Photo

Victoria Busker Festival

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:04 AM

No way. I want our pedestrian street to not have buses on it, period. How are we going to allow restaurants with mid street patios if buses need to go through now and then?

Phase in bro.  Buses only and then 2 years later, patios.

#22 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:30 AM

From CFAX:

The Victoria International Buskers Festival has been hit with an unexpected invoice for thousands of dollars.

Executive Director John Vickers says the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority wants them to pay for the use of the pier, which they've been using for free for the past five years in return for sponsor rights....

http://www.cfax1070....expected-invoic

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:33 AM

It's hard to see how the GVHA gets much value from "sponsor rights" to the pier.  So I can sort of see their point.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:47 PM

^I can see the end of the Buskers Festival.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#25 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:57 PM

^I can see the end of the Buskers Festival.

Alas, so can I. 

#26 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:27 AM

If the festival dies, then the GVHA gets nothing, AND we lose a festival. A win-win, and by that I mean a lose-lose.

• aastra, Nparker and Jill like this

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:33 AM

If the festival dies, then the GVHA gets nothing, AND we lose a festival. A win-win, and by that I mean a lose-lose.

There may be other groups that would rent that space though.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#28 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:41 AM

For $8000?

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:41 AM

Is the buskers festival a popular event?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:47 AM

The tourist-trap huckster mentality always regards things in this manner. It's really not a big deal if we squeeze you so hard that your eyes pop out, because somebody else will come along eventually to take your place. And when they do, we'll wrap our coils around them, too.

• Nparker likes this

#31 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:50 AM

In the times I have attend it has been VERY popular.

• Jill likes this

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:54 AM

For $8000?

That's less than $1000/day.

#33 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:14 AM

That's less than $1000/day.

I guess time will tell if other groups line up to pay the GVHA this amount.

#34 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:02 PM

Some people come here solely for that, I think.

#35 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:57 PM

^Yeah, I make one of my infrequent visits into town to see it.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:43 AM

Langford is loaning some bleachers to the buskers festival.

• Nparker, Jill and Danma like this

#37 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:00 PM

I never thought I'd say this, but hooray for Langford.

• Nparker likes this

#38 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:43 PM

We went to opening night last night and had a great time. I really love this festival.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#39 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:10 PM

I love the buskers festival. I look forward to it all year!!!
  • Nparker likes this

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:46 AM

DVBA announces Downtown Victoria Buskers Festival: July 11-16

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Downtown Victoria Business Association, with the support of partners including the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority, Tourism Victoria, and the Hotel Association of Greater Victoria have announced the addition of the Downtown Victoria Buskers Festival. This festival adds to the strategic mandate all partners released recently.

“We are proud to bring more animation to downtown Victoria with the addition of the Downtown Victoria Buskers Festival,” says Kerri Milton, Executive Director of the DVBA. “We anticipate several days of dynamic performances in Downtown Victoria.”

The new festival will be a six day festival with several stages in Downtown Victoria from July 11 – 16, 2017 with programming throughout the day and into the evening. There will also be a variety of “Busk” stops throughout the Downtown.

“The Greater Victoria Harbour Authority looks forward to partnering on this exciting new event, under the stewardship of the DVBA,” says Ian Robertson, CEO of GVHA. “It’s a great opportunity for us to enhance a vibrant lineup of summer activities at Ship Point in 2017 and beyond.”

The new festival will support the DVBA’s new vision for community events in Downtown Victoria, offering more free exciting, enticing and unique street performers from Victoria and around the world. The festival will culminate with a Buskers Brunch on Sunday, July 16.

“Tourism Victoria is pleased to be supporting the DVBA in this exciting new endeavor. We strongly believe this is a right-sized, affordable and sustainable model going forward to ensure that our guests in July have a vibrant experience in the downtown core,” says Paul Nursey, President and CEO of Tourism Victoria. “Festivals are one of many drivers of visitation to our destination and we are pleased to see a strong organization such as the DVBA lead this initiative.”

The DVBA has hired a new Events Manager, Ian Piears to head up the logistics of this new event and contracted Michele Montgomery as the Talent Coordinator. Artist applications are now online atdowntownvictoria.ca/buskers.

Interesting, that there is no mention of John Vicker's festival.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users