Photo

DIY Victoria Street Party Protest Dance 2.0

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#41 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:25 PM

This isn't the first time Victoria has done massive roaming parties of a few thousand people; there were a few decentralized dance parties done a few years back and they went well without many problems or hassle from police. Alot of hype and fear mongering around this one but I suppose the defiant attitudes of the organizers don't help much. Let then have their gathering, ensure noise bylaws are respected and it should be fine.

#42 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:25 PM

This isn't the first time Victoria has done massive roaming parties of a few thousand people; there were a few decentralized dance parties done a few years back and they went well without many problems or hassle from police. Alot of hype and fear mongering around this one but I suppose the defiant attitudes of the organizers don't help much. Let then have their gathering, ensure noise bylaws are respected and it should be fine.

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:27 PM

The previous decentralized dance party had involvement from the VicPD and City Hall. It was a "decentralized" party for sure, but it was by the books.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:43 PM

A previous parties didn't use aggressive themes like "take back the City" and "the streets are ours". As far as anyone knows, this could just be another UVIC assistant with a made up group and a facebook page.  

#45 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:55 PM

I'm all for an eradicate Tent City/ Take Back the Courthouse park event. 

• Nparker likes this

#46 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:14 PM

I'm all for an eradicate Tent City/ Take Back the Courthouse park event. 

In dance?

#47 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:24 PM

In dance?

Sure, we can make in interpretive or one of those flahsmob hip hop style throw downs.  

Whatever happened with that flashmob they were supposed to do the day before the Mad as Hell event was supposed to happen? I haven't seen any videos posted but I imagine it would've been reminiscent of MJ's Thriller video.

#48 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:24 PM

I really like the Mike Russell arm dusting move, would work good for this event. "The Russell Duster"

#49 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,144 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:48 PM

VicPD just put out a release on the dance party.

VicPD
Navigation Menu
DIY Street Party Update
Posted on Apr 22, 2016
As you may be aware, there is an event called the “DIY Street Party” planned for Centennial Square on Friday, April 22nd that has been posted on Facebook. The event organizers have invited 8,400 people, and 3,200 have posted that that they plan to attend. This event has not yet been approved by the City, as no permit application was made. As a result, there is no site security plan, which is required to ensure everyone’s safety. There are no plans for washroom facilities, first aid, refreshments, or traffic control. The event organizers have no insurance and are directly liable for any costs incurred should anyone be hurt or any property damaged during this event. Additional staffing costs to ensure public safety, which are borne by the City and include the costs of policing the event, will also become the responsibility of the organizers.
We are working with local business owners in anticipation of this event. Some planned activities, including the use of an amplified speaker to play music, will likely interfere with the rights of other people in the downtown area, including a school musical being performed in the MacPherson Theatre.
Please talk to your family and friends to see if they plan to attend this event. If they are, please remind them that the downtown area exists for everyone to enjoy safely – our community has rules in place to ensure respect for everyone’s interests, and everyone has a part to play in community safety and respect for others.
Posted by: Communications Coordinator Bowen Osoko
  • Nparker likes this

#50 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:03 PM

I really like the Mike Russell arm dusting move, would work good for this event. "The Russell Duster"

Whoa now, I hope these guys had a permit.

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#51 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:08 PM

If that's true I don't want to go now.

VicPD just put out a release on the dance party.

VicPD
Navigation Menu
DIY Street Party Update
Posted on Apr 22, 2016
As you may be aware, there is an event called the “DIY Street Party” planned for Centennial Square on Friday, April 22nd that has been posted on Facebook. The event organizers have invited 8,400 people, and 3,200 have posted that that they plan to attend. This event has not yet been approved by the City, as no permit application was made. As a result, there is no site security plan, which is required to ensure everyone’s safety. There are no plans for washroom facilities, first aid, refreshments, or traffic control. The event organizers have no insurance and are directly liable for any costs incurred should anyone be hurt or any property damaged during this event. Additional staffing costs to ensure public safety, which are borne by the City and include the costs of policing the event, will also become the responsibility of the organizers.
We are working with local business owners in anticipation of this event. Some planned activities, including the use of an amplified speaker to play music, will likely interfere with the rights of other people in the downtown area, including a school musical being performed in the MacPherson Theatre.
Please talk to your family and friends to see if they plan to attend this event. If they are, please remind them that the downtown area exists for everyone to enjoy safely – our community has rules in place to ensure respect for everyone’s interests, and everyone has a part to play in community safety and respect for others.
Posted by: Communications Coordinator Bowen Osoko

Definitely going now! Little uneasy about the no refreshments however.

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:11 PM

Additional staffing costs to ensure public safety, which are borne by the City and include the costs of policing the event, will also become the responsibility of the organizers.

Like at tent city, right?  Everyone there is getting the bill?

• Nparker, Dietrich, sebberry and 1 other like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#53 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:15 PM

Whoa now, I hope these guys had a permit.

They might be trying to break up this unsanctioned event with expression from the soul? Did you notice the Russell Duster dropped in the video?

#54 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:27 PM

Don't worry, people will be bringing their own!

• zoomer likes this

#55 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:33 PM

Don't worry, people will be bringing their own!

They should have got the folks from SIC to cater this. I understand their BBQ squirrel is unrivalled.

• sebberry likes this

#56 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:57 PM

VicPD
Navigation Menu
Tent City Update
Posted on Apr 22, 2016
As you may be aware, there is an event called the "Tent City" planned for Courthouse Lawn that has been posted on Facebook. Saskatchewan has invited 8,400 people, and 3,200 have posted that that they plan to accept a bus ticket to attend. This event has not yet been approved by the City, as no permit application was made. As a result, there is no site security plan, which is required to ensure everyone’s safety. There are no plans for washroom facilities other than the church door, first aid, refreshments, or traffic control. The event organizers have no insurance and are directly liable for any costs incurred should anyone be hurt or any property damaged during this event. Additional staffing costs to ensure public safety, which are borne by the City and include the costs of policing the event, will also become the responsibility of the organizers.
We are working with local business owners in anticipation of this event. Some planned activities, including the use of a sacred fire, will likely interfere with the rights of other people in the downtown area, including a school.

• Mike K., zoomer, Nparker and 6 others like this

#57 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:00 PM

Can you live tweet and ustream it for us?  Some of us refuse to go without refreshments.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:03 PM

Laconic, wow.
  • todd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#59 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:35 PM

VicPD
Navigation Menu
Tent City Update
Posted on Apr 22, 2016
As you may be aware, there is an event called the "Tent City" planned for Courthouse Lawn that has been posted on Facebook....

I wish I could like this post more than once. A perfect summary laconic. You captured all the irony and hypocrisy in one paragraph. I tip my hat to you sir (or madam).  :drillsergeant:

• Mike K. likes this

#60 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:25 PM

Listening to the Mayor on the local news, not sure how she's saying this with a straight face: "It's NOT FAIR, that's the thing that bugs me..." "this isn't FAIR, because why should this group just get to do whatever the heck they want in in downtown on a Friday night without any other members of the public knowing what's going on".

Irony is a ***** eh..

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users