Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#3561 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:06 AM

One incumbent, so far. I think the other incumbents are pretty respectful people generally who won't take the Isitt approach to campaigning. But yes, one wrong doesn't make a right, and it would be great if we could stay away from that American-style politics of division and false narratives. It doesn't do anyone any favors.

That being said, I don't really think the mayor personally is taking that approach, but rather her biggest fan is, the T-C.

True, why should she say it herself when the TC will just act as her fan club magazine?
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#3562 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:47 AM

https://www.facebook...22437631650995/

the photo is her and rymo odd.

Thank you for this. So help me out here please, I have not seen a Facebook live event as yet. Do I just click on the link above at 7:00 PM and there it is....or do I have to log in?

#3563 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,994 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 09:48 AM

Neighbourhood groups love them and I often wondered what it was that they are trying to accomplish and if there was a better way.

I remember sitting in one in 2014 that was so stacked in favour of one mayoral candidate, I nearly burst out laughing when the moderator asked that candidate a question.

have longer meetings.  at least 20-30 minutes per candidate attending.  then publish a speaking schedule after you have your confirmations.  yes that's not quite a "debate" but then the public can come and go as they choose.

• zoomer and Stephen Andrew like this

#3564 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 11:18 AM

A local newspaper is reporting that Lisa Helps is holding a Facebook Live event today. I can not see any information about this event on her web page.

I am interested in the Facebook Live Platform and would like to watch it from a technical standpoint. If anybody can provide a link and a time I would be very grateful. 

ps I thought she quit Facebook.

she accused facebook (and social media in general i think) of being an echo chamber of negativity and commented something about how using facebook (and social media) effects the brain in a negative way.. so her using facebook now goes against what she stands for and the reasoning for her getting rid of her facebook page..

if she has such a dislike for facebook.. why use facebook as part of your platform.. i'm sure there are other ways to do a streaming interview then through the exact platform you very recently bashed... it could very easily be streamed on her blog for example..

and if facebook is this grand echo chamber for negativity why would she want to communicate with the exact people who use facebook on the facebook platform unless this is just a whole ploy to make herself the victim "social media is mean to me"

• rmpeers likes this

#3565 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 September 2018 - 11:23 AM

Thank you for this. So help me out here please, I have not seen a Facebook live event as yet. Do I just click on the link above at 7:00 PM and there it is....or do I have to log in?

I think you just have to go to her campaign page, which is here: https://www.facebook...pleVotingHelps/

#3566 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 11:36 AM

Roger that. Thank you.

#3567 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 11:48 AM

she accused facebook (and social media in general i think) of being an echo chamber of negativity and commented something about how using facebook (and social media) effects the brain in a negative way.. so her using facebook now goes against what she stands for and the reasoning for her getting rid of her facebook page..

if she has such a dislike for facebook.. why use facebook as part of your platform.. i'm sure there are other ways to do a streaming interview then through the exact platform you very recently bashed... it could very easily be streamed on her blog for example..

and if facebook is this grand echo chamber for negativity why would she want to communicate with the exact people who use facebook on the facebook platform unless this is just a whole ploy to make herself the victim "social media is mean to me"

I sincerely hope that the Mayor's critics will keep their comments objective enough that they won't become fodder for a victim narrative/fundraising campaign.

#3568 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 11:54 AM

Why does Victoria get nearly all the cranks for the whole region? Don't the cranks, fringe/joke candidates know that they can just as well run and be defeated in Langford, Esquimalt, Saanich, or Sidney?

I think it might be because we sometimes elect candidates who voice, um, somewhat non-mainstream views. I don't want to single anyone in particular out, but Camosack, sorry, I mean Victoria does tend to be like that.
  • Nparker likes this

#3569 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:18 PM

I sincerely hope that the Mayor's critics will keep their comments objective enough that they won't become fodder for a victim narrative/fundraising campaign.

She is playing that card in the TC again today. She pointed to an ad on facebook that she claimed was "crossing a line" and then used the conversation with the reporter to discuss her facebook live event.

Anyone can place a facebook ad, even someone who supports Mayor Helps :-)

• Nparker likes this

#3570 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:24 PM

She is playing that card in the TC again today. She pointed to an ad on facebook that she claimed was "crossing a line" and then used the conversation with the reporter to discuss her facebook live event.

Anyone can place a facebook ad, even someone who supports Mayor Helps :-)

Black ops? That crossed my mind too, especially since the topic of criticism was a bit odd and would likely be waaay down the list of typical grievances. But we'll never know, I guess.

Again, a better reporter could have delved more into why would you choose to do a facebook event if facebook is so mean to you.

#3571 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:29 PM

Going to have to fact check you here. In the article, it explicitly makes mention that Helps was not aware of the ad when contacted. In fact, it was a UVic professor (Michael Prince) who stated the ad was crossing a line, not Helps.

#3572 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:38 PM

True. But the confusion is understandable, given that the article reads like a sequel to the Team Helps fundraising article that went out recently.

Great work by the TC's stellar reporters, as always.

#3573 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:56 PM

Going to have to fact check you here. In the article, it explicitly makes mention that Helps was not aware of the ad when contacted. In fact, it was a UVic professor (Michael Prince) who stated the ad was crossing a line, not Helps.

Helps would not acknowledge the ad when contacted, regardless of who placed it. Gives her a reason not to discuss it with the reporter but then focus on the facebook live event.

Yep my mistake on who said "it was crossing a line"

• Jared likes this

#3574 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:16 PM

Helps would not acknowledge the ad when contacted, regardless of who placed it. Gives her a reason not to discuss it with the reporter but then focus on the facebook live event.

Yep my mistake on who said "it was crossing a line"

i could be wrong.. but did i not see a news report on probably chek the other day about the negative facebook posts where they then interviewed helps? where she put her typical spin on it

#3575 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,730 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:28 PM

This link appeared in my Facebook feed just after 12:00 today.

(it's a YouTube link so I am not sure it is going to work)

Edited by Nparker, 18 September 2018 - 01:29 PM.

#3576 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:47 PM

This link appeared in my Facebook feed just after 12:00 today.

(it's a YouTube link so I am not sure it is going to work)

Ooooo baby...took a quick peak at their Facebook page. Wow. If VV is a far right site, then those guys must be three trips around the planet beyond that.

• Nparker likes this

#3577 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,730 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:59 PM

While the FFFA does seem pretty alt-right, that doesn't mean the message in the YouTube video is entirely erroneous.

#3578 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,994 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:31 PM

it looks like most of the video is just cleverly although slightly crudely edited mainstream news reports with little or no additional commentary apart from the captions.

• Nparker likes this

#3579 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,536 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:39 PM

Yup, it looks like clips from newscasts and videos taken during events. I didn’t see any disingenuous editing or anything of the sort.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3580 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:42 PM

It's unfortunate they've branded her as "loony" and such, but many of the issues they raise are legit.
  • Nparker and shoeflack like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users