PROPOSED
Uptown Residential
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: Carey Road at Ravine Way
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 24
Uptown Shopping Centre's final phase of construction is proposed as a residential highrise with retail spaces,... (view full profile)
Learn more about Uptown Residential on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] Uptown Shopping Centre residential | 24-storeys | residential; commercial

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#81 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:11 PM

I'll be on CFAX this afternoon at 3:30 to chat about this proposal. Brief segment, 10 mins or so.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#82 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:38 AM

I don't think we've seen a rendering from this angle for the Uptown residential component.

Capture.JPG

#83 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:04 AM

It's been sent by Saanich CotW to a public hearing.

People want a mid-block crosswalk on Blanshard as part of this project.

#84 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:10 AM

There should be a pedestrian bridge over Blanshard.

• Nparker, Robb and Danma like this

#85 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:10 AM

But not specifically because of this project.

#86 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:00 AM

Pretty excited for this project. I think it will tie the whole development together nicely.

The Whole Foods expansion looks huge from ground level.

Edited by jonny, 21 June 2016 - 10:00 AM.

#87 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:33 AM

Approvals are now in place. Morguard will start construction next year.

14-storey Uptown Shopping Centre rental tower to get underway in 2017

http://victoria.citi...derway-in-2017/

• 57WestHills likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#88 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:02 AM

Pretty excited for this project. I think it will tie the whole development together nicely.

The Whole Foods expansion looks huge from ground level.

The underground parking at Uptown seems to be poorly designed with poor signage, and it is now linked to the Whole Foods under store parking.

I hope Whole Foods will be open for 5:00 am shopping so I can avoid all of that. 

#89 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:03 PM

Agree; overall I like Uptown - it has a nice vibe, its relatively close for us and convenient for lunches after visiting our mom who lives at the Carey Rd Campus of Care.

That said parking is definitely a bit of a s*** show especially on this corner since Brown's opened up. That entry/exit into the underground parkade is frenetic at times with a hodge podge of cars and pedestrians all competing at any given time for space. Should be really interesting when 200+ people move in right next door once the residential piece is complete. I assume that tower will have its own dedicated underground parking space as well meaning this will be one uber busy corner....

• 57WestHills likes this

#90 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:10 PM

What's really needed here and on Citified is a clear map of the exact location of this new structure. Not for me, as i've seen the open pit where the building will be.  But for other readers that aren't aware of how small the actual footprint of the buildings is, and how close to all the roadways it will be. It's shoved in right beside Whole Foods, so WF will no longer be seen from the west approaches, and the lighting on all of the WF south plaza will be gone for much of the day.

#91 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:32 PM

this is a very exciting development for uptown. next up, the mark one development
  • Mike K. likes this

#92 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:36 PM

The underground parking at Uptown seems to be poorly designed with poor signage, and it is now linked to the Whole Foods under store parking.
I hope Whole Foods will be open for 5:00 am shopping so I can avoid all of that.

I have never had a problem with the underground parking. However I have takenough time to drive around all levels of parking and learn my way in and out at various entrances and exits. Quite honestly I never attempt to park at surface level or Walmart level. Preferring the Shaw (office) level that is in the middle of everything I have to do. GYM, drugstore, pet store and Walmart. It a good middle spot.

Damn... now your all going to park there. :)
  • VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#93 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:37 PM

I have never had a problem with the underground parking. However I have takenough time to drive around all levels of parking and learn my way in and out at various entrances and exits. Quite honestly I never attempt to park at surface level or Walmart level. Preferring the Shaw (office) level that is in the middle of everything I have to do. GYM, drugstore, pet store and Walmart. It a good middle spot.

SN Fitness World members are 'supposed' to park on one of the lower levels yet honestly in 18 months at this location I never have nor to my knowledge has that 'requirement' actually been enforced; guess we'll see if the opening of Whole Foods changes things in that regard.

#94 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:17 AM

The worst situation is up top where you have three flows of vehicles all trying to exit onto Blanshard. The underground exit joins up with the above ground exit (Shaw/PetSmart etc) and things get pretty backed up.

Know it all.

#95 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:19 AM

Not if you us the new exit/entrance under Whole Foods. No one is using that yet. Park right by the escalators, go up for Shoppers/ Pets mart. Return to your car and drop of, go down to Walmart. Rinse and repeat.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 27 October 2016 - 06:20 AM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#96 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:21 AM

Yes, you can definitely do that. It spits you out heading right on Ravine towards Blanshard.

Know it all.

#97 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:33 AM

:thumbsup:

29654222556_e16725ee7a_h.jpg

• sdwright.vic likes this

#98 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:00 AM

Any word/progress on a potential transit exchange near this site?  To me, that would be the final bit of "detail" for the Uptown development.

#99 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:17 AM

Any word/progress on a potential transit exchange near this site?  To me, that would be the final bit of "detail" for the Uptown development.

Great question. Does anyone know anything?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:31 AM

Why do we need an interchange?  Can't people walk anymore, from one street to the next?  The last thing we need is buses making more time-consuming stops.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users