Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#4121 JimV

JimV
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:05 PM

Looking at Victoria's budget I don't see a lot of money being diverted to so called SJW causes. You can certainly argue some of the spending is frivolous or wasteful but I don't get the SJW

- removing the JAM statue
- building gold plated bike lanes for a small segment of the population
- lower speed limits on city streets (not a direct cost to the city, just for the rest of us)
- the Climate Leadership Plan (a utopian fantasy based on false assumptions)

Not an exhaustive list but these spring to mind at the moment.
  • sdwright.vic and Midnightly like this

#4122 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:38 PM

- lower speed limits on city streets (not a direct cost to the city, just for the rest of us)

There's only one "SJW" cause on your list tho.

• nerka likes this

#4123 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:49 PM

I got a mail-out from CUPE telling me who to vote for, lol. Now I know who I'm NOT going to vote for.

#4124 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,722 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:55 PM

I got a mail-out from CUPE telling me who to vote for, lol. Now I know who I'm NOT going to vote for.

That's exactly how I treat those sort of documents when I receive them.

#4125 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:01 PM

Could you please scan and post it?

#4126 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,956 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:06 PM

i posted it a page back.

#4127 JimV

JimV
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:25 PM

There's only one "SJW" cause on your list tho.

I would say 1,2 and 4 fall directly into that category. Number 3 is a bit more indirect. It is entirely consistent with their world view and is just another example of their obsession with regulating every aspect of our lives.

#4128 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:29 PM

Wheres VHF's 40 plus points, I'm sure there are a few sjw things there! Topaz Park, removal of the chequers building, $20 for each homeless person to consult...

• rmpeers likes this

#4129 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:37 PM

Does anyone have the old CUPE endorsements from past elections? I'm wondering who was bumped to make room for the TogetherVictoria candidates. Was Madoff bumped? I remember her on the library picket line so I'm surprised she's not endorsed.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#4130 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:40 PM

Was it a CUPE local and if so what number?, or was it from CUPE BC?  it will be identified in the e-mail somewhere. And lastly how did you get on an e-mailing list for CUPE if it came from them?

Curious....

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 02 October 2018 - 06:41 PM.

#4131 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:08 PM

add to that plastic bag ban, setting the price to charge for paper bags and reusable bags, with an end game for stores to not offer any "single use" bags other then reusable

talks about straw bans next..

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#4132 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:42 PM

Wheres VHF's 40 plus points, I'm sure there are a few sjw things there! Topaz Park, removal of the chequers building, $20 for each homeless person to consult...

I'm sure if we put our heads together, we could piece together a Greatest Hits collection a la VHF. Hopefully we won't be tainted by association and end up with the VicPD and Mike Geoghegan coming after us...

Here's a lesser item, but a gem nonetheless. Remember the time the Mayor did a good thing and participated in a mock "arrest" with VicPD apprehending her? It was for charity, I believe, Cops for Cancer, and for a brief moment, all was well.

But then it transpired that someone was "triggered" by the photo. So the mayor acted decisively and removed the photo from her Facebook page.

Now, I can't comment on this individual's triggers or previous interactions with law enforcement, but the photo was clearly a lighthearted photo for a good cause. For me, the photo actually triggered a happy, contented feeling.

And it struck me that for the mayor to take it down felt like sort of a slap in the face to both the VicPD and to Cops for Cancer.

I mean, I get triggered (I really do, seriously) every time I pass a Voting Helps sign. Especially post-Elsner report.

But I wouldn't expect the Voting Helps team to take their signs down just because I'm suffering attacks of nausea every time I walk to work.

Bad judgment.

Edited by rmpeers, 02 October 2018 - 09:56 PM.

• Nparker, rjag, LJ and 3 others like this

#4133 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:20 PM

I'm sure if we put our heads together, we could piece together a Greatest Hits collection a la VHF. Hopefully we won't be tainted by association and end up with the VicPD and Mike Geoghegan coming after us...

Here's a lesser item, but a gem nonetheless. Remember the time the Mayor did a good thing and participated in a mock "arrest" with VicPD apprehending her? It was for charity, I believe, Cops for Cancer, and for a brief moment, all was well.

But then it transpired that someone was "triggered" by the photo. So the mayor acted decisively and removed the photo from her Facebook page.

Now, I can't comment on this individual's triggers or previous interactions with law enforcement, but the photo was clearly a lighthearted photo for a good cause. For me, the photo actually triggered a happy, contented feeling.

