Photo

Vimy Ridge

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:55 PM

Comox, B.C. pilot Dale Erhart is packing six First World War replica biplanes all into one Boeing C-17 for his flight.

He and his flight team will be reenacting the harrowing experience of some of the earliest pilots when they head to France to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the iconic Battle of Vimy Ridge on April 9.

Once their mission is completed in France, the two Sopwith Camel "Pups" and four Nieuport scout aircraft will be loaded back into the Boeing and flown back to Canada.

There they will unload again, reassemble, and fly the biplanes to Ottawa in time to perform at Canada's 150th anniversary celebrations.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ridge-1.4030954

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:01 PM

Fort Rodd Hill to stage a FREE “Salute to Vimy” program this Saturday

More: http://victoriabuzz....ogram-saturday/
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 4,828 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:27 PM

LAC & National Archives in the London are doing a series on the battle over the next 4 weeks. Here are the first couple
https://thediscoverb...ional-archives/
https://thediscoverb...s-preparations/

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:41 PM

Bay St. Armoury has something going on Sunday.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 4,828 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:19 PM

oh yeah there it is, thx for the heads-up

https://www.esquimal...-street-armoury

Edited by amor de cosmos, 03 April 2017 - 08:25 PM.

#26 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 4,828 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:42 AM

fort rodd hill is doing something on saturday also

http://victoriabuzz....ogram-saturday/

also

On Saturday, April 8 at 11 a.m. soldiers of the Canadian Scottish Regiment will march to Victoria City Hall and seek renewal of the Freedom of the City they earned in 1974. That ceremony will end at the Parliament Building lawn.

http://www.vicnews.c.../418023923.html

Edited by amor de cosmos, 04 April 2017 - 07:46 AM.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:55 PM

There is usually some truth in every myth. On Easter Monday, 1917, Canadian-led forces fighting together for the first time captured a piece of terrain allied forces had been unable to secure. The victory did not change the strategic situation. It was, in fact, part of a larger offensive that failed badly. And it was all part of a petty European squabble that got horribly out of hand, killing 60,000 Canadians and as many as 13 million civilians.

The Canadians who took Vimy Ridge, some of whom were children, were fighting under abominable conditions in a senseless war that should have ended a year earlier after the bloodbath at the Somme. They were not fighting for freedom, justice, democracy or to end wars. By this time, most were just trying to improve the chance that they and their friends would survive.

Those chances were not improved by the fact that they were under the overall command of British General Douglas Haig, who considered that the war was not going well on any day that 5,000 of his own troops were not killed. His staff began to refer to that number as “normal wastage.” Haig then looped them back to Ypres, and over the objections of Canadian commanders, assigned them a new ridge: Passchendaele.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.eS1QmZyT.dpuf

I'm afraid I'm inclined to agree.

• tedward and jonny like this

#28 tedward

tedward
  • 1,944 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:29 AM

^ Have you read Canada in the Great Power Game, 1914-2014 by Gwynne Dyer? An interesting read along with

Back to the Front: An Accidental Historian Walks the Trenches of World War I by Stephen O'Shea.

• AllseeingEye likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:31 AM

^ Have you read Canada in the Great Power Game, 1914-2014 by Gwynne Dyer? An interesting read along with

Back to the Front: An Accidental Historian Walks the Trenches of World War I by Stephen O'Shea.

I should.  The only book I've read is Pierre Burton's.

https://www.amazon.c...n/dp/0385658427

But I have studied lots online.

#30 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,994 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:02 AM

Very good point; although the Dyer book wasn't his very best it is still a very worthwhile read IMO; ultimately Dyer and (currently) Tim Cook are the penultimate authorities on Canadian Military History and especially on our historical place in international arena post 1914.

For the record in response to VHF, I disagree with Geimer's thesis particularly his denigrating of Canada's place and influence in international relations.

I'll take the word of people I know/knew who advised the PM back in the day on national security affairs, as well as at least two highly experienced friends currently serving in the diplomatic corps, over the 'conclusions' of an American who ducked out on his country and who among other things bemoans DND spending and requests for more $$$ for, among other things, "bombers". Really? "Bombers"? Just so you are aware Mr. ex-82nd Airborne, Canada hasn't had "bombers" in its inventory in three-quarters of a century - since the Second World War. So given that fact combined with more or less continuous federal government indifference to the military, I rather highly doubt that DND is looking to purchase "bombers" again anytime soon.......

• tedward likes this

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:05 AM

...more $$$ for, among other things, "bombers". Really? "Bombers"? Just so you are aware Mr. ex-82nd Airborne, Canada hasn't had "bombers" in its inventory in three-quarters of a century - since the Second World War. So given that fact combined with more or less continuous federal government indifference to the military, I rather highly doubt that DND is looking to purchase "bombers" again anytime soon.......

