• 54 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:01 PM

Stupid phone
  • Matt R. and A Girl is No one like this

#2884 Pam

Pam
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:08 PM

I think Gardner is now unelectable after her comments on c-fax about indigenous people and residential schools.

#2885 Pam

Pam
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:08 PM

I didnt hear her on CFAX. Better see what i can find.

#2886 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,294 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:17 PM

which race is stewart against so we can call him out?

#2887 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:19 PM

"That comment on C-FAX is going to have a huge effect on the election", said the year 1978.

• Nparker, Bob Fugger and nagel like this

#2888 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:42 PM

Maybe that's the point, in that other jurisdictions have passed the buck on to Victoria and Victoria taxpayers have had enough of dealing with problems from other jurisdictions?

But that's also part of the problem. It's generally easier to be homeless in a central business district, and bedroom communities tend to pass the buck by being very strict on vagrancy and light on support for people falling through the cracks. And we get a lot of people from out of the island and province. Coordination between municipalities and higher-level jurisdiction is complete crap though, it's a conversation that really needs to be had.

• Pam and Victoria Watcher like this

#2889 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:43 PM

I don't see how a mini series on FN life ties in to reconciliation. When you reconcile something there is an outcome. What I don't hear from FN is what outcome is being desired or requested.

I recommend reading the goals of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada page which does a very good job of laying out the goals.

I believe a miniseries looking at the experience of the FIrst Nations peoples will likely come under the first listed goal ("(a) Acknowledge Residential School experiences, impacts and consequences;") given the impact of Residential Schools on First Nation life and culture.

• Pam likes this

#2890 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,294 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:47 PM

why did victoria agree to all the social service agencies to start with?  saanich is bigger.  i'm not sure homeless like a central business district except for i guess panhandling.  they like the places such as our place.  saanich does not even have food bank or shelter with food supplied.

#2891 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:52 PM

I didnt hear her on CFAX. Better see what i can find.

If you find out, can you let us know? Now I'm curious.

#2892 Pam

Pam
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 07:21 PM

I will, yes. 

#2893 Pam

Pam
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 07:22 PM

"That comment on C-FAX is going to have a huge effect on the election", said the year 1978.

Now THAT made me laugh!

• rmpeers likes this

#2894 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 07:35 PM

I recommend reading the goals of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada page which does a very good job of laying out the goals.

I believe a miniseries looking at the experience of the FIrst Nations peoples will likely come under the first listed goal ("(a) Acknowledge Residential School experiences, impacts and consequences;") given the impact of Residential Schools on First Nation life and culture.

Written by a bunch of white academics and activists. You know what actual real life native folks want? Jobs and money like the rest of us
  • rjag and Victoria Watcher like this

#2895 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 07:42 PM

Reconciliation on the local (as in COV) level is a completely fabricated endeavour forced on the public by Helps and her minions.

Municipal governments are specifically called out multiple times in the 88 calls to actions by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada. So they have been tasked with taking action. The CoV is hardly the only municipal government in the country taking action on reconciliation.

#2896 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:50 PM

According to your document, the TRC should have ended in 2014.

#2897 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:27 PM

I have thus far held off wading into this murky pond mainly because those insisting on following the "Truth and Reconciliation Yellow Brick Road" a la Ms Helps & Co, have consumed so much of the koolaid there seemed to be no point.

That said I'm probably one of the few people on this thread that actually has worked and continues on occasion to work with FN's from an IT pro bono / consulting standpoint, through a personal and professional friend who is well entrenched in FN (environmental planning and audit) affairs. Specifically in the past I've worked with the Blood (actually "Kainai") First Nation in Alberta and the Tsilhqot’in here in BC (and BTW my white bread brothers its pronounced SILL-ko-teen, and not CHILL-co-tin....).

Not to minimize at all the horrific impact of the Residential Schools, or the importance of the T&R Commission and its recommended action item/outcomes, but those folks who insist the T&C is the be all to end all of FN priorities and concerns clearly don't work with FN's directly or, I suspect, even indirectly. RFS is being a bit harsh in the post above but in fact he's not that far off....