And it struck me that for the mayor to take it down felt like sort of a slap in the face to both the VicPD and to Cops for Cancer.

I mean, I get triggered (I really do, seriously) every time I pass a Voting Helps sign. Especially post-Elsner report.

But I wouldn't expect the Voting Helps team to take their signs down just because I'm suffering attacks of nausea every time I walk to work.

Bad judgment.

i also get triggered by those voting helps signs.. and the excessiveness of them everywhere i look all 4 corners sometimes multiple on the corners you can't get away from them (dare i say it looks desperate?)

• rmpeers likes this

#4134 Vicrazy

Vicrazy
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:30 PM

I wish they would ban them from public property myself. If someone wants to support a candidate and put a sign on their own lawn that’s fine but it gets ridiculous especially the size of some of them ( yes I’m talking about you Mikey from Saanich).

Edited by Vicrazy, 02 October 2018 - 10:34 PM.

#4135 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:35 PM

Virtually every muni in BC has folks working on climate plans so that is hardly a Victoria thing, nor a "progressive" thing, nor an "SJW" thing. I will virtually guarantee that a Hammond led Victoria will still spend time and money planning for climate change. Bike lanes are being built in cities all over including in the heart of Trump country so a gain not really a special Victoria SJW thing.

My comment to awaiting Juno was specifically re spending. I agree that current mayor and council hold many views that folks here label SJW.  My question was how much that is really costing us.  The JAM statue was pretty much a rounding error in our budget.

• Jared and thundergun like this

#4136 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:44 PM

I wish they would ban them from public property myself. If someone wants to support a candidate and put a sign on their own lawn that’s fine but it gets ridiculous especially the size of some of them ( yes I’m talking about you Mikey from Saanich).

It's surprising how relatively few signs are truly on private property. I was biking around Fairfield and Fernwood on errands this afternoon and counting signs. Especially in Fairfield most signs are between the sidewalk and the street and thus on public property.

More Loveday and Isitt signs than anybody else by far. More Helps than Hammond overall, but of signs that were unambiguously on private property Hammond had a slight edge.

Some odd* bedfellows in signs on lawns.  Young and Isitt,  Isitt and Hammond.  Helps and Hammond (duplex I assume?).  Reeve and Dubow.  Not so odd perhaps as many are not really voting left/right.

#4137 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:50 PM

You’re out to lunch if you in any way think I am conservative.

Conservative is not an insult that you need to defend yourself against.  I would have thought the time is right for some variant of compassionate conservatism in Victoria.

• Jared likes this

#4138 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:34 PM

1."People don't commit armed robbery because they're bad, people rob places because they're desperate." - City of Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps. - October 29, 2015.
2. Refused oath of office
3. Attempt to award no-bid consultant contract for office consultant

4. Johnson Street Bridge escalating costs

5. Crystal Pool - plans paid for but insufficient funding in place
6. Fire Hall delays
7. Sleeping in cars - proposal to allow sleeping in cars 
8. Topaz Park - attempt to set up tent city
9. Atco trailers - suggested workers could sleep in them M-F, and "go home" on weekends
10. Air BnB on Camosun St. - run her own home
11. Seniors boarding the homeless - she suggested that seniors with spare rooms might take in homeless 
12. Temporary structures in Centennial Sq. - "pop-up" whales that cost thousands
13. Temporary structures near Ship Point - more throw-away art that cost millions
14. Ship Point plan - it's poor
15. China trade mission - waste of taxpayer dollars
16. Marijuana dispensaries - thousands spent on enforcement, licensing, by-laws.
17. Poet laureates - the City has a few now
18. Artists in residence - as above
19. Beacon Hill checkerboard - still nothing, decades later
20. Safe injection - two in operations a block apart from one another, one planned for a city-owned city property was rejected by city workers union that refused to work near it.
21. Elsner - cost over $2M? Will we ever know the final bill?
22. Mt. Edwards - low-barriers housing next to school - school has lost 15% of its enrollment 
23. Tent City
24. 844 Johnson
25. Tally Ho
26. Super 8
27. Sewage
28. Gorge boats - still not gone?
29. Musical handrails
30. Centennial Square washrooms
31. Downtown parking
32. Bylaw enforcement - Cody
33. Removal from labour bargaining association
34. Street sleepers and panhandlers 
35. Expanding homeless population with open arms policy
36. Generally lax law enforcement
37. Costly park police wake-up program and lack of fines for violators 
38. Tent City award
39. Unclean streets
40. Inept planning and consultation for bike lanes
42. Plastic bag ban.
43. Sewage treatment fiasco 
44. Street people $20 consulting fee
45. 40kmh speed limits on major arteries
46. Beacon Hill Park street closures
47. Dallas Rd. fencing
48. Unclean streets - Douglas esp. looks like a mess
49. Failed Douglas/Yates street pavement design 
50. Plastic bag ban - tokenism
51. Letter to Putin (which probably infuriated Issit)
52. No visible results from the one-stop business centre 
53. Property tax rates and increases
54. Participatory Budgeting - we should not be looking for more ways to spend taxpayer money, if we have $50,000 extra, lower rates
55. J.A Macdonald and decolonization