Maybe he was just putting it in simple terms.  Over the last 30 years, when our fighters have released weapons in a real role, what did they shoot/drop?  I think you'll find it was "bombs" (or air-to-round missiles?), over Iraq, Kosovo, Syria, Afghanistan(?), Libya etc.   So they might be "fighters", but they do not shoot at other planes often.  Or ever.  They drop bombs.  When was the last time a Canadian jet fired on another aircraft?  Korea?  Or WW2?

#32 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,994 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:24 AM

Maybe he was just putting it in simple terms.  Over the last 30 years, when our fighters have released weapons in a real role, what did they shoot/drop?  I think you'll find it was "bombs", over Iraq, Kosovo, Syria, Afghanistan(?), Libya etc.   So they might be "fighters", but they do not shoot at other plans often.  Or ever.  They drop bombs.

I rather doubt it; and if that is the case then Mr. Military, who purports to be an author of some repute, should know better and write with far more exactitude. I've read some of Geimer's stuff and he isn't remotely in Cook's class or that of Dyer, when he was at his very best from the 70's-90's. Even if that was not his intent, leave it to an American to pee all over someone else's parade.....

He's probably mad because the US jumped in far too late and made zero material difference to Allied victory in that conflict. I completely agree war is a terrible endeavor, a failure on every level of diplomacy and civilized national discourse; regardless I find it churlish and insulting his comment that 1914-18 was a "petty European squabble". My grandfather spent 4 years on the Western Front. Unlike Geimer he was an actual, for-real veteran of combat - not a pretend soldier training in the safety of some Tennessee backwater US Army base. I rather suspect he would've chosen an altogether different adjective to describe what he experienced at that time and place.

If 1914-18 was what Geimer so cavalierly calls a "squabble" then what was the US Civil War - which Americans almost universally and tearfully pronounce as the defining and ultimately shining moment of the US Republic, the coming of age of their nation....a tea party? A back yard BBQ? A social get together? Please.....

• jonny likes this

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:37 AM

^ I agree with you to some extent.  But I tell you, the more I read about WW1, the more I see that many people, many nations can not even explain why the war began.  Or continued.  It's almost as if that's just "what nations do" (or did), war with one another.  It's certainly a head-scratcher, compared to say, the reasons for WW2.    

• tedward and jonny like this

#34 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 4,828 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:34 AM

latest post from the national archives

Everything was in place for the hour of the assault, 5:30 am on April 9, 1917. The preceding hours of darkness aided by cloud cover had permitted the infantry to file forward unobserved into their jumping off positions, many of which were clearly observable to the enemy in daylight. Had this movement been witnessed, an enemy barrage may have broken up the assault wave with serious casualties; as it was, the positions were gained without notice. In the half-light of zero-hour under a cold overcast sky, when manoeuvring was still largely obscured from the enemy, the intense bombardment opened with sudden fury and the advance of the infantry began.

https://thediscoverb...e-preparations/

#35 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:38 AM

WWI was a squabble among the current Queen's dysfunctional ancestors, fueled by a whole bunch of complicated "my enemy's enemy is my friend" treaties.

America's Civil War was much more profound, rooted in deeply entrenched racism and the power struggle between the states and the federal government, a rift that still has not healed.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:13 AM

Here is a run-down of stuff:

http://www.cheknews....le-vimy-299576/

#37 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,621 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:35 AM

WWI was a squabble among the current Queen's dysfunctional ancestors, fueled by a whole bunch of complicated "my enemy's enemy is my friend" treaties.

Generally a pretty good description of lots of wars over the past few centuries. Always amazed me how so many people were willing to throw away their lives to avenge some King's perceived slight, the desire of a Caesar to try out a new spice or because an Emperor was restless. One consistent thing is that whether you were on the inning or losing side you were a hero and your actions are to be revered for time immemorial. 

I half expected to wake to CNN this morning watching school children singing the anthem to a back drop of cruise missile launches.

• VicHockeyFan and sdwright.vic like this

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:38 AM

I half expected to wake to CNN this morning watching school children singing the anthem to a back drop of cruise missile launches.

Brian Williams got into it:

https://www.washingt...-leonard-cohen/

#39 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:07 PM

C Scot R is exercising Freedom of the City for Vimy tomorrow. They leave Bay Street Armoury just after 11 to be at City Hall for 1130. From there they continue to the Leg.
  • VicHockeyFan and AllseeingEye like this

#40 LJ

LJ
  • 9,117 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:15 PM

One consistent thing is that whether you were on the inning or losing side you were a hero and your actions are to be revered for time immemorial. 

Except for the poor guys who got sent to Vietnam. 

• sdwright.vic likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users