Carey Rd?  Will part of this be built on top of Whole Foods?

I'm surprised this is actually going ahead.  My mom talked to a construction worker six months ago and he said this was coming down the pipe.  I disbelieved that because he also claimed Nordstroms was coming to Uptown.  That won't happen for to many reasons to list here, the least of which is I'll lose a $100 bet.

#44 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:08 PM

Nordstrom Rack?

• Nparker likes this

#45 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:11 PM

I guess for Saanich this is quite progressive. Not unlike projects built in other cities 50 years ago.

Is this "THE TOWER" that was rumoured about the other day, and when is a tower not a tower?

#46 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:13 PM

We have one photo. It's an appealing angle. Let's see a panorama from across the road of all of Uptown and a shot from Carey at Ravine.

#47 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

...when is a tower not a tower?

Easy. A tower is a tall building, whereas a tower is a machine that tows. Completely different.

Would you ever confuse a flower with a flower? Or a shower with a shower? I doubt it.

• nagel likes this

#48 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:49 PM

Wonder what the rent will be ...

#49 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:57 PM

I thought Uptown was supposed to have already ruined Victoria?

Fretting over an 11-storey building at Uptown is honestly the absolute least of our worries.

Anyways, it's a good fit. Certainly well short of the 650 units Morguard had initially planned for but some is better than nothing.

Agree with this. I don't think anyone on this forum ever seriously believed that twin 30+ floor buildings would actually get built at this location - mainly because as we all know in that eventuality at least according to Pam & Co., the End of Days would truly result as a consequence, with Satan's 1000-year rule on Earth certain to follow thereafter.

Regardless I did wonder if anything would result from a residential standpoint so its nice to see even this scaled back proposal emerge. I am also trying to picture where this will be built relative to Whole Foods: as with the original proposal is there room for a possible second residential building, of similar height or scale?

• Nparker likes this

#50 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:21 PM

Easy. A tower is a tall building, whereas a tower is a machine that tows. Completely different.

Would you ever confuse a flower with a flower? Or a shower with a shower? I doubt it.

OR it's a flourer who makes pizzas, a flow er is the guy who checks the water mains, and a flower is a dandy lion.

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:27 PM

There's quite a bit room left between Carey and the Whole Foods.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#52 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:29 PM

There's quite a bit room left between Carey and the Whole Foods.

Why are you still up...you're on air in 8 hours.

#53 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:51 AM

They have lots of reasons, and I'm not interested in listing them for someone hiding behind a pseudonym to pick apart. 

Then why are you posting on VV?  That is kinda the point Mr nagel, if that is your real name.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#54 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:02 AM

Then why are you posting on VV?  That is kinda the point Mr nagel, if that is your real name.

I don't understand your point.  This was my original comment:

We will find out, won't we?  I polled my family and everyone thought 9 was too tall.  They all live in Saanich.  I'm neutral on this for now.  I want more information, so I'll wait for the plans.

Like I said above, I'm waiting for more details.  We've had a nice picture but there's other angles and views to consider.  As for why my family feels the way they do, it was irrelevant to the point of my reply to Dasmo's question about whether Saanich is against such height.  Obviously my family doesn't speak for Saanich, but I doubt their views are outliers.  I'm sure there will be support and opposition when this hits council and we'll see what we see.  I'm sure by then I'll have enough info to make up my own mind.

#55 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:54 AM

The views from some of the units looking downtown and at the Olympic Mountains will be incredible. 

Also, the Pam jokes aren't logical as this is in Saanich, not C of V - just a heads up. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#56 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:58 AM

References to Madoff in a Saanich thread are nothing but Pam spam.

• Nparker likes this

#57 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:01 AM

It's an illogical notion to begin with, that someone who lives in Victoria could ever have political power in Saanich. Can you imagine anything so ridiculous?

#58 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:17 AM

It's an illogical notion to begin with, that someone who lives in Victoria could ever have political power in Saanich. Can you imagine anything so ridiculous?

lol stop it aastra, stop.

#59 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:24 AM

I actually think the one rendering we have looks pretty slick.

I wouldn't be choked at all if we didn't see a 15-25 floor tower at this location.

I'll also be ecstatic if this overall project were actually completed. I hate when construction pits sit idle.

• RFS likes this

#60 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:31 AM

Way more fun for sure to live in Saanich and spend Victorians' tax money to make decisions that affect Victorians.

Edited by johnk, 28 January 2016 - 10:35 AM.

• jonny likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users