Photo

Modo Carshare

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#41 JennKa

JennKa
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:24 PM

Did the Modo mobiles get snow tires for the winter?

Yes, winter tires were on the vehicle I was using.

#42 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:42 AM

Sidney is now a Modo car share community.

The municipality has signed an agreement with the car share company to provide two vehicles in the town, available to people who are members of Modo’s service. People in need of a vehicle will soon be able to find them located in downtown Sidney – one parked adjacent to municipal hall on James White Boulevard and the other predominantly along Beacon Avenue.

The agreement was approved by town council May 8 and is unique in that Sidney doesn’t have the “critical mass normally required by Modo in order to initiate a car share service,” stated Director of Corporate Services Andrew Hicik in a staff report.

Chief Administrative Officer Randy Humble says the Town will contribute approximately $54,000 to the car share co-operative in the form of shares. That represents an investment in Modo funded from the municipal parking reserve fund, paid into mainly by developers in lieu of required parking spaces, eliminated in various building projects. In exchange, the Town will see a Honda Fit and Toyota Rav4 in service.

http://www.peninsula...omes-to-sidney/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:40 AM

Is it odd that apart from UVic, Saanich has no Modo cars, and West Shore has zero?

I see there is one at the ferry terminal now.

http://www.modo.coop/map/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#44 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:41 AM

Sidney will have another one (third?) with the completion of Leeward.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:44 AM

Oak Bay has 3 (one is near the Victoria border) and Esquimalt has one.

#46 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:54 PM

They've also got four vehicles up in Nanaimo now, too.

I love my Modo membership - living downtown, it's completely eliminated the need for me to own a car. Used to have to book a couple of days in advance, but at the rate they're adding cars, that hasn't been an issue for about six months (except for maybe on long weekends). I can usually book and go spontaneously. And their customer service is fantastic. I would happily advocate for a Modo stall or two to be included in nearly every new large-scale development.

• VicHockeyFan and Kungsberg like this

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:58 PM

I think I'd advocate for Modo stalls even on City streets or parkades.

• Nparker and Janion Fan like this

#48 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:15 PM

I've never used Modo but if they're even half as good as Car2Go, they're probably great. One huge plus Car2Go has over ZipCar and Modo though, is the ability to not have to return the car to the same location, making one way trips very easy.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#49 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:20 PM

I believe there used to be a Modo spot across the street from my place in the 900 block of North Park.

#50 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

I believe there used to be a Modo spot across the street from my place in the 900 block of North Park.

It's still there, in the parking lot of an apartment building. Was my regular car when I also lived in NP.

#51 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:51 PM

It's still there, in the parking lot of an apartment building...

Ahh...there it is.

modo.JPG

I didn't see it on the modo map when I looked earlier.

#52 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:50 PM

http://modo.coop/blo...-mayor-helps-1/

Living Car-Free: 5 Questions with City of Victoria Mayor, Lisa Helps

For some people, the idea of living car-free can seem impossible or, at the very least, a major inconvenience. However, with increased investment in accessible public transportation, infrastructure like protected bike lanes, and the rise of carsharing, living car-free (or car-lite) has become a common way of life.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:13 PM

Oh ya, she told me she was seriously considering it when I was over at her place last month.

#54 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:31 PM

Oh ya, she told me she was seriously considering it when I was over at her place last month.

So are you like her new cheerleader squad? Seems like Victoria Bc today page is posting positive stories about her worshipfulness

#55 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:35 PM

Is it odd that apart from UVic, Saanich has no Modo cars, and West Shore has zero?

I see there is one at the ferry terminal now.

http://www.modo.coop/map/

Car share use is often correlated with bike, walk & transit use. Saanich is less friendly to all of those, hence less car share use (and no cars)

#56 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:48 PM

A few weeks ago heading west on the TCH, I had a guy in a Modo car tailgating me in the construction zone approaching McKenzie.  Traffic was heavy, but he thought it would be a good idea to fly past me on the right in the bus lane, through the intersection and merge aggressively afterwards.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:45 PM

You’ve got it on video, right?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#58 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:47 PM

I did, but I didn't get around to pulling the card before it was overwritten.

#59 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:44 AM

Car share use is often correlated with bike, walk & transit use. Saanich is less friendly to all of those, hence less car share use (and no cars)

I think also more of an economic choice for most folks to conform with their lifestyle where they simply dont drive enough to justify a car. I guess we'll also see more of that with these condos and rentals being built with no dedicated parking spot. 

I dont think Saanich being 'less friendly' plays as much of a role as less density does. Building more bike lanes and reducing car lanes and adding a few extra buses with the by-product being congestion wont encourage car share as much as a captive audience does. Creating multi story residential with fewer parking spots than units creates that audience as well as long wait lists to access those spots.

My daughter is moving to London UK next Summer to attend Uni and this is what she'll probably subscribe to for the 1-2 days a month they may want a car. 

Edited by rjag, 31 October 2017 - 06:45 AM.

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:48 AM

I think it’s also a living style. There are certainly tens of thousands of Saanichites that do not own cars. But they have other means - transit, rides from family or use of a family members vehicle.

You likely have the highest concentration of single occupant homes in the City, not Saanich.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users