PROPOSED
Uptown Residential
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: Carey Road at Ravine Way
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 24
Uptown Shopping Centre's final phase of construction is proposed as a residential highrise with retail spaces,... (view full profile)
Learn more about Uptown Residential on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] Uptown Shopping Centre residential | 24-storeys | residential; commercial

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#101 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:38 AM

That's an odd comment ...transit buses'main job is to stop for pick up and drop off that's what they are by nature stopping more than going

#102 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:20 PM

Why do we need an interchange?  Can't people walk anymore, from one street to the next?  The last thing we need is buses making more time-consuming stops.

This is a joke right VHF?

If you are needing proof please go look at the new transit exchange at UVic. Comment back when you have. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#103 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:55 PM

Why do we need an interchange?  Can't people walk anymore, from one street to the next?  The last thing we need is buses making more time-consuming stops.

Off the top of my head, some reasons include:

-Universal accessibility.  No, not everyone can easily "walk" from one street to the next.  A 100m distance might seem like a skip and a hop for a young buck like yourself, but to many with limited mobility it is a major obstacle.

-Integrated network.  Incremental efforts to make public transit more appealing include the facilitation of seamless transfers.  This, of course, may be a moot point now that instant transfers don't exist in Victoria anymore, but in the event that BC Transit decides to reverse this decision in the future, transit exchanges on key routes such as this are integral to the system.

The question about the exchange is a good one.  I'm hoping we'll see something come out of the new Uptown Douglas Corridor Plan: http://www.saanich.c...ridor-plan.html

Edited by Lover Fighter, 18 November 2016 - 03:19 PM.

• Nparker, Coreyburger, tedward and 1 other like this

#104 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 03:01 PM

Off the top of my head, some reasons include:

-Universal accessibility.  No, not everyone can easily "walk" from one street to the next.  A 100m distance might seem like a skip and a hop for a young buck like yourself, but to many with limited mobility it is a major obstacle.

-Integrated network.  Incremental efforts to make public transit more appealing include the facilitation of seamless transfers.  This, of course, may be a moot point now that instant transfers don't exist in Victoria anymore, but in the event that the BC decides to reverse this decision in the future, transit exchanges on key routes such as this are integral to the system.

The question about the exchange is a good one.  I'm hoping we'll see something come out of the new Uptown Douglas Corridor Plan: http://www.saanich.c...ridor-plan.html

+1

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#105 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:21 PM

Any updates on this project?

#106 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:07 PM

I've enquired a couple of times, and both times the trail goes chilly.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#107 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:57 AM

I've got some contacts at Morguard, I'll ask next time I am speaking with them.  It might be a little while thou

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#108 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:53 PM

Nparker, on 23 Feb 2018 - 8:44 PM, said:

Much, much, much faster than the similar sized proposal at Uptown.

2F2R, on 01 Mar 2018 - 7:13 PM, said:

That's right ... things happen in Langford !!!

It has to be more than just the gung-ho spirit of Langford at play here. If I am not mistaken all the civic approvals are in place to get the Uptown tower started. If I had to guess I'd say the issue lies more with the developer/financing than any obstacles Saanich has put in the way.

#109 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:18 PM

There is no issues with financing, Morguard doesn't have any trouble getting money.  Not really sure why they don't want to proceed

#110 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:27 PM

There is no issues with financing, Morguard doesn't have any trouble getting money.  Not really sure why they don't want to proceed

Considering approvals have been in place for 17 months, and there is such a strong push to create more rental accommodations in the region, it seems very odd to me that the developer isn't moving forward with all due haste.

#111 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:21 PM

My guess would be that the cost to build is 20-40% higher than had been budgeted at the time of approvals. It might make more sense to wait this out for a while.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#112 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:43 AM

Don't expect to see Saanich's tallest building anytime soon.

...Phase 4 will certainly have homes but it’s also the final corner of Uptown, and it’s frontage on Carey Road, just off Douglas, will soon be across from the coming BC Transit hub for the region. “It’s our observation and conclusion that the Phase 4 corner is a very strategic piece,” Kwiatkowski said. “It completes the street, but is also a gateway to the property. It’s key frontage across from a future major transit centre, and we want to do it right. It’s a chance to put an exclamation mark on that project in the best manner.”... Revisions to the design are likely but for now it’s figuring out what the process will be like, as any alterations to the design mean re-applying to Saanich Planning and could end up back before Saanich council...

https://www.vicnews....-up-in-the-air/

#113 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:56 PM

Morguard doesn't own Uptown anymore, its owned by Shape Properties.  Who knows what they want to do about this building

#114 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 07 January 2021 - 10:30 AM

More information regarding Uptown's final phase, and how it is changing following the release of Saanich's Uptown-Douglas Plan.

Thank you, Darren14, for the heads-up.

Final phase of Uptown Shopping Centre re-envisioned to align with Saanich's new Uptown-Douglas Plan

https://victoria.cit...n-douglas-plan/

• Darren14 likes this
Know it all.

#115 Darren14

Darren14
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 10:51 AM

Here a drawing what it will look like from the Blvd 

Attached Images

• 20210107_104415.jpg

• newbie_01 likes this

#116 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 12:53 PM

^ I know that Saanich has approved up to 24 stories in the Uptown area but I won't hold my breathe waiting for that to happen.

#117 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 01:11 PM

Wow, this really makes the plans for the 2-storey building and surface parking lot at the south end of Uptown sound especially ridiculous in comparison. I'm hoping Saanich Centre is redeveloped soon to visually connect this tower with the ones planned for Nigel Valley and give Uptown somewhat of a unified skyline. 

#118 Darren14

Darren14
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 06:30 PM

Wow, this really makes the plans for the 2-storey building and surface parking lot at the south end of Uptown sound especially ridiculous in comparison. I'm hoping Saanich Centre is redeveloped soon to visually connect this tower with the ones planned for Nigel Valley and give Uptown somewhat of a unified skyline. 

are you talking about the small lot at the corner of Saanich and the highway behind the best buy building? is there a thread or plans for that somewhere im curious about it

#119 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 07:08 PM

are you talking about the small lot at the corner of Saanich and the highway behind the best buy building? is there a thread or plans for that somewhere im curious about it

https://victoria.cit...-redevelopment/

Yes, that's the one.

#120 Darren14

Darren14
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 07:22 PM

Interesting... i wonder what Uptown will do with there sign assuming this building would block it 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users