In my experience the number one issue I hear time and again - firsthand, and not through the Lisa Helps Propaganda Mill - is where do the FN's go after the landmark 2014 Supreme Court ruling granting Aboriginal Title to those ancestral lands that any FN can demonstrate was utilized by them exclusively for living, hunting, fishing, or that had historic control over that territory? Essentially "where do we go in light of that ruling - and how do we get there?" is the question that (rightly) consumes the majority of them. As it should.....

That historic ruling opened the door to a completely new form of FN self government and self determination which I think has flown entirely above the radar of most if not all non-FN Canadians: in essence it represents the opportunity for FN's to benefit from and exploit an altogether new land title structure, different and separate from the Torrens system used by "White" Canada and most other Commonwealth Nations. Moreover and as a consequence it further proffers the possibility for the Tsilhqot’in and others, including the Nuchatlaht First Nation here on VI, to truly create their own self governing independent entity, a 'nation within a nation' and from there an opportunity potentially for unparalleled economic independence and prosperity for their people.

That is what I hear loud and clear direct from those FN people with whom I come into contact; concerns about statues about some long-dead white guy? Not so much, and if and when discussed they come waaaaaaay down the list, the Chrissy Brett's and Lisa Help's of the world notwithstanding.....

To quote from a Toronto Star article (link below), published shortly after that monumental ruling:

“This decision . . . will be a game-changer in terms of the landscape in B.C. and throughout the rest of the country where there is unextinguished aboriginal title*,” said AFN Regional Chief of British Columbia Jody Wilson-Raybould.

*If necessary educate yourself on the criticality of that concept; in the non-FN world in this province "indefeasible title" is one of the key fundamental precepts underpinning our economy where the Province of British Columbia guarantees your title. There are certain exceptions but if none of the exceptions are present, the registered owner, the person with the certificate of indefeasible title, and no one else, is the true owner.

Similarly for FN to now have "unextinguished" title to their land(s) is potentially like having the key to the vault, providing the road-map outlining the path to economic self determination is laid out thoughtfully, with due diligence and with great care. The effort required will be monumental: after all how often does a people these days get an opportunity to create an altogether new nation? Where is the blueprint and what template - if any - exists that can guide us? These are the issues and questions I hear over and over again. Fact is some four years on, although some progress has been made, the Tsilhqot’in do struggle to this day determining what the path forward should look like.

It won't be easy and will take years if not decades to achieve; that said FN's - the Tsilhqot’in being the first out of the gate -  literally have a chance to build a new nation (actually a host of them as each FN would be distinct from the others) as a consequence of that ruling, and IMHO is the very best way for FN peoples to regain their self esteem, pride and above all their confidence and independence.

https://www.thestar....dmark_case.html

Edited by AllseeingEye, 29 August 2018 - 09:29 PM.

• Mike K., LJ, Pam and 3 others like this

#2898 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:11 PM

Another victim of the current mayor and council's insatiable desire to promote illegal drugs. Never mind the concerns about possible organized crime links. Never mind the demise of beloved local businesses. Gotta keep as many folks as possible high.

Huh? The marijuana business in question was denied a business license, fined over $30K, and is being taken to court by the City.

Reopen the sewage issue? Public disagreement with rainbow crosswalks? Don't see this candidate getting far.

#2899 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:27 PM

Municipal governments are specifically called out multiple times in the 88 calls to actions by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada. So they have been tasked with taking action. The CoV is hardly the only municipal government in the country taking action on reconciliation.

Until the Truth and Reconciliation Commission makes it their prime mandate to get rid of the Indian Act, they're irrelevant to the actual process, and simply pandering to the likes of Helps and the idiots who follow her like sheep.

Taking down a statue is pointless bullshit, it means absolutely nothing.

Helps saying it means something - means even less than nothing.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#2900 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 06:17 AM

Congrats Stephen on entering the race for council on the newcouncil slate.

Edited by spanky123, 30 August 2018 - 06:27 AM.

• Nparker, rjag, Hotel Mike and 3 others like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)