• Please log in to reply
1248 replies to this topic

#1 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:55 PM

Hi everyone,

I have been writing my own blog for a few months now (though took a bit of a break for the last month or so) on Victoria. The blog is mostly focused on the urban realm in the core from the pedestrian's perspective, though I do stray from that from time to time. If you have not had a look yet, please do. Just to be open, I do not get any ad revenue from any of the sites hyperlinked in the blog.

I would also love any feedback about my site and if you have a topic that you think I should cover let me know!

http://sidewalkingvi...ia.blogspot.ca/

• Nparker, Jill, todd and 2 others like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#2 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:00 PM

Just read some posts and I totally agree about the centennial square tree. That tree needs to go.

#3 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:06 PM

...I totally agree about the centennial square tree. That tree needs to go.

Yes, yes a THOUSAND times yes! Opening up the Square so that it is visible from Douglas Street would be a huge improvement.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:27 PM

The Mazda Building! Totally!

There's some good stuff there, G.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:46 AM

Thanks guys!

With the 1515 project going up taking down the tree is going to all the more important. You want all those new office workers to be looking across and wanting to go there.

It has a whole new look!

#6 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:58 AM

Ground floor offices drive me nuts, especially when the huge windows are covered with blinds or film.

• jonny and JennKa like this

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:48 AM

^Especially the ones where the blinds have been closed for years and there is a layer of dust on them.

Like I said it doesn't have to be every building with commercial on the ground floor but in some places like 800 Johnson,it is a travesty that we allow it to stay dead.

It has a whole new look!

#8 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:40 AM

This is great.  I think about all these things when I walk around.  Cut through London drugs every day walking home from work.  It's insane the amount of road (parking lot?) rage i see there,  Do people not know there's underground parking?  They'll loop and loop around the surface parking honking and sometimes screaming at each other but never go into the parkade.  Would love to see something a little more pedestrian and urban there.  Fill the surface parking lot in and direct drivers to the parkade, if it has enough capacity.

I honestly have no idea why people drive there between 3-5, it's always a gong show for the front surface parking.

• lanforod and nagel like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:55 AM

I too, when I do drive there, use the U/G parking. I just don't understand why anyone attempts the surface there. 

• Nparker likes this

It has a whole new look!

#10 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:11 AM

If I'm by myself, I avoid underground parkades unless they are well lit and busy. I'd rather pay for a spot on the street than bother with the lot at London Drugs.

#11 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:44 AM

I assume if they re-developed the surface parking they'd put some effort into sprucing up the view st. entrance, hopefully for pedestrians too.

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:20 AM

If I'm by myself, I avoid underground parkades unless they are well lit and busy. I'd rather pay for a spot on the street than bother with the lot at London Drugs.

That is quite fair and I too have paid for street parking over turning left off Yates. There will often be 5-6 cars circling that lot and not a single parked car between Vancouver and Quadra on the south side of the road. For fifty cents you can save yourself the frustration that will likely take an hour off the end of your life. 

It has a whole new look!

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:20 AM

I use that shopping centre very frequently and 9 times out of 10 I will find a parking spot no problem, at all hours of the day. The only exception is the weekend when I'd be inclined to say people park and disappear for extended periods.

The underground at HGV is horrible. Even I hate using it, it's just an invitation to get mugged. I'm not a guy who scares easily but that underground gives me the creeps.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:27 AM

Wow I gotta check this parkade out.  Never actually seen it.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:25 PM

Be sure to make your way up to the shopping level via the parkade, too. It's another layer of creepy.

Know it all.

#16 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:27 PM

I really wish London Drugs would build a big new store with great parking.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:28 PM

Parking? PARKING??
  • nagel likes this

Know it all.

#18 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:31 PM

Not at this location. At Mayfair or Hillside or something.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:44 PM

Oh, right ok ok. Easy with the p-word, ok?
  • jonny likes this

Know it all.

#20 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:10 PM

The introduction of London Drugs was a big boost for that area, so for a long while I was able to forgive the inappropriate format. But it's 2016 now and I really wish they'd do yet another big makeover (#3?) to move the front of the store up against the Yates Street sidewalk and straighten the whole thing out, and also to do something to make the View Street side look less horrible.

I'd rate that surface lot as one of the worst in town. The lower level isn't great but I don't think it's quite the horror show that Mike K. is saying. I spent some time relaxing in a car down there during the holidays. Very peaceful. A full 15 minutes of chillin' and no break-ins or vandalism to report.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users