Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#5821 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 02:20 PM

Both of them did. All other councillors and the mayor did not (although I can't recall if Alto did or not).

Everyone except Young and CJT refused to swear allegiance to the Queen?

#5822 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 02:21 PM

I believe so, yes. Their swearing in did not reference the Queen while Young's and T-J's did.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5823 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 November 2018 - 02:25 PM

The recent news about how much we're still spending for Adrienne Clarkson doesn't lend any support to swearing allegiance to the Queen...

• Bernard and todd like this

#5824 Laszlow

Laszlow
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 04:26 PM

Re listening to people. 

I love Henry Ford's quote. “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

Yeah I know he never said it ... but what it means to me:

"If people tell you how to run your business, you go out of business."

Have met Lisa she is a fine studious and organized administrator. But not a leader. Not a lot of strategic thinking and leadership there. And the other folks on the slate were ... well, meh.

#5825 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:20 PM

They are the people wishing for a massive market crash, wishing for those who have things they do not to lose them,

You have just written a perfect description of 2-3 regular posters on HHV!

#5826 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:34 PM

Any day now that bubble will burst. Any day now.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5827 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 11:55 PM

people have been saying that for 10+ years..

#5828 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 04:11 AM

Yup. A lot of people bought into the fearmongering instead of a home and have regretted it since. That’s bred resentment and anger towards those that do own a home.
  • pennymurphy2000 and Cassidy like this

Know it all.

#5829 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:56 AM

Absolutely. I'm over 5 years from buying a house here. Even a bubble pop is unlikely to bring the current value below what it was when I bought.

#5830 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:44 AM

Ask any realtor and they will tell you the market has turned. A unit has been listed in my building recently for 20% less than a comparable one sold for in July

#5831 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:42 AM

This is also a time we’ll start hearing of oddball situations pumped up to be market-wide evidence of doom and gloom.

A comparable unit to one that sold for $365,000 isn’t all that comparable if a couple of months later it’s listed for $300,000 (20% less). Either the realtor is hoping for a bidding war, the seller is desperate to sell or something isn’t quite right.
  • spanky123 and Midnightly like this

Know it all.

#5832 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:13 AM

This is also a time we’ll start hearing of oddball situations pumped up to be market-wide evidence of doom and gloom.

A comparable unit to one that sold for $365,000 isn’t all that comparable if a couple of months later it’s listed for $300,000 (20% less). Either the realtor is hoping for a bidding war, the seller is desperate to sell or something isn’t quite right.

A year ago we were hearing examples of the opposite as well with Chinese buyers offering 2x-3x market value on the spot. You really need to follow the averages to point to a trend. The real estate board in Vancouver reported today that average prices are less than 3% of their peak so things are not changing much despite a huge drop off in sales and the foreign buyers tax..

Edited by spanky123, 02 November 2018 - 10:17 AM.

#5833 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 12:58 PM

A year ago we were hearing examples of the opposite as well with Chinese buyers offering 2x-3x market value on the spot. You really need to follow the averages to point to a trend. The real estate board in Vancouver reported today that average prices are less than 3% of their peak so things are not changing much despite a huge drop off in sales and the foreign buyers tax..

Perhaps it's just me, but if there's one group that stands to benefit from the party continuing, it's the REB; consequently, I'd take all of their statements with a shovel full of salt...

Edited by North Shore, 02 November 2018 - 12:58 PM.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#5834 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 01:09 PM

Perhaps it's just me, but if there's one group that stands to benefit from the party continuing, it's the REB; consequently, I'd take all of their statements with a shovel full of salt...

Much of the data is public now so it would be hard for them to fudge things.

#5835 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 01:15 PM

Last year they had a guest on CFAX who did some research back to the early 1900s and I believe he said that value of real estate in Victoria basically doubles every 10 years on average. I don't think the bubble is ever going to burst. If we survived the downturn of 2008 relatively unscathed, I think the prices are just going to keep going up. It seems like everyone wants to retire here!

#5836 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 01:29 PM

Oh yeah, for sure. I think we need to introduce the sarcasm font after all.

Know it all.

#5837 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 02:43 PM

Last year they had a guest on CFAX who did some research back to the early 1900s and I believe he said that value of real estate in Victoria basically doubles every 10 years on average. I don't think the bubble is ever going to burst. If we survived the downturn of 2008 relatively unscathed, I think the prices are just going to keep going up. It seems like everyone wants to retire here!

if history can repeat itself then just ask people out there what it was like to borrow money in the early 80's when rates were in the high teens.There is very little evidence to suggest we could get back there, but if we got close to 7.5% this town would flat line for a few years for sure. 

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#5838 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:39 PM

Ask any realtor and they will tell you the market has turned.

From crazy back to normal so far. We are still a good way away from a true buyers market.

#5839 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 07:38 AM

Rates are rising in order for the fed to have some wriggle room to lower them when the market turns in 2020. We’re due for a correction and it’ll require some downward rate adjustments come a year or two from now.

Know it all.

#5840 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 08:16 AM

From crazy back to normal so far. We are still a good way away from a true buyers market.

Yeah... if you want to see a true buyer's market, look at a place like Saskatoon. A lot of houses there are basically impossible to sell.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users