Photo

DIY Victoria Street Party Protest Dance 2.0

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#21 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:52 AM

I just hope the dance party makes it down near the Royal Theatre at about 11:30 pm when 1,400 opera attendees are dumped on the streets and are trying to get to their cars to go home. That should lead to an interesting cultural interaction.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:54 PM

4/20 tomorrow at Centennial Square. At this time it's unclear if VicPD are concerned no permits have been taken out.

Matt Rutherford of VicPD was asked on CFAX today, what would happen if the Friday dance party folks were openly drinking and smoking pot on the streets.  He said the liquor rules would apply to drinking in public.  He did not answer regarding pot, ignored that half of the question.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:22 PM

...He did not answer regarding pot, ignored that half of the question.

I imagine he would not want to publicly decry a direct order from the head of the Victoria Police board.

#24 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:32 PM

interesting seeing how agitated city council is getting over this and the apparent public gathering without a permit....double standards or what

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#25 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:43 PM

i would personally like to hear about somebody camping at Rathtrevor Provincial Campground for a few weeks, months, etc.,  refusing to pay, and see what happens. That is a provincial matter, much like tent city.

• Nparker, JanionGuy and Dr. Barillas like this

#26 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:40 PM

A provincial park might not be the best example, just because the Park Act gives a lot of power to evict - and that power is used frequently.

#27 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:50 AM

Great, then the province should either make the courthouse green space a provincial park and have rangers enforce the rules or donate it to the city (which would allow them to enforce the park sleeping rules - which they probably won't do, but can't use that excuse anymore).

• Nparker and Jill like this

#28 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:14 PM

interesting seeing how agitated city council is getting over this and the apparent public gathering without a permit....double standards or what

<sigh> "double standards", talk of infringing freedom? :whyme:

All the police did was try and work with a group of people promoting a large event with no track record here but which in other cities has caused problems. I call that being proactive on the part of VicPD and totally reasonable.

How is a gathering in Centennial Square, by a long-standing and relatively harmless group, in any way comparable to an unknown entity advocating a party in the streets? At the very least traffic issues warrant some sort of police liaison. 

The comparisons with the tent city re: police involvement are absurd because I am sure, if a FB group had been set up in advance and made public with the plans, they might have indeed started to interact beforehand.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:23 PM

All the police did was try and work with a group of people promoting a large event with no track record here but which in other cities has caused problems. I call that being proactive on the part of VicPD and totally reasonable.

How is a gathering in Centennial Square, by a long-standing and relatively harmless group, in any way comparable to an unknown entity advocating a party in the streets? At the very least traffic issues warrant some sort of police liaison. 

The City official said a particular group can not take over a public space to the exclusion of others.  I think if you do not like smoke, you'd not be able to use Centennial Square today.

• Nparker and Midnightly like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:36 PM

The comparisons with the tent city re: police involvement are absurd because I am sure, if a FB group had been set up in advance and made public with the plans, they might have indeed started to interact beforehand.

The Victoria organizers have no relation to the originators of the idea and who organized the first Victoria one. They did everything by the book. The Victoria guys are planning a protest.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#31 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:50 PM

...The Victoria guys are planning a protest.

Veiling a protest in the guise of something more politically palatable seems to be the new normal. 

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:38 PM

DVBA:

Victoria DIY Street Party

As you may be aware, an unsanctioned and unpermitted event, called the DIY Street Party, has been posted on Facebook to take place on Friday, April 22nd.  It is to start in Centennial Square, but then move to another  location within the downtown.  The event has invited 6,400 people, with 2,600 saying that they will be attending. VicPD have been working with Mayor Helps and the City of Victoria in efforts to contact the event organizers and shut down the event, but to no avail.

VicPD is now working to mitigate the situation and will be deploying resources to work to protect the rights and property of local businesses and citizens.  We will provide further information to you as we receive it from VicPD or the City. In the meantime, please be aware of the situation and ensure you have sufficient staffing in place.

Well, except that Alto, Helps and VicPD all went on radio this week to say they are not trying to "shut it down".

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:06 PM

How is a gathering in Centennial Square, by a long-standing and relatively harmless group... 

That's the thing, right?  This long-standing group has been organizing an event with no permits for over a decade, and the City seems to have no issue.

I kind of laughed at the pot guy on CFAX today.  He said something along the lines of "the demographic has certainly changed over the years.  Now we have all kinds of people at the event.  From 19-year-olds to 80-year-olds".

Uh dude, the demographic is probably still at least 25% UNDER 19 years old.  You know, the ones that are not even allowed to buy cigarettes legally.

• Rob Randall, Nparker and http like this

#34 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:18 PM

Uh dude, the demographic is probably still at least 25% UNDER 19 years old.  You know, the ones that are not even allowed to buy cigarettes legally.

This old fart will be part of the drove that stays away. :P

#35 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:00 PM

Well, except that Alto, Helps and VicPD all went on radio this week to say they are not trying to "shut it down".

If that's true I don't want to go now.

#36 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:12 PM

Absolutely vicpd needs to be aware and organized for any situation at anytime based in part on information gathered etc

You may not remember the heady times in the 80's with swiftsure and the thousands that would gather in front of the empress and the Leg on the Friday night.

Have several friends that are prior senior vicpd and they always said the safest event was no event

My point about double standards was in reference to the tent city and the blatant continued disregard for laws and bylaws yet no one at city hall is getting upset on behalf of resident taxpayers and making a fuss
  • Nparker, Bingo and VicPushedOver like this

#37 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:16 PM

Absolutely vicpd needs to be aware and organized for any situation at anytime based in part on information gathered etc

You may not remember the heady times in the 80's with swiftsure and the thousands that would gather in front of the empress and the Leg on the Friday night.

Have several friends that are prior senior vicpd and they always said the safest event was no event

My point about double standards was in reference to the tent city and the blatant continued disregard for laws and bylaws yet no one at city hall is getting upset on behalf of resident taxpayers and making a fuss

And in fact didn't Komrade Isitt not say something last week to the effect he could foresee the tent city continuing on in more or less its current state for "up to two years" without batting an eye?

#38 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 09:17 PM

And in fact didn't Komrade Isitt not say something last week to the effect he could foresee the tent city continuing on in more or less its current state for "up to two years" without batting an eye?

He most certainly did. I think he dreams of this outcome in his sleep.

#39 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:22 AM

He most certainly did. I think he dreams of this outcome in his sleep.

Some people sleep walk.

#40 Wally

Wally
  • 161 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:29 AM

I don't see this event getting violent but I forsee open drug use, drinking and taunting of the cops. My bet is that 50% of those attending will be there more to see what happens then to actually support the event!

Will probably be a fair amount of garbage and mess for local businesses to clean up before they can open on Saturday.

Edited by Wally, 21 April 2016 - 10:30 AM.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users