Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#4141 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:05 AM

Don’t forget getting rid of cherry trees because some people are allergic (she has been removing cherry trees and replacing them with non cherry trees but no one has noticed yet).

#4142 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:31 AM

Don’t forget getting rid of cherry trees because some people are allergic (she has been removing cherry trees and replacing them with non cherry trees but no one has noticed yet).

Ya I’m going to need to see a source for this one.

#4143 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:36 AM

Ya I’m going to need to see a source for this one.

https://www.vicnews....lergy-flareups/

https://www.timescol...rers-1.23087202

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 October 2018 - 06:40 AM.

• Tailor likes this

#4144 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:43 AM

That take on it is nonsense and yet another example of spreading misinformation.

The idea made its way to Council by Thornton-Joe via the City's accessibility working group where it was a frequent topic of discussion. Council has an obligation to at least consider recommendations so they tossed it to staff saying, is this feasible and what are the costs. That's how these things should be handled. I haven't heard anything since so likely the idea died.

The City has had a policy of tearing out diseased or weak cherry trees and replacing them with flowering magnolias so that they alternate along the boulevard. This is smart because if one cherry tree is sick, the disease can't spread to adjoining cherry trees.

• Baro, rjag, Jared and 2 others like this

#4145 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:45 AM

^^Thanks for posting those articles. I see Helps isn't even mentioned in them. There are plenty of things to criticize her about without traipsing into Fantasy Gardens.

Edited by Rob Randall, 03 October 2018 - 06:46 AM.

• shoeflack likes this

#4146 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:51 AM

^^Thanks for posting those articles. I see Helps isn't even mentioned in them. There are plenty of things to criticize her about without traipsing into Fantasy Gardens.

Out of curiosity, was there this much flakiness under prior councils? I think if anything the makeup of the current council in a way enabled all the flakiness and like the tent city file, the more it happened the more it was enabled. As Mayor she could have reined it in but she didnt.

• Vicrazy likes this

#4147 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:24 AM

There certainly wasn't this much uproar last election. Pretty much the one and only issue was the freaking bridge; the bridge that is really getting forgotten under all the other muck here.

• Kungsberg likes this

#4148 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:31 AM

Reminder that there is an all-candidates forum tonight (both mayoral & councillor), 5:30 PM - 8:30 PM, James Bay Elementary School gym on Oswego St.

#4149 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:59 AM

All are welcome!

Attached Images

• Councillor Candidate Forum on Housing (8)2.jpg

• Baro likes this

#4150 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 08:00 AM

There certainly wasn't this much uproar last election. Pretty much the one and only issue was the freaking bridge; the bridge that is really getting forgotten under all the other muck here.

The bridge was definitely the focus of the anybody-but-Fortin sentiment, as Helps positions herself in this 2014 ad. 

As to the rest she promised:

- "accountability" 

- "strong local economy"

- "better decisions on spending and projects"

- "reduce red tape"

- "increase common sense" 

- "communicate city business in a clear, transparent and understandable manner"

- "support small business" (didn't she have little flags that said "Lisa Helps loves small business"?)

Attached Images

• Lisa Helps.jpg

#4151 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 08:17 AM

There's lots of bridge to chew on in past issues of Focus.

http://www.focusonvi...f-victoria-r14/

http://www.focusonvi...new-bridge-r14/

http://www.focusonvi...e-elephant-r17/

And the fendering for the north side of the bridge is still in limbo.

#4152 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 08:32 AM

The bridge was definitely the focus of the anybody-but-Fortin sentiment, as Helps positions herself in this 2014 ad.
As to the rest she promised:
- "accountability"
- "strong local economy"
- "better decisions on spending and projects"
- "reduce red tape"
- "increase common sense"
- "communicate city business in a clear, transparent and understandable manner"
- "support small business" (didn't she have little flags that said "Lisa Helps loves small business"?)

Unless you consider illegal pot shops and street dealers to be small businesses, I am not seeing anything there that was legitmately fulfilled. In most cases, she did the opposite of what was promised.

And keep in mind that the arrogant approach of the last 4 years came on the back of an 85-vote victory. How will she behave if she gets an even bigger number this time? What if her amazing social-media-savvy campaign team secures her a 90-vote win? :)
  • Nparker, rjag, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

#4153 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 09:04 AM

Also, let's not forget the insightful comments offered in reference to the courthouse tent city:

Helps: The Province has lots of experience managing campsites.

Isitt: I'm not hearing a public outcry aroumd that camp. This is not actually a major controversy in that community.

And let's not forget the infamous Helps op-ed in which, highlighting her skills as a peacemaker, she made reference to a Facebook post in which someone suggested the solution to homelessness was "to gas people in a Nazi concentration camp."

Out of all the reasoned compassionate voices who raised concerns about the encampment, she picked the most extreme, inflammatory example she could find, essentially characterizing those with concerns as neo-Nazis. Using that reference was a total Trump move. Create division. Marginalize intelligent voices. Paint your critics as crazy extremists.

Pure cynicism.
  • Nparker, pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#4154 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:02 AM

Looks like the People Voting Helps team have updated their facebook policies to remind folks that their opinions don't reflect those of the Mayor's and that the page is also a "safe space free of harassment, stalking, disparagement or bullying". 

They must consider asking questions about policy and correcting erroneous statements as disparaging as they all seem to have disappeared!

#4155 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:14 AM

I'd rather have a candidate with a social conscience, who knows the boundaries of their jurisdiction and is focused on doing a really great job of managing those responsibilities 

Funny, that is exactly how I would describe Ben Isitt and Jeremy Loveday as councillors. They both seem well aware of the boundaries and work hard to manage their responsibilities to the citizens of Victoria.

I got a mail-out from CUPE telling me who to vote for, lol. Now I know who I'm NOT going to vote for.

Actually the flyer shown was from the Victoria Labour Council, which represents a wide variety of unions in the CRD, not just CUPE.

As a member of CUPE and a delegate to the VLC I will be voting for names from that list as they have shown they care about our community and are willing to fight to make it better.

• Baro likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#4156 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:20 AM

As a member of CUPE and a delegate to the VLC I will be voting for names from that list as they have shown they care about our community and are willing to fight to make it better.

With the exception of the incumbents, I took from the list that the others were young and inexperienced and would do as they were told.

#4157 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:21 AM

That's not fair as all candidates care about their community and want to make it better.

The VLC-endorsed candidates are viewed as being union-friendly and likely against public/private partnership projects. That's it.

• Nparker, rjag, lanforod and 3 others like this

#4158 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:27 AM

I'm a union member too ( not CUPE ). I will vote for 0 of those candidates.

• Nparker likes this

#4159 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:34 AM

I'm a union member too ( not CUPE ). I will vote for 0 of those candidates.

Ditto.

• rmpeers likes this

#4160 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:34 AM

Funny, that is exactly how I would describe Ben Isitt and Jeremy Loveday as councillors. They both seem well aware of the boundaries and work hard to manage their responsibilities to the citizens of Victoria.

Actually the flyer shown was from the Victoria Labour Council, which represents a wide variety of unions in the CRD, not just CUPE.

Dont you think there may be the slightest hint of a conflict of interest with these candidates and the VLC? Who does the bargaining? This isnt about the community, its about the VLC

• A Girl is No one likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users