Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#1161 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:13 AM

Yeah, we're all frustrated but stealing a page out of the Ida Chong playbook won't help.

• Nparker likes this

#1162 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:17 AM

The regional growth strategy is supposed to be updated every five years. The current five-year update has now taken 10 years.

https://www.vicnews....s-for-approval/

Beyer lives in Victoria on the eastern edge of downtown, walks to work, and has owned businesses here downtown for over 20 years.  He's a pretty good candidate in that sense.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 January 2018 - 08:39 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1163 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:33 AM

Some people don’t understand the basic principle of life. You are either growing or dying.... I haven’t seen much in Victoria that is wrong development wise lately. As Rob said there has been some great developments. He is trying to pander to the old folks that don’t like change. Our problems are much more difficult to deal with so no one is going to approach them. Victoria Homeless both helping them and helping the problem to not degrade the general public sphere. Property crime, drug addiction both harm reduction and see above RE public sphere. Parking and bike lanes. We need bike lanes but they aren’t being rolled out quite right so it’s difficult because now there is a backlash. All these issues are not black and white so it’s hard to campaign around them. Oh and we shouldn’t vote for anyone already in office. #nomercy
  • VicHockeyFan, Rob Randall, jonny and 1 other like this

#1164 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:41 AM

The #nomercy movement really does appear to be gaining steam this time around.

Check out this statement on John Luton's career as a councillor straight off the CoV's website:

"John Luton served on Victoria City Council from 2008 to 2001, also sitting on the Victoria Regional Transit Commission and the Victoria Water Commission." - http://www.victoria....rofile 2014.pdf

Luton was a one term councillor from 2008 to 2011.

The Previous Elections page on the CoV's website is also currently blank. Odd.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1165 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:44 AM

2014 mayoral results

Lisa Helps     9,200 sitting councilor (won by 44.5 votes over Fortin)
Dean Fortin    9,111 (-969) incumbent
Ida Chong      3,275
Stephen Andrew 2,380
Robert Duncan    253 
Jason Ross       132
David Shebib      62
Riga Godron       33

2014 councillor results

Benjamin Isitt         14,729 (+6,310) incumbent
Charlayne Thornton-Joe 12,046 (+3,243) incumbent
Marianne Alto          12,016 (+4,523) incumbent
Jeremy Loveday         10,852
Pamela Madoff          10,354 (+3,022) incumbent
Geoff Young             9,934   (+994) incumbent
Margaret Lucas          8,145
Christopher Coleman     8,017 (+1,224) incumbent
Erik Kaye               7,295 (ran in 2005)
John Luton              6,850   (+507)(elected in 2008, lost in 2011) 
Hilary Groos            6,653
Justin Stephenson       5,268
Andrew Reeve            4,336
Steve Filipovic         3,856 (ran for mayor in 2011)
Ian Hoar                3,466
Paul Servos             2,577
Ryan Moen               2,108
Sean Murray             1,897 (+1,170)
Jonathan Carroll        1,739
Jeffrey Olafson         1,693
Gordon MacKinnon        1,334
Saul Andersen           1,183 (+128)
John Stewart            1,107
James Harasymow           764
Referendum

http://victoriavisio...on-results.html

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1166 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:50 AM

44.5 extra votes for Helps?   What's a half vote?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 January 2018 - 08:51 AM.

• Rob Randall likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1167 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:54 AM

44/45

Know it all.

#1168 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:58 AM

And what's this bullcrap about Victoria not being as vibrant as it used to be? Was it more vibrant when the Atrium and Hudson Mews and Hudson Walk were a dated old parkade and a couple of weed-strewn vacant lots? Was it more vibrant when the MEC building was a stark, ugly government office building with mirrored windows?

Perhaps he is simply pandering to this forum in hopes of support. Or he could be trolling VV. Either way it makes VV the center of the political debate. ;)

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#1169 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:35 AM

Perhaps he is simply pandering to this forum in hopes of support.

We are pander-proof.