56. City Family

57. Police Commissioner evidence of lying to discredit sexual abuse claims for personal/political benefit.

• LJ, A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#4139 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:03 AM

1."People don't commit armed robbery because they're bad, people rob places because they're desperate." - City of Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps. - October 29, 2015.
2. Refused oath of office
3. Attempt to award no-bid consultant contract for office consultant

4. Johnson Street Bridge escalating costs

5. Crystal Pool - plans paid for but insufficient funding in place
6. Fire Hall delays
7. Sleeping in cars - proposal to allow sleeping in cars 
8. Topaz Park - attempt to set up tent city
9. Atco trailers - suggested workers could sleep in them M-F, and "go home" on weekends
10. Air BnB on Camosun St. - run her own home
11. Seniors boarding the homeless - she suggested that seniors with spare rooms might take in homeless 
12. Temporary structures in Centennial Sq. - "pop-up" whales that cost thousands
13. Temporary structures near Ship Point - more throw-away art that cost millions
14. Ship Point plan - it's poor
15. China trade mission - waste of taxpayer dollars
16. Marijuana dispensaries - thousands spent on enforcement, licensing, by-laws.
17. Poet laureates - the City has a few now
18. Artists in residence - as above
19. Beacon Hill checkerboard - still nothing, decades later
20. Safe injection - two in operations a block apart from one another, one planned for a city-owned city property was rejected by city workers union that refused to work near it.
21. Elsner - cost over $2M? Will we ever know the final bill?
22. Mt. Edwards - low-barriers housing next to school - school has lost 15% of its enrollment 
23. Tent City
24. 844 Johnson
25. Tally Ho
26. Super 8
27. Sewage
28. Gorge boats - still not gone?
29. Musical handrails
30. Centennial Square washrooms
31. Downtown parking
32. Bylaw enforcement - Cody
33. Removal from labour bargaining association
34. Street sleepers and panhandlers 
35. Expanding homeless population with open arms policy
36. Generally lax law enforcement
37. Costly park police wake-up program and lack of fines for violators 
38. Tent City award
39. Unclean streets
40. Inept planning and consultation for bike lanes
42. Plastic bag ban.
43. Sewage treatment fiasco 
44. Street people $20 consulting fee
45. 40kmh speed limits on major arteries
46. Beacon Hill Park street closures
47. Dallas Rd. fencing
48. Unclean streets - Douglas esp. looks like a mess
49. Failed Douglas/Yates street pavement design 
50. Plastic bag ban - tokenism
51. Letter to Putin (which probably infuriated Issit)
52. No visible results from the one-stop business centre 
53. Property tax rates and increases
54. Participatory Budgeting - we should not be looking for more ways to spend taxpayer money, if we have $50,000 extra, lower rates
55. J.A Macdonald and decolonization

56. City Family

57. Police Commissioner evidence of lying to discredit sexual abuse claims for personal/political benefit.

good list.. though you got plastic bag ban on there twice (# 42 and 50..though i agree it can't be ignored) can add to it.. setting the price for single use paper bags (which will go up next year to a quarter with the end game to have no "single use" bags) i hear hints of a plastic straw ban next... if she remains in it will probably pushed through

2 trips to china if i remember right (didn't she say she back when running last time she would take no trips to china? and used Fortin's trip to take jabs at him of wasting tax payer money)

Johnson street bridge art priced at what 200k, it was in the budget so it HAD to be done didn't matter if the bridge was wildly over budget already..

#4140 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:30 AM

Tiny home with a $500 rent cap. That one is my favourite. 

• rmpeers likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users