Photo

DIY Victoria Street Party Protest Dance 2.0

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:50 PM

Saw this on Facebook several weeks ago, guess it took a while for an official response ..

diy.PNG

#2 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:57 PM

From the event page 

https://www.facebook...86539684936649/

Attached Images

• DIY2.PNG

Edited by Mr_E_Squirrel, 16 April 2016 - 09:00 PM.

#3 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:01 PM

DIY3.PNG

#4 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:48 PM

https://vicstreetpar...-to-the-haters/

7 Minutes Ago by vicstreetparty

The City and cops have started spamming this event, so we wanted to address some of the things they’ve brought up.

“You should have coordinated this with the City.”

The point of this event is to show that people can just get together and horizontally organize a dope event with a few hundred crowd-sourced dollars. Coordinating with the City means organizing on their terms. Terms that prioritize gentrification over community. This isn’t just a party, it’s a model for social organizing. For one night we’re going to reclaim the space, joy, and freedom that capitalism takes away from us every day. For one night, we’re not going to ask.

“The VicPD is concerned about safety.”

We’re calling bullshit. Most of the people who got hurt at Vancouver’s recent street party were pepper sprayed by the cops. Otherwise, the event wasn’t sketchier than any club. We believe that they’re concerned about the riotous potential of a group of rowdy people having fun downtown, and the security of downtown businesses, not individuals’ safety. I know Victoria isn’t used to people actually partying downtown on a Friday night, but really? We can can take care of ourselves, thanks.

“What about the local businesses?” Like running out of liquor and pizza. I’m sure they will benefit from thousands of people. Duh!

“Is there a cleanup crew?”

We’ll have trash cans set up. We already have server people who have voulenteered. Also we would love additional volunteers.

TL;DR: We don’t care. We’re having a party.

https://www.facebook...86539684936649/

ee4b915a6dd74398ffe570c05e23acf9.jpg?w=1

#5 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:59 PM

Has VICPD tried interpretive dance?

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:06 PM

"For one night we’re going to reclaim the space, joy, and freedom that capitalism takes away from us every day."

What?
  • Nparker and sebberry like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:13 PM

Well I'm going.

#8 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:17 AM

I kind of wish the VicPD had shown this much interest and concern when the DIY Tent Party started up.

• Nparker, weirdie and dasmo like this

#9 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:09 AM

So it is true.... only certain people and things have to be afraid of the wrath of city hall and VicPD?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:47 AM

Has VICPD tried interpretive dance?

Sort of...  https://twitter.com/...f_src=twsrc^tfw

• todd likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#11 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:47 AM

The City and cops have started spamming this event...

Writer may not be clear on what does or does not constitute spam. I wonder if his mailbox is also full of junk mail from the CRA?

• sebberry likes this

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:36 AM

If this were a statement about the City's laissez-faire attitude towards open drug use, drug dealing, tent cities and disruptions to society at the hands of well organized protesters and their unfortunate pawns, that'd be one thing. But the attitude of the organizers seems to be that because we live in a capitalistic society we are owed one night of chaos. I'm not saying the event will turn into a giant free for all, but the original planners of these events did things the right way for the simple reason that if things go sideways there are resources to draw from and everyone stays safe.

As it stands now, this is just another statement borne out of the tent city's modus operandi and has lost the spirit of these decentralized dance events.

Of course that being said I'm still going!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:40 AM

By far my favorite local celebrity police officer.

#14 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:36 AM

According to Facebook 2,726 are attending so far.

#15 Jayson Brown

Jayson Brown
  • 18 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:32 PM

I am going to dance my ass off!

• todd likes this

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:18 PM

I wish them well.

People can organize and do whatever they want lawfully without the Nanny State being informed. 

It's a dance party.  What is this, Footloose rules?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EdkUt4f5wg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#17 VicPushedOver

VicPushedOver
  • 450 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:48 AM

And so marks the beginning of the unravel for Helps and current City Council.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:02 AM

Councillor Alto will be on CFAX after the 10am news, talking about this.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#19 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:32 AM

This is why city hall is nervous:

Event goes off without a hitch and is peaceful: other groups like the Electronic Music Festival, Busker festival etc will say, hey, why are we bothering with complex and expensive permits?

Event is cancelled: people might show up anyway, potential for police conflict.

Event goes on but gets out of control due to lack of security: potential riot.

Old timers might remember Swiftsure in the '80s when crowds often got rowdy and violent before a switch to more pro-active policing made it calmer and more family friendly.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:46 AM

Old timers might remember Swiftsure in the '80s when crowds often got rowdy and violent before a switch to more pro-active policing made it calmer and more family friendly.

I don't even think Swiftsure night at the harbour is even a thing anymore.    Canada Day is the one they worry about now.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users