Modo Carshare

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#81 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,308 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:00 PM

It's finally here! We are incredibly excited to introduce you to our sister company, U-Pool, a carpool service that promotes affordable, convenient and sustainable transportation. We connect passengers with drivers heading the same direction by combining technology and convenience with real-time, on-demand carpooling in the Greater Vancouver Area.

this is from the u-bike people here.

https://www.u-pool.ca/#how-it-works

#82 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:15 PM

Oh, great. Are people going to be stripping these cars down for parts on Pandora Street?

#83 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:22 PM

I heard Loop Electric Scooter sharing is coming as well.

The hobos will love these.

http://loopscooters.com/

#84 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:47 PM

Oh, great. Are people going to be stripping these cars down for parts on Pandora Street?

U-Pool isn't about green cars, it's seems to be just Uber's original model - car-pooling via an app.

#85 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,308 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:56 PM

for a true pooling app to work it has to be more intuitive and much more seamless.   i need to be rolling up douglas on my trip towards nanaimo then hit one or two buttons and learn who's waiting and where for a ride and what they look like.  it has to be half dating app half car-share app.  when they get in the car our phones have to sense one another and "start the meter" and when the person jumps out the meter turns off and debits and credits our accounts accordingly.   it's not going to work if i have to spend 4 minutes inputting my destination data and then 6 minutes negotiating back and forth with potential riders over a $12 or $18 fare.   

#86 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:50 PM

3gaccs.jpg

• Mike K., Matt R., Sparky and 1 other like this

#87 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,308 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 04:10 PM

The car-share service Share Now, formerly known as Car2Go, said Wednesday it will shut down operations in North America early next year. 

The German company, which recently merged with the car-share service DriveNow under the name Share Now, says its last day of service will be Feb. 29, 2020.

Share Now has over 800,000 customers in North America. In Canada, it operates in Vancouver and Montreal. In Vancouver, the company's top market in North America, it has some 236,000 customers. 

The closure will also affect riders in Chicago, New York City, Seattle and Washington.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-down-1.5401113

Vancouver Mayor Kennedy Stewart said the company's departure isn't surprising and highlights the need for better transit in the city.

He's pushing for federal and provincial funding for a SkyTrain line to the University of British Columbia, the electrification of the bus system and more rapid buses around the region.

"In the end, it's not private gas-powered automobiles that are the future," he told reporters after a council meeting. "It's electrification and transit that we need."

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 December 2019 - 04:11 PM.

#88 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,308 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:40 AM

A B.C. car-sharing company now boasts a wheelchair accessible van in its Greater Victoria fleet.

On Feb. 5, Modo announced that the barrier-free mobility van is ready to be reserved. The van is the first shared accessible vehicle in the region and the second in the company’s province-wide fleet – the first van debuted in Vancouver in 2013.

The new van, a 2019 Dodge Accessibility Van, is based at the Community Living Victoria office on Cedar Hill Cross Road in Saanich.

https://www.vicnews....victoria-fleet/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 February 2020 - 07:42 AM.

#89 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,308 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 11:20 AM

Carshare users in the West Shore will have a few more options, as Modo announced the addition of three new vehicles to Langford.

The B.C.-based company says they have partnered with the City of Langford to add two electric vehicles and one hybrid to their existing fleet.

These vehicles will be accessible to the public, with residents and members able to use them during the day and City staff using them in the evening.

https://www.victoria...rs-in-langford/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 June 2021 - 11:21 AM.

• gstc84 likes this

#90 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 June 2021 - 05:40 PM

BCAA's Evo car share is expanding to Victoria with 80 Toyota Prius hybrids. Via https://www.cheknews...-summer-814516/
  • JohnsonStBridge likes this

#91 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,308 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:47 PM

BCAA's Evo car share is expanding to Victoria with 80 Toyota Prius hybrids. Via https://www.cheknews...-summer-814516/

that's very impressive.  80 cars.

#92 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,308 posts

Posted 28 June 2021 - 09:59 AM

Modo, which already has more than 100 cars in Victoria, allows for members to pick up and drop vehicles from a “home base” location. The majority of cars in their fleet are hybrid, with a few electric vehicles. 

“The idea we try in our model is to have a choice of two, three, cars within a five minute walk of where our members live,” says Patrick Nangle, CEO of Modo. “It comes pretty close to replicating what it might have been like if they owned their car.” 

Unlike Modo, Evo users don’t need to return the vehicle to the same spot from which they picked it up. Instead, in coordination with the city, Evo has an approved “20 km home zone” where consumers can park their vehicle in a designated parkade spot, residential street space, or metered stall in the downtown core for free.

https://www.capitald...rshare-victoria

^ that's an interesting drop model.  sounds good.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 June 2021 - 10:01 AM.

#93 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,397 posts

Posted 28 June 2021 - 10:08 AM

...that's an interesting drop model.  sounds good.

This is more or less the model used by the short-lived bike share business. We all know how well that worked, although I suppose it's fairly unlikely anyone will be dumping their car into the inner harbour.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#94 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,308 posts

Posted 28 June 2021 - 10:09 AM

This is more or less the model used by the short-lived bike share business. We all know how well that worked, although I suppose it's fairly unlikely anyone will be dumping their car into the inner harbour.

i thought of that too.  i wonder if they need to move them about occasionally.  

#95 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 28 June 2021 - 10:43 AM

i thought of that too.  i wonder if they need to move them about occasionally.  

Same model as Car2go, too, before it was bought up and killed off :/

You see Evos everywhere in Vancouver, not sure how often they need to be ferried from high demand dump locations. The cars all have rooftop bike racks, and I'm pretty sure that some drivers doing the ferrying arrive by bike rather than being chauffeured by a second driver.

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#96 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 28 June 2021 - 11:22 AM

EVO and Car2go worked great in vancouver.  It was a really great option to have. I'm really looking forward to it. 

#97 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,308 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 04:42 AM

Better Mobility Saanich is calling on the district to engage with car-share providers so vehicles can be accessed when needed by people choosing active transportation and/or a car-light lifestyle.

Formed earlier this year, the group advocates for the needs of all road users and has identified a number of strategic priorities. Among those is improved access to car share services, said organization member Dean Murdock, a former Saanich councillor.

Sharing services such as Modo allow people without a private vehicle to book one when they need it, and avoid the large expense that comes with owning.

“It creates a much more equitable transportation reality for residents who cannot afford a private automobile,” Murdock said.

https://www.vicnews....hare-providers/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 July 2021 - 04:43 AM.

#98 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 July 2021 - 07:40 AM

Hang on, after years of being told we can all ride our bikes for the monthly Costco fill, now we should all have access to cars?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#99 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 07:53 AM

Remind me again why car rental companies have to pay for their parking areas and these companies get free parking areas from the city? 

#100 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 July 2021 - 08:04 AM

Remind me again why car rental companies have to pay for their parking areas and these companies get free parking areas from the city? 

It's kind of like how we have given Uber drivers preference over the taxi cartel... oh, hold on...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users