34 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:27 AM

Victoria Caledonian Brewery and Distillery to launch whiskey line, craft beers

http://victoria.citi...ne-craft-beers/

A former storage warehouse overlooking the Pat Bay Highway is being transformed into Vancouver Island's newest craft brewery and whiskey distillery.

Victoria Caledonian Brewery and Distillery, at 761 Enterprise Crescent in Saanich's Carey neighbourhood, plans to distill a range of single malt whiskies and "beers that whiskey drinkers would appreciate," says Victoria Caledonian's Brewmaster and Production Manager, Dean McLeod. [Full article]

• Wayne and 57WestHills like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:32 PM

That's one terrible name.
  • tedward, thundergun and Dr. Barillas like this

#3 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:47 AM

opens this wednesday, apparently with 5 beers.  Pale ale, porter, IPA (yes!), saison, pilsner.  I'll be there with my growler.

Obviously no in house whiskey for years, but they'll be selling other peeps' whisky.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#4 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:53 AM

It's next to the bottle depot. I noticed they had a sandwich board out so maybe they are already open.

#5 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:01 AM

It's next to the bottle depot. I noticed they had a sandwich board out so maybe they are already open.

Whoa if someone can confirm this I'm going down.  Nothing like fresh beer that's only 10 minutes by bike.

#6 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:43 PM

I biked past here today. There were some sandwich boards out but they were to direct investors to their special tasting today. No general public opening until Wednesday.

There will only be bottles of pale ale on Wednesday, and saison by the end of the week. The other beers come over the next 2-3 weeks. There will be no growlers at startup because their keg machine hasn't come.

All this from some guy in the parking lot as he moved the sandwich boards.
  • Mike K. and Rob Randall like this

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:57 PM

Here's some fun trivia. VibrantVictoria was once upon a time based out of that building. Their tasting room was once my office.
  • Mr Cook Street, lanforod, 57WestHills and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:02 AM

I stopped by there last night and filled up my growler.  Got a very brief tour of the production room (looks pretty cool).  They had two (twa) beers, the saison and the pale ale.  Would only let me taste one, so I went with the pale ale.  Tasted way hoppier than a pale ale so I was quite happy, and got that for my growler.  Was $12.80 or so, which is standard (Phillips aside).  Very impressive beer.

Apparently the IPA will be ready next, which is usually my favourite.

Didn't notice a bike rack there but I wasn't looking.  It's only 2-3k from home so most times I'll be biking it.

Edited by nagel, 18 August 2016 - 07:03 AM.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:06 AM

Nice!

I'm glad to see this operation finally up and running. It's exciting times to be a Victoria alcohol aficionado, that's for sure!

Know it all.

#10 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:10 AM

What we need is a (currently illegal) growler fill station in a central location that is essentially a Garrick's Head for growlers.  Constant rotation of local and regional craft beers.  That would blow my mind.  Why not have one for wine too.  I actually own a double walled wine growler.

• Mr Cook Street and Dr. Barillas like this

#11 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:19 AM

What we need is a (currently illegal) growler fill station in a central location that is essentially a Garrick's Head for growlers.

Constant rotation of local and regional craft beers.  That would blow my mind.  Why not have one for wine too.  

I actually own a double walled wine growler.

How many growlers can you get in your panniers?    :cheers:

#12 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:58 AM

How many growlers can you get in your panniers?    :cheers:

On my bike, 2 in one pannier.  I never fill more than that because I only have two double walled ones.

The panniers on my wife's cargo bike can hold some ridiculous things.  I've seen a picture of a woman carrying a full sized mitre saw in one.

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:16 AM

What we need is a (currently illegal) growler fill station in a central location that is essentially a Garrick's Head for growlers.  Constant rotation of local and regional craft beers.  That would blow my mind.  Why not have one for wine too.  I actually own a double walled wine growler.

In my Special Economic Zone (SEZ) we'll have this.

• lanforod likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#14 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:06 PM

On my bike, 2 in one pannier.  I never fill more than that because I only have two double walled ones.

The panniers on my wife's cargo bike can hold some ridiculous things.  I've seen a picture of a woman carrying a full sized mitre saw in one.

These would help:

https://www.instagra.../p/BHIy0NGhS4q/

#15 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:17 AM

They do look cool, and I'd probably get one if they would fit the double walled growlers.  They're designed for the standard glass ones.

#16 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 11:18 AM

One of these filling your growler with whatever brew you'd like.

Attached Images

• 13442505_10153543536306927_8728639444911698961_o.jpg

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#17 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 11:21 AM

^ cool but I'll take girls in tartan skirts over that any day.

#18 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:14 PM

^Oh, you have been to the Tilted Kilt then?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#19 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:57 PM

^Oh, you have been to the Tilted Kilt then?

No, do tell.

#20 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:57 PM

A fine drinking establishment hosted by even finer ladies in kilts.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users