Photo

[Langford] Langford Ridge | 1.3 million square feet of residential/commercial space | For sale

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:46 AM

Oh no there goes the narrative

#42 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:02 PM

>>>I think we've learned a little bit about clear-cutting since Victoria was first developed<<<

I believe the timbers for the fort were transported from near Mt Doug, a place called Cedar Hill, by the natives ... the rest is history !!! I don't think there are any giant cedars in that area now other than Mt Doug park ...

Edited by 2F2R, 20 April 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#43 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:39 AM

Trees have now been cut down.

image.jpeg

#44 jdsony

jdsony
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:48 PM

Why is this site so Pro-Development rather than Pro-Smart-Development? It's not like the mayor is trying to do us any favors. Every decision he has made benefits developers and every decision they have made benefits their pockets. Cities are important, community is important, maximum profits for developers doesn't make for a good community. They're cutting corners. Stripping land and blasting it flat so you can use generic blueprints based on level ground and two-dimensional property maps with no natural topography is nothing to be proud of, it's lazy. 

The Mayor may be a businessman but most on the cutting edge of business/economics have realized that last centuries models no longer apply. Infinite growth as a way to pay for infrastructure is completely unsustainable and American retail chains & big box stores have very questionable economic/social benefits to local communities. It's great that so many of you are pro-development but wake up and demand more. 

Edited by jdsony, 28 September 2017 - 01:48 PM.

• Nparker and Lorenzo like this

#45 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:11 PM

Maybe he's more of the mind 'get the tax base', then fix the issues later. I'm not sure whether its the right approach, but doing it 'smart' as you say, also means doing it a whole lot slower, probably.

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:13 AM

Wake up and demand more of what, exactly? I’m not sure I understand what your issues are or what you want changed, and how those changes would be financed and supported by the local economy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:41 AM

This site is generally pro free enterprise. If somebody proposes something reasonable for the land they own, most of us are unlikely to oppose.

Many of us also recognize that part of the reason for our crazy real estate prices is that we have created a supply shortage over years via never ending opposition to projects.

Most of us also live in the core, not Langford, so generally we have less skin in the game out there.

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:02 AM

Stripping land and blasting it flat so you can use generic blueprints based on level ground and two-dimensional property maps with no natural topography is nothing to be proud of, it's lazy. 

Blasting costs an awful lot more than spending more time on blueprints that include sloping land.  I'm not sure laziness is the reason for blasting. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#49 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:07 AM

^I think it's more people would like a batch of grass outside their back sliding glass door than a sheer rock wall.
  • VicHockeyFan and Lorenzo like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#50 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:23 AM

Batch Of Grass would be a decent band name.  I could see them opening for Tinto Rocks on a limited tour in a few years.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 29 September 2017 - 08:25 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:24 AM

There are also mobility issues to content with building on sloped sites.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:26 AM

There are also mobility issues to content with building on sloped sites.

Sloped Sites could also open a few select dates in smaller markets.

• Nparker likes this

#53 moretrain

moretrain
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:15 AM

So, since this is a master planned community, is there any renderings / site plans? I think before tearing the development apart, some knowledge of the development plans would be useful. I hate it when developers just clear cut a site and leave it for years prior to development, it is an eyesore and ecologically unsound. With regards to blasting, it is usually essential for the safety of the community, mitigating land slides and such (obviously wouldn't have been an issue if they hadn't clear cut to begin with).

For this development, it would make absolute sense to start a BRT line here running to downtown. It is right off the Hwy 1 and which means easy integration into the road network. I mean, in 13 million ft2, the number of people that could be housed could totally alleviate the housing issue with a combination of rentals, condos and townhouses (leave the SFH to Royal Bay IMO). Obviously, unlikely.

#54 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:17 AM

Just to confirm, it's 1.3 million square feet (not thirteen) of total space including commercial, industrial and residential.

Know it all.

#55 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:06 PM

So, since this is a master planned community, is there any renderings / site plans? I think before tearing the development apart, some knowledge of the development plans would be useful. I hate it when developers just clear cut a site and leave it for years prior to development, it is an eyesore and ecologically unsound. With regards to blasting, it is usually essential for the safety of the community, mitigating land slides and such (obviously wouldn't have been an issue if they hadn't clear cut to begin with).

For this development, it would make absolute sense to start a BRT line here running to downtown. It is right off the Hwy 1 and which means easy integration into the road network. I mean, in 13 million ft2, the number of people that could be housed could totally alleviate the housing issue with a combination of rentals, condos and townhouses (leave the SFH to Royal Bay IMO). Obviously, unlikely.

You would have to talk to Amazon to get the site specific plans.

• moretrain likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#56 moretrain

moretrain
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:24 AM

Just to confirm, it's 1.3 million square feet (not thirteen) of total space including commercial, industrial and residential.

Yep, my bad. Despite that, still a very large space.

You would have to talk to Amazon to get the site specific plans.

You know something we dont? lol

#57 selector

selector
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:40 AM

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but when is Leigh RD going to connect to Langford Parkway?

There is a large cave network under that ridge (Spencer caves) we used to play in them as kids, they go all the way down to the lake. Look for a small concrete wall on the side of the rock heading down Leigh RD toward the ambulance station which now blocks the main entrance, There are other entrances.

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:39 AM

Some more info for you: https://victoria.cit...and-sooke-road/

That's interesting about the caves.

Know it all.

#59 selector

selector
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for the info.

Anyone going up there to check out the view should use extreme caution. It was an old copper mine and as I mentioned the main entrance which you can clearly see from Leigh RD is not the only way in. I know of atleast 2 other ways that are merely just holes in the ground approx 24" diameter on a very slight angle that could easily be covered with slash...they would never find you.

More info.

http://unknownvictor...an-wonders.html

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:32 AM

Yeah, that's pretty scary. I came upon caves like that north of Duncan. Couldn't see bottom and you could have easily fallen in as you trekked through the woods. Still gives me goosebumps.

The north Island in particular has a tremendous amount of large caves. Internationally among cavers Vancouver Island is even referred to as Cave Island.

Know it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users