Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#2781 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:44 PM

I listened to Hammond when he first came on CFAX.   There was no "get the bums out of the city" at all, but more of where was the leadership from the feds, province and city for the past 20 years to let these people fall through the cracks to where it is now.

Your response reminds me of all of the misguided dogma that is the CoV council.  Quite frankly, it's pathetic.  Citizens should not be afraid to walk in their neigbourhood.....and the two children that were stabbed to death by two individuals with mental illness that were homeless, one while they waited for a bus outside the TC and the other outside McDonalds......but as you trivialize it.....it's reduced to  "I want more convenience and less eyesore for myself".   Good luck with that.  The rest of us want those individuals to receive treatment more that just going to jail after something horrible happens. 

Do you know what's *really* pathetic? When we take a **** on Grace Lore and the Together Victoria slate for their feelsy-goody progressive dogwhistling without actually elaborating on how they will do things different to actually improve the city, then along comes Hammond with similarly soothing, non-action words but everyone starts fawning over him because he comes with a more agreeable worldview.

Yeah no ****, most if not all residents want to see less homeless people begging and violent people not putting others at risk. What matters is how you tackle the problem. And what you see from Hammond and the New Council slate so far lacks that; we simply know that they would do something other than whatever it is Helps and the council are doing right now. We don't know much else because they have chosen to shroud themselves in non-committal, ambivalent language despite Hammond's well-documented activism. For all we know, his grand plan is to simply reduce shelter support, or to set impossible conditions for "responsible" social housing. Both would surely be crowd-pleasers because they'd reduce the number of homeless in the CoV, but they are simply passing the buck to some other jurisdiction rather than actually dealing with the problem. Hence, prioritization of convenience and perception - maybe the people the city is supposed to be helping don't really matter.

#2782 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:47 PM

Maybe that's the point, in that other jurisdictions have passed the buck on to Victoria and Victoria taxpayers have had enough of dealing with problems from other jurisdictions?

• Nparker, Midnightly, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2783 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,854 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:49 PM

any official announcement from councillor coleman?  how about sid tafler's website?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 August 2018 - 03:51 PM.

#2784 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 04:45 PM

any official announcement from councillor coleman? how about sid tafler's website?

Tafler site is supposed to go live on Wednesday.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#2785 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 04:56 PM

...they are simply passing the buck to some other jurisdiction rather than actually dealing with the problem...

If you mean pass it back to the Province and the Feds where the issue of homelessness belongs, I am 100% OK with that. It's time to let someone else deal with this mess.

• rjag, sebberry, Midnightly and 2 others like this

#2786 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 August 2018 - 05:02 PM

If you mean pass it back to the Province and the Feds where the issue of homelessness belongs, I am 100% OK with that. It's time to let someone else deal with this mess.

You mean let the levels of government which are ultimately responsible for the homeless issues deal with it? 

• Nparker, rjag, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2787 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 05:14 PM

Are people who hold right wing political views not able to volunteer in the capacity that you do, or engage in the work that you do? What is it that you are involved with?

That’s a bit of a stretch. Your inference is a leap. What I’m saying is I work for social justice initiatives. For example, I advocate for equal access to medical therapies. On the face of it that is not a “right wing” platform. Also as a gay man - and l get there are gay conservatives - I advocate for a more liberal attitude to acceptance and advocacy. I have been a longtime supporter of performing arts, I live with an artist, I do not support DT in the US, I sit on the boards of Lifetime Networks and RunSport. Frequently on the air I disputed and vigorously defended the often repeated notion that immigrants are responsible for increased crime. He list goes on. But I am not in any way “right wing”. Hope that clears up what I was originally saying. 😀
  • sdwright.vic, Cassidy, rmpeers and 1 other like this

#2788 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 05:28 PM

Coleman has announced he isn’t running again

https://www.cheknews...lection-484315/

#2789 NotHudsonMack

NotHudsonMack
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 05:28 PM

Do you know what's *really* pathetic? When we take a **** on Grace Lore and the Together Victoria slate for their feelsy-goody progressive dogwhistling without actually elaborating on how they will do things different to actually improve the city, then along comes Hammond with similarly soothing, non-action words but everyone starts fawning over him because he comes with a more agreeable worldview.

I agree that there isnt much from Hammond and newcouncil and we should hold him and them to the same standard. I guess the difference is that they promised to be rolling out policy and us uppity people on forums dont dictate timelines. Im confident that we will see substance from them they would lose my vote if they dont. Still + 50 days until the election.

• rmpeers likes this

#2790 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 05:34 PM

The policy we don't have from "newcouncil" still seems better than much of the policy we have seen from "existingcouncil".

• mbjj, pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#2791 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:28 PM

Don't forget at the local level most of these candidates will be happy to chat with you.  If you have any questions about someone,  contact them.  Over the years I never met one who didn't give me straight answers back on where they stand.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#2792 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:17 PM

Coleman has announced he isn’t running again

https://www.cheknews...lection-484315/

Do you blame him?  The next 4 years have the potential of being the Sir James Douglas fiasco on steroids...a real train wreck.

• rjag likes this

#2793 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:26 PM

My moneys on Maddoff is next

#2794 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:29 PM

Agreed, but having listed to Hammond during the tent city debacle, I have more faith in him than the current council or the unicorn rainbow crowd of Together Victoria. 

Maybe that's the point, in that other jurisdictions have passed the buck on to Victoria and Victoria taxpayers have had enough of dealing with problems from other jurisdictions?

How does one tell the hardcore homelesss to go to "another jurisdiction"?  "You should leave downtown and hang out at Costco"?  "You should go to the Oak Bay Tea Party"?  You can move Our Place to Sidney and you won't see much of a change downtown.

Agreed....but services like law enforcement won't be taken over by the Province.  Victoria will continue to manage (or mismanage) this in the long term.

Edited by On the Level, 28 August 2018 - 07:30 PM.

#2795 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:34 PM

I'm genuinely surprised Coleman is stepping down. You never got the sense he got on council as a stepping stone or platform for espousing personal platforms. However, I would not be surprised to see him explore a provincial or federal bid. He was the undisputed king of the local representation to the Union of BC Municipalities over the years and I suspect that doing that for so long has given him a taste of what it's like to make things happen on a larger scale. 

Madoff, on the other hand I cannot see stepping down barring a health problem or other obstacle simply because it's unlikely she could watch from the sidelines as councillors she sees as less informed tackle vital issues of architecture, urban form and urban planning.

This makes Stephen Andrew a serious contender. For the first time I see a path to seeing a new face at City Hall.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#2796 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:39 PM

Do you blame him?  The next 4 years have the potential of being the Sir James Douglas fiasco on steroids...a real train wreck.

I'm guessing you mean "Sir John MacDonald"...unless there's some other fiasco that I missed...

#2797 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:44 PM

I'm guessing you mean "Sir John MacDonald"...unless there's some other fiasco that I missed...

Correct.... :)

#2798 Pam

Pam
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:55 PM

My moneys on Maddoff is next

I think you’d lose that bet.
  • Rob Randall and rjag like this

#2799 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:57 PM

Madoff is like Bea Holland. She will hold that seat until she is physically unable to make it into the council chamber.

• Pam likes this

#2800 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:11 PM

Madoff is like Bea Holland. She will hold that seat until she is physically unable to make it into the council chamber.

hehe when you describe it like that I'll lose the bet!!!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users