Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#2741 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:16 AM

A little cryptic but it looks like Stephen Andrew is entering the race for council and backing Hammond.

https://www.facebook...phenAndrewNews/

#2742 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:21 AM

God I love when people make comments such as this. So,
no, not cryptic at all. I stated publicly I was leaning to run but ensuring that I had volunteers and financial resources. I’m looking before I leap as any responsibly candidate should do. I’m still leaning. If finances and support line up,
I’ll announce. Until then I’m undeclared. There is an announcement coming today from a council member that opens the field a bit.
  • Mike K., rjag, pennymurphy2000 and 3 others like this

#2743 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:22 AM

I don’t think the bike lames have anything even remotely close to widespread support. and they were not even mentioned prior to the last election.

Bike lanes were not mentioned before the last election?  That is laughably wrong.

The current network was in planning well before the last election. Fortin and Helps both made bike lanes major parts of their campaign.  At the two all candidate meetings I was at Chong and Andrew made supportive noises about bike lanes too.

Edited by nerka, 28 August 2018 - 08:25 AM.

#2744 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:27 AM

...There is an announcement coming today from a council member that opens the field a bit.

Now THIS is an interesting statement.

#2745 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:30 AM

Re: bike lanes and the comment I “made noises”. The noise was that I support cycling infrastructure that is sensible and balanced. The bike lanes downtown are fraught with issues. Some can be easily solved. However as we expand cycling infrastructure we need to ensure it works for the entire community. It needs consultation and community input. A typical example how that has worked is the plan to introduce a plan to James Bay. Not thought out, hidden from the community thorough a deliberately misleading project name and very little, if any, community consultation.

Edited by Stephen Andrew, 28 August 2018 - 08:33 AM.

• Nparker, rjag, AndrewReeve and 4 others like this

#2746 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,833 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:30 AM

no, not cryptic at all. I stated publicly I was leaning to run but ensuring that I had volunteers and financial resources. I’m looking before I leap as any responsibly candidate should do. I’m still leaning. If finances and support line up,
I’ll announce. Until then I’m undeclared. There is an announcement coming today from a council member that opens the field a bit.

place your bets. 

i say madoff or lucas not running.  outside chance it's t-j, coleman or young.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 August 2018 - 08:31 AM.

#2747 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:32 AM

Now THIS is an interesting statement.

It is. Out of respect I will not break their confidence,
But I’m sure you’ll all be talking about it.
  • Nparker likes this

#2748 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:37 AM

^ Stephen - thanks for clarifying on bike lanes. I didn't mean to trivialize your position. All I really remembered from the meeting was a statement from you generally supportive of bike lanes.

If bike lanes in general were unpopular (as claimed up-thread) I would have expected one of the mayoral candidates to speak against them in 2014.  None of the 4 "mainstream" candidates did.

I do get that supporting bike lanes in general does not equate to supporting a specific implementation of a bike lane.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2749 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,833 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:37 AM

Bike lanes were not mentioned before the last election?  That is laughably wrong.

june 2014

About $5 million in cycling improvements have been identified as priorities over the next five years as Victoria looks to create safer bike routes.

Coun. Lisa Helps called the proposal a small step in the right direction.

“It’s a good start. What I Iike about the approach is we’ve identified five projects over five years. One of the things I insisted on when the project charter came to us is don’t bring this back to us without a budget. And that’s very positive,” Helps said.

She, too, liked the aspirational nature of the plan.

she was happy there was a budget.  so she could ignore it.  she has gone over it by $9+ million already.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 August 2018 - 08:38 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#2750 Pam

Pam
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:01 AM

It’s Coleman.

#2751 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:19 AM

Here is my question, have you ever commented on anything on VV besides in a pro bicycle stance? If so, it's very difficult for me to remember?

When comments are only one sided in nature and toward only one topic you become a lobby instead of an individual.

He posts a ton about local governance not related to bikes including on who has what authority, grants/financing rules and other matters. He’s also mentioned many times how VV acts like a revolving door for new members due to aggressive posts from longstanding members.

Obviously I have no idea what he’s talking about on that last one.

#2752 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:24 AM

A few thoughts here:

To the folks who are unhappy with the current mayor. I know many are hurt and offended by many of her actions, but please try to keep your commemts as objective and respectful as possible. I say this because, predictably, the mayor's campaign is attempting to weaponize criticism of her in order to get sympathy and donations.

Similarly, and ironically, attempts to paint Mr. Hammond as a homeless hater are just a sad sneak preview of the type of underhanded spin we can expect in the coming weeks. It's both amusing and sad to see the dual attack here: one attack going after people who are "being mean to" the mayor; the other flank going after Hammomd in an equally nasty way.

Also, re. Bike lanes: many such as myself, don't oppose bike lanes, but object to the huge cost overruns, design flaws (buses, blind people) and the clear sense that the political agenda overrode all other concerns.

Edited by rmpeers, 28 August 2018 - 09:25 AM.

• Nparker, Bingo, grantpalin and 2 others like this

#2753 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:24 AM

It’s Coleman.

Yep. Looks like my earlier comment about the statue issue being manufactured to weaken council may not have been far off.

• Pam likes this

#2754 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:26 AM

It is. Out of respect I will not break their confidence,
But I’m sure you’ll all be talking about it.

Half the City knows.

Edited by spanky123, 28 August 2018 - 09:27 AM.

• Pam likes this

#2755 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:29 AM

Was cryptic to me! In any event I think that you would be a shoo in for council and backing Hammond would help give him the extra credibility he needs to win.

• grantpalin, A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#2756 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:33 AM

I will bet that the Helps/Isitt/Loveday crowd will play identity politics on this and turn it into a Right wing vs Left wing battle. Profits over people type of rants.....I hope folks see right through that nonsense

#2757 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:37 AM

how did coleman typically vote?

#2758 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,833 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:37 AM

so if coleman is dropping out does that mean he might be running for mayor instead?

#2759 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:38 AM

I will bet that the Helps/Isitt/Loveday crowd will play identity politics on this and turn it into a Right wing vs Left wing battle. Profits over people type of rants.....I hope folks see right through that nonsense

I don't think it is any coincidence that we have 3 new 'progressive' candidates and 3 council members on the right that Helps would just as soon see gone (IMHO).

#2760 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:39 AM

so if coleman is dropping out does that mean he might be running for mayor instead?

Doubt it. I think he has had enough. Too much BS and not enough money.

Full disclosure, I heard that he is not running but I am only speculating on the reason.

Edited by spanky123, 28 August 2018 - 09:40 AM.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users