Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#2901 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 934 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:05 AM

Congrats Stephen on entering the race for council on the newcouncil slate.

Where's the announcement?

In other news, Sid Tafler's The Record is now online: https://www.victoriarecord.com/

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 30 August 2018 - 10:06 AM.

#2902 Pam

Pam
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:22 AM

Yay Sid! Nice site.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#2903 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:27 AM

...Sid Tafler's The Record is now online: https://www.victoriarecord.com/

No surprises here (development voting record)
voting.JPG

• nerka likes this

#2904 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:29 AM

"You may be upset or overjoyed by bike lanes, angry or pleased at the removal of a statue or maybe you just like (or don’t) the mayor.
I invite you to forget all that for a moment and focus on the one big over-riding issue: development."

The enemy of my enemy is my friend but this guy sucks

• Nparker, lanforod, John M. and 1 other like this

#2905 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:37 AM

voting.JPG

Well, sure, as predicted... but you wouldn't deny the man the chance to highlight his own beef. The value will be how far he takes it in other directions. He's already showing signs of moving beyond the development issue. And god knows there's a smorgasbord of issues relating to the current mayor and council that deserve a much closer look than they've gotten over the past four years.

After years of unquestioning TC coverage and "Golly! I can't believe I'm talking to the actual mayor! Neat!" CFAX Friday afternoon love-ins, I'll take whatever I can get.

Memo to Sid: use some of that gofundme money to contract Russ Francis to write something. A Francis feature on the whole Elsner business... how great would that be? Just saying...

Edited by rmpeers, 30 August 2018 - 10:38 AM.

• rjag, A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#2906 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:38 AM

Tafler also likes to tout his own dubious evidence:

...I did track down some specific, anecdotal evidence of this trend – in a column I wrote in Monday Magazine that identified condo blocks with empty units downtown, in the Songhees and the Humboldt Valley... I pointed out that many units were owned by investors who leave their units vacant. I called the city Condoria, “an empty world of failed housing policies that is turning this city into an enclave of absentee haves and homeless have-nots.” That was ten years ago. Do you think this problem has gotten better or worse in that time?...

For those who are unfamiliar, Tafler used the "scientific method" of walking past buildings and if no lights were on that indicated an absentee-owner vacant condo. Keep this in mind as you read the rest of his "statistics".

#2907 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,839 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:39 AM

is it going to go more in depth?  that was a lot of waiting for nothing.  nobody is going to throw the current council out over building too much housing.

• Nparker likes this

#2908 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:39 AM

...Memo to Sid: use some of that gofundme money to contract Russ Francis to write something. A Francis feature on the whole Elsner business... how great would that be? Just saying...

Tafler would be best served by getting off his "empty condo" soapbox and looking at some of the other issues affecting the CoV during the Helps' tenure.

• Bob Fugger and rmpeers like this

#2909 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:52 AM

https://elect-zmuda.ca/

I AM NOT ASKING MY SUPPORTERS FOR ANY DONATIONS LIKE OTHER CANDIDATES BAGGING TO COVER OUR CITY WITH BIG SIGNS TO VOTE FOR THEM. 

I DON'T HAVE ANY MONEYTO SPEND AS LISA HELPS DESTOYED MY BUSINESS AT 1412 DOUGLAS ST. 

I ONLY ASK MY SUPPORTERS TO SPREAD MY PLATFORM ACROSS THE CITY AND USE SOCIAL MEDIA TO INFORM AS MANY VICTORIANS AS YOU CAN FOR FULL CONSIDERATION AND UNDERSTANDING.

AS WELL AS TO GO TO VOTE THIS TIME TO BELIEVE THAT YOU HAVE A POWER TO MAKE CHANGES IN OUR CITY

https://www.saanichn...e-for-victoria/

#2910 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:19 AM

He's got my vote I always respect an all caps point of view.

• todd and nerka like this

#2911 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:23 AM

...I always respect an all caps point of view.

Random capitalization (i.e. Trump tweets) is THE best.

• todd likes this

#2912 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:29 AM

All due respect to Chris, but I think his business was killed more by his menu than his neighbours. Some of the worst perogies in town, by far.

His platform is...interesting to say the least.

• Baro likes this

#2913 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:31 AM

So it looks like NIMBY's should choose Young, Madoff and Issitt? And turf Helps and Alto?

Edited by nerka, 30 August 2018 - 11:32 AM.

#2914 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:41 AM

I like that I have several options to voice my dismay with bike lanes downtown.  That makes it much more likely that real change is coming.

:thumbsup:

#2915 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 12:43 PM

Statistics Canada shows Victoria is below the average when it comes to absentee home ownership in this country.

More: https://victoria.cit...tistics-canada/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2916 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 12:54 PM

Statistics Canada shows Victoria is below the average when it comes to absentee home ownership in this country...

But does Stats Can use the Tafler Method®?

• Hotel Mike likes this

#2917 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:10 PM

There is one column missing from Sid's report and that is what staff recommended. If someone voted against a proposal that staff recommended against then that is an entirely different situation in my opinion. The reverse is true as well. 

• Mike K. and nerka like this

#2918 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,839 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:24 PM

does staff recommend on rezonings?

#2919 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:29 PM

does staff recommend on rezonings?

Yup.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2920 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:51 PM

There is one column missing from Sid's report and that is what staff recommended. If someone voted against a proposal that staff recommended against then that is an entirely different situation in my opinion. The reverse is true as well. 

Well, that's the thing Tafler's missing. By the time a project gets to council it's been thoroughly examined by neighbours, expert planners and others so that the proponent feels confident his development checks all the boxes. 

I'm not saying the public hearing should be a rubber stamp but after months or years of going through the process at City Hall there should not be any blindsides on that final evening.

So Tafler thinks there should be more "no" votes at the Council table. That would have to mean more flawed projects allowed to go to public hearing instead of being caught and refined at preliminary stages. 

It's like the Tesla plant, right? It should come off the assembly line perfect, if not, it means the system failed and something bad happened back there.

• Nparker and nerka like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users