John Luton is an interesting one. He won in 2008 and lost the following two elections even though he improved his vote count both times.

There's a couple of others that got a glimpse of victory last time that I would expect to try again.

#1170 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:25 AM

Luton I believe is experiencing health issues and is in Vancouver for treatment currently

#1171 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:09 AM

Oh, dear. I did not know that. 

#1172 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

Good Lisa.
https://www.vicnews....y-tax-increase/

I realize this is likey just election year politicking but its still good
  • jonny likes this

#1173 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:59 AM

An entirely new council is not an entirely bad idea - it makes it easier for voters to choose where to make their ballots and improves the odds of non-incumbents being elected.  That said, there are likely more than a few wing-nuts waiting in the wings, and a certain degree of caution is merited.  We need to grow - we need to have things that make the city enjoyable for tourists and residents alike.  Personally, I was sad to see John Vickers go, and I'm a little nervous about the upcoming election as there needs to be a clear alternative to Helps and I'm worried that they'll be 2 or 3 who split the vote just enough.  Can you imagine if Ida Chong or Stephen Andrew had just decided to not run last election how the result would have been different?  That said, I'm pretty sure that there's an overwhelming sentiment that Helps has hurt, and my sense is there's people who don't usually vote in municipal elections who will turn out to vote, if for no other reason than to mark their ballot for someone other than Helps.    

• lanforod and Midnightly like this

#1174 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:03 AM

I, for one, would love to see your name on the ballot Awaiting Juno:)

• shoeflack likes this

#1175 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:34 PM

I understand there were two motions last night from Mr Loveday about studying amalgamation and a single police force. Anyone know he outcome?

#1176 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:01 PM

I understand there were two motions last night from Mr Loveday about studying amalgamation and a single police force. Anyone know he outcome?

It was approved that the Mayor would write letters.

#1177 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:06 PM

On the butt end of the term, the amalgamation issue reappears.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#1178 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:08 PM

On the butt end of the term, the amalgamation issue reappears.

EXACTLY. Mayor Helps could have wrote her letters 3 years ago if she actually was concerned about the issue.

• Nparker and Midnightly like this

#1179 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:10 PM

Wasn’t it her who said that once you’re in power you no longer see yourself as the appropriate person to commit to killing duplicate jobs?

Know it all.

#1180 J_Loveday

J_Loveday
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:46 PM

This is the motion that passed last night:

Subject: Effective and efficient policing and governance in the Capital Region

Background:

In 2014 the City of Victoria held a non-binding referendum on the idea of amalgamation. Residents of Victoria overwhelmingly voted in favour of reducing the number of municipalities in the Greater Victoria area, with 80% of respondents voting affirmatively.

The City of Victoria’s 2015-18 Strategic Plan includes the 2018 outcome “Put a recommendation about amalgamation in front of the public in the 2018 Election” but so far the City hasn’t taken any action towards completing this strategic goal. The Province conducted a study on Regional governance but didn’t directly address the question of amalgamation. Regardless of whether residents are in favour, against, or undecided about amalgamation, a Citizens’ Assembly process would allow residents to explore the benefits and drawbacks of amalgamation as part of a collaborative process. 

There have long been calls for regional policing in the Capital Region. A regional police force could lead to more efficient and effective policing. Conversations between local police chiefs have been occurring and it is time for explorations to occur at the political level as well.

The District of Saanich recently approved motions expressing their receptiveness to the creation of a regional police force and requesting that the Province establish and fund a citizens’ assembly on amalgamation.

Motion:

Be It Resolved That Council call on the Province of British Columbia to establish and fund a Citizens’ Assembly on Amalgamation with interested municipalities from Greater Victoria

And Be It Further Resolved That the City of Victoria remain receptive to any initiatives for the creation of a regional police service and that Council request that the Mayor participate in the discussions initiated by Saanich.

Respectfully submitted,                                         

Councillor Jeremy Loveday                            

Edited by J_Loveday, 12 January 2018 - 06:07 PM.

• Rob Randall likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users