Photo

Victoria Busker Festival

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#61 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:41 AM

Isn't the Fringe Festival similar to buskers performing in various locations around town?

Lets have more Fringe and invite the buskers to come while that's on.

#62 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:14 PM

just heard her on CFAX, theres some venom there, she's not a happy camper and you could sense she was feeling restrained. 

She said "its not the John Vickers Festival" What does that tell you?

#63 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:41 PM

It's probably reasonable to think that they want some sense of continuity if they are to fully embrace it.  And a one-man organizing show might be difficult for that.  After all, he is using public space and funds too.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#64 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:44 PM

It's probably reasonable to think that they want some sense of continuity if they are to fully embrace it. And a one-man organizing show might be difficult for that. After all, he is using public space and funds too.

He has a full board of directors and it's a registered non-profit society.

#65 SusanJones

SusanJones
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:45 PM

I did not hear the interview.  I'm certain they offered a thank you for the years of service Mr. Festival provided, right?

And the board members for their volunteerism?  Acknowledgement of what Mr. Festival has done for the downtown core, the 1,000's of children, families that enjoyed the various festivals that he produces (with staff & volunteers) correct?  Gratitude and appreciation was the highlight of the interview I'm sure. How about the major sponsors that are local businesses and not from the downtown core, they were given kudo's too right?  They certainly acknowledged that they are willing to work with Mr. Festival and the community to create the most amazing entertainment, free for the community together didn't they?  

Edited by SusanJones, 09 November 2016 - 02:46 PM.

#66 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:51 PM

just heard her on CFAX, theres some venom there, she's not a happy camper and you could sense she was feeling restrained. 

She said "its not the John Vickers Festival" What does that tell you?

It tells me that we have a number of little people thinking that they are in the big leagues. Vickers should have known better though, the implied price of taking other people's money is that you kiss their butts afterwards. He wanted it both ways and it don't work that way.

#67 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 03:06 PM

So the DVBA is just being malicious?

#68 SusanJones

SusanJones
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:36 PM

It tells me that we have a number of little people thinking that they are in the big leagues. Vickers should have known better though, the implied price of taking other people's money is that you kiss their butts afterwards. He wanted it both ways and it don't work that way.

Goodness, the provincial coffers would be far richer if that were the case - many grants are allocated to organizations who criticize the provincial government for various reasons. 

#69 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:53 PM

Is that what you think? You must have information pertaining to this based on your comments....perhaps you could share to justify your comments?

And if you think DVBA and Tourism Victoria are big leagues, you have an interesting perspective on what big leagues are, considering they are funded externally.

Vickers has done more to promote this city and draw people in than any of them and he doesnt even get paid.

#70 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:19 PM

Is that what you think? You must have information pertaining to this based on your comments....perhaps you could share to justify your comments?

And if you think DVBA and Tourism Victoria are big leagues, you have an interesting perspective on what big leagues are, considering they are funded externally.

Vickers has done more to promote this city and draw people in than any of them and he doesnt even get paid.

None of them are in the big leagues. What you have are players in various groups who think they are. I agree with your comments on Vickers.

• rjag likes this

#71 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 04:41 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ition-1.3844495

"It was a bit puzzling to say the least," John Vickers, the original festival's executive director, told All Points West host Robyn Burns. "This year on the Canadian circuit we were ranked the number one buskers festival," he said. The chair of the original event used even stronger language in a statement posted Wednesday. David Rand said the Victoria International Buskers Festival is seeking legal advice after becoming "aware of an effort to damage its reputation."

#72 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:03 AM

How can one be "sure" and "certain" of what was said after opening up with " I did not hear the interview..."

#73 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:08 AM

How can one be "sure" and "certain" of what was said after opening up with " I did not hear the interview..."

I'm thinking Susan was being sarcastic!

• Daveyboy and SusanJones like this

#74 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:54 PM

http://www.iheartrad...nding-1.2279093

John said on CFAX that he did ask for additional funding, but I can't recall if he said for "another festival" or "other festivals" (international cherry blossom being one). Wonder if Tourism Victoria just got tired of him asking for money in general, and or if they feel they don't have enough oversight on what he's using the money for. Or maybe they just want to move the festival planning in-house?  The comments each side are making doesn't really provide any information about what's actually going on - or maybe they are and I just don't get it  :confused:

Anyways, I'm just really curious to see how this plays out. 

#75 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:07 PM

^ I think that it HAS played out. Vickers is out and there will be a new team running the festival.

#76 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:30 PM

It's a shame as he did such a great job. I'm thinking they didn't like the fact he was doing more for the tourism business in a volunteer capacity than they were in a salaried position

#77 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:11 PM

It's a shame as he did such a great job. I'm thinking they didn't like the fact he was doing more for the tourism business in a volunteer capacity than they were in a salaried position

I'm pretty sure he drew a salary.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#78 SusanJones

SusanJones
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:22 PM

I'm pretty sure he drew a salary.

My understanding is it was a small salary and the 100's of volunteers (many returning volunteers year-over-year) amounted to untold labour hours for little to zero cost to anyone.  

#79 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:33 PM

^ I think that it HAS played out. Vickers is out and there will be a new team running the festival

I thought Vickers was going to try to go ahead with his festival anyways, but that must be old news.  

#80 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:13 PM

I thought Vickers was going to try to go ahead with his festival anyways, but that must be old news.  

its hard to organize when the main locations and supporters are going to block you.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users