Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#1141 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:49 PM

Coreyburger would go apoplectic if knew that I think people should get licensed before reproducing.

Being a parent is THE MOST IMPORTANT JOB YOU WILL EVER HAVE...and many are really bad at it. We expect more from the people who adopt stray cats from the SPCA.

• tedward, A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#1142 Lou_76

Lou_76
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:29 PM

I heard that Shellie Gudgeon will be running for Mayor. The only thing she got done while on Council was reducing the speed limits against the advice of Engineers and public opinion. Since then she's just chased every crisis Mayor Helps has faced and jumped in front of the camera to complain about her. 

• Hotel Mike likes this

#1143 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:31 PM

I heard that Shellie Gudgeon will be running for Mayor. The only thing she got done while on Council was reducing the speed limits against the advice of Engineers and public opinion. Since then she's just chased every crisis Mayor Helps has faced and jumped in front of the camera to complain about her. 

That should get her some votes.

• Nparker likes this

#1144 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:34 PM

I heard that Shellie Gudgeon will be running for Mayor ... she's just chased every crisis Mayor Helps has faced and jumped in front of the camera to complain about her. 

Even so, she'd still get my vote ahead of Helps or Isitt.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#1145 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:41 PM

Not only does it obviously violate Charter rights, it's meaningless--how do you define "qualified"?

The only qualification for public office is open mindedness, intelligence and good old common sense.

This topic reminds me of this: http://nationalpost....joyce-fairbairn

A Liberal senator who attended senate sittings and votes for four months after being found legally incompetent by their physician in 2012.

#1146 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:30 PM

Gudgeon for Mayor did not test well at the VV FB page:

https://www.facebook...7599362/?type=3

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1147 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:42 AM

Gudgeon for Mayor did not test well at the VV FB page:

https://www.facebook...7599362/?type=3

It would depend on who else was running. I would take her over Helps.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#1148 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:10 AM

I have it on good authority that several private organizations currently occupying office space in downtown Victoria and who are searching for new, larger spaces have pushed downtown Victoria off their short lists. They cite issues with parking for their staff and their clients as major impediments.

That being said, other tenants are interested in moving into downtown Victoria, but how it’s playing out is we lose one tenant to another area of town which would have remained and expanded had there not been a parking issue.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1149 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

BREAKING: Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson not seeking re-election

Vancouver's mayor says he will not be running in this year's election. Gregor Robertson announced his decision on social media, saying he's "proud of how Vancouver has become one of the most liveable, green, innovative and prosperous cities in the world."

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1150 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:00 PM

Beyer is on the fence.

http://www.iheartrad...oplay=1.3545689

#1151 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:09 PM

Already has a campaign website(ish) http://www.garybeyer.com/

#1152 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:29 PM

Jesus, Gary--is English your second language?

Next.

• Matt R., Greg, John M. and 2 others like this

#1153 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:38 PM

Jesus, Gary--is English your second language?.

At the very least employ a spell-checker

Capture.JPG

#1154 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:18 PM

A once1 vibrant city that can find a new success by looking to it's2 own roots.

Victoria3 BC4 is a city known world-wide for it's5 charm, history and beauty; yet these are the qualities now eroded in favor6 of buzz word7 politics. Getting back to baiscs8, back to the roots of Victoria BC9 is one way10 to find the path back to that deserved world-wide recognition.

1. Should be a hyphen here. 

2. No apostrophe necessary. Excess apostrophes in this paragraph are its biggest flaw. It's awful. See what I did?

3. Comma here, even if it doesn't sound like there should be one.

4. So glad you mentioned BC--I thought we might be talking about Victoria, Texas.

5. Yep.

6. Should use Canadian spelling here: favour. Personally, I think it's a 20th century affectation but them's the rules.

7. Buzzword is one word. You can hyphenate it if you're want to sound like you're from the 1950s, daddy-o.

8. Ouch.

9, Thanks for the reminder. I was wondering if we wandered off to Victoria, Australia.

10. Or is that two ways? I've lost track.

• Nparker, Coreyburger, Hotel Mike and 8 others like this

#1155 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:04 AM

"Needle warning issued after second incident in Victoria"

http://www.timescolo...oria-1.23141105

I think it would be helpful to hear what actions Mayor Helps plans to keep residents safe?

We have a response from the Island Health’s chief medical health officer Dr. Richard Stanwick stating;

"We really do keep blood-borne diseases like HIV and hepatitis C down by making sure people are using clean needles."

Of course that prompts the question of keeping these diseases down for "who"?  Who does this approach increase the risk of HIV and hepatitis C?  Who authorized this increased risk?

What response does Mayor Helps have?  Does she plan on taking any action and if so....what?  

Should children avoid downtown for the greater good?

#1156 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:05 AM

I don't avoid downtown with my kids, but we might avoid a particular block and a particular golden arch location.  My son has taken lessons at the VCM and I've never had any issues over on Johnson walking with the 3 of them.

• Bingo likes this

#1157 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:22 AM

I don't avoid downtown with my kids, but we might avoid a particular block and a particular golden arch location.  My son has taken lessons at the VCM and I've never had any issues over on Johnson walking with the 3 of them.

Music is a big part of a healthy lifestyle.  :thumbsup:

#1158 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:40 AM

"It's" is one that bugs me. We learned the proper form in grade 5.

#1159 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:48 AM

And what's this bullcrap about Victoria not being as vibrant as it used to be? Was it more vibrant when the Atrium and Hudson Mews and Hudson Walk were a dated old parkade and a couple of weed-strewn vacant lots? Was it more vibrant when the MEC building was a stark, ugly government office building with mirrored windows?

For me, vibrancy always incorporates a certain amount of chaos. When I think of the world's most vibrant cities I recall New York, Amsterdam, Istanbul and Hong Kong. Those are real cities, and they don't always resemble the dreamy tourist brochures. 

Maybe Gary Beyer was searching for a term that described his dream city and "vibrant" was all he could come up with. Perhaps he really meant to say "quaint".

Look, I get it that we are in a homeless crisis. Victoria has been swept by the opium crisis like every other city in the world. We need to deal with it. And I want to hear what other potential candidates have to say about what we can do.

• Coreyburger and jonny like this

#1160 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:59 AM

When I was on CFAX earlier this week the host remarked during the show that Beyer had been sitting in my seat not long before, and how he had said that the sort of real-estate development we were seeing was not a good thing for Victoria. Or something to that effect.

I'm not sure if Mr. Beyer is a candidate who wants to see Victoria prosper and grow, but I can sympathize with the frustrations he is feeling in regards to a multitude of issues that have been front and centre throughout the last term.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users