Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#2961 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 04:22 PM

There remains huge parts of downtown that could absorb much more density. Rock Bay alone could house 20,000 people if density isn't artificially stifled there.

No you are totally right, I was meaning comparatively to adjacent neighbourhoods but in terms of appropriate city building context, downtown is not dense
  • Nparker likes this

#2962 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,862 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 04:33 PM

would anyone mind if rock bay was dense?  since there is nobody really living there now why not spur some growth there.  starting at the smaller cars lots on douglas and dovernment 

• Nparker, rjag and rmpeers like this

#2963 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 04:55 PM

As far as I know the entire new council slate is good on development and will let housing get built.  Far better than Issit and his gang of "progressives"

Yeah I looked at their website too, nothing against development per se but the language is vague and could mean a lot of different things; doesn't seem to be something they're betting their marbles on. So it'd be cool to get a clearer stance/vision on the development process, densification, planning ahead, etc.

Edited by Casual Kev, 31 August 2018 - 04:56 PM.

#2964 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:42 PM

If Saanich and Victoria amalgamate quite a few CoV incumbents would lose their seats

Maybe not... not if they just make it 16 Councillors... Toronto is just stupid.

#2965 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 August 2018 - 11:30 PM

Wow, "not Ben Isitt or one of his cronies" is a really low bar.  If you look at his bio, he's on the exact same career path as Rob Fleming, except far less successful because he's in the wrong town for it (Victoria = NDP hacks > Liberal Party of Canada hacks).  He's never lived anywhere else (as an adult, anyway), did his undergrad at UVic and has "worked" in communications for government in both political and non-political capacities.  He has absolutely ZERO relatable life experience.

Have you seen his website?  The photos are cringe-worthy spectacles of someone who takes himself waaaay too seriously.  He's a politician, first and foremost, who brings to the table nothing more than that - except for his naked self-ambition.  I thought that we needed fewer people like that on Council.

So when it comes to running for Victoria council, a candidate having lived all his-her life in Victoria is a bad thing to you???

I'd call it a major plus, myself.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#2966 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 01 September 2018 - 06:14 AM

So when it comes to running for Victoria council, a candidate having lived all his-her life in Victoria is a bad thing to you???

I'd call it a major plus, myself.

100% disagree. First of all, I’m a huge believer that you need to do your undergrad in a town far enough away from your hometown that you’re forced into self-discovery and more importantly, self-reliance. And secondly, if you don’t experience how others do things or live, how can you possibly have any relative notion that what you believe in or are doing is correct.

Check out Plato’s allegory of the cave. Someone who’s lived here their whole life is just looking at shadows.
  • Greg, nerka, Freedom57 and 1 other like this

#2967 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 06:18 AM

Let me turn your statement on its head: what is it that appeals to you of someone who’s lived here their whole life versus someone who’s moved away and returned or has chosen to live here as an adult?

Assuming you had two equally qualified candidates, one who was born and bred here versus someone who moved here as an adult, what in your eyes makes the former more qualified or more electable than the latter? Don’t forget to show your work.

#2968 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:25 AM

A well travelled idiot is still an idiot. 

• Nparker, Love the rock, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2969 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:55 AM

100% disagree. First of all, I’m a huge believer that you need to do your undergrad in a town far enough away from your hometown that you’re forced into self-discovery and more importantly, self-reliance. And secondly, if you don’t experience how others do things or live, how can you possibly have any relative notion that what you believe in or are doing is correct.

Check out Plato’s allegory of the cave. Someone who’s lived here their whole life is just looking at shadows.

Going to college out of town is a great way to waste a ton of money. When i have kids they will go to local community college or nothing
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#2970 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 10:13 AM

Going to college out of town is a great way to waste a ton of money. When i have kids they will go to local community college or nothing

Unless there is a trade or skill that another institution specializes in or isn't available locally. 

#2971 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 10:28 AM

A well travelled idiot is still an idiot. 

And so is a local idiot.  Which is why I don't understand why the born and bred idiot seems to win out over the well-traveled idiot in this particular scenario.  Again, all things being equally, I'll take the worldlier of the two.

#2972 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 10:30 AM

For their own sakes, I sure hope that they get full-ride scholarships far beyond your myopia.

• Matt R., sdwright.vic and shoeflack like this

#2973 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 10:32 AM

I'd say not being well-traveled is pretty down on the list as to why Isitt is a bad councilor. 

And RFS, I'd at least reconsider your perspective on post-secondary education. Professional/alumni networks tied to the school and the quality of students on campus makes a massive difference. I mean, I wouldn't send my kids to vacation exchanges abroad but I'd be doing them a big disservice if I were to hold them back from going to schools like UBC or Waterloo.

• Bob Fugger likes this

#2974 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 10:36 AM

...all things being equally, I'll take the worldlier of the two [idiots]

...Ben Isitt's interest in world affairs and politics was sparked by a high school history class in which he was one of only two students to argue from the left. A backpacking trip through the United States further influenced him; the grade 12 student saw "glaring poverty." He entered the University of Victoria in 1996 and later became news editor of The Martlet. In a break after his first year, he took a 28-country trip through Europe and the Middle East, including a time working on an Israeli kibbutz...

#2975 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 12:20 PM

You think that Reeve and Isitt are otherwise candidates of equal quality? Wow, ok.

So my argument is obviously rhetorical, sorry if I wasn’t crystal clear about that. It wasn’t meant as a rating exercise of candidates’ travel habits. If I had Reeve the travelled and “born and bred in Gordon Head” Reeve, I’ll take the traveling one. Same with Isitt. IRL, I’m not voting for either one for different reasons.

Edited by Bob Fugger, 01 September 2018 - 12:23 PM.

#2976 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 01:54 PM

Please, somebody, run.

Who wants the job for a pathetic 100k a year, not me!  You sure as heck don't do it for the glory and prestige

#2977 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 02:00 PM

So Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Princeton, etc, etc are all wastes of money?

• Bob Fugger and sdwright.vic like this

#2978 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,862 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 02:25 PM

granted i'm fairly new in town (1999) but i've never seen so much negative towards a mayor.  i think helps is toast as long as there is not a major vote split.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 September 2018 - 02:25 PM.

#2979 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 03:32 PM

Didn't Isitt travel to Russia in order to do research for his book?

• AllseeingEye likes this

#2980 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 03:36 PM

Fascinating piece of research on lawn signs and the effects on voting.

Must read material for insomniacs:

https://alexandercop...Z_lawnsigns.pdf

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users