2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#101 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:19 AM

Isitt will run for mayor in 2018, I'm almost sure of it.

Other then that, its hard to pin down other candidates. Lisa Helps could run again, but if to many qualified candidates enter, especially on the left, she risks being squeezed out.

A very likely person (who I'm surprised no one has mentioned here) is Marianne Alto. A lot of NDPers would prefer her (Shes a fairly moderate, average Dipper type, unlike Isitt) and if no one qualified enters on the centre-right, a lot of Liberal/Conservative types would go for her. Less then a year ago I asked her directly if she would run for mayor, and she confirmed that she is thinking about it. With the things I've been hearing from my Lefty-friends, she will be running for mayor.

I hope the business community also puts up a candidate. I've heard rumblings of right-leaning slates being planned (actually two separate ones organizing against each-other) put I'm unsure if either plan to run a candidate for mayor, or just candidates for council. I think the most likely right-leaning people to throw in their hats would be Bruce Carter or Bruce Hallsor. I doubt Chris Coleman will run for mayor as any sort of right-leaning standard bearer, firstly because he doesn't have the organizational capacity to realistically win, and secondly because though a centrist, he tends to lean left more often then right.

Finally, the dark-horse candidates. The most likely type I see with any chance of winning would be a tea-party, anti-tent city lets clean up city hall type. The most likely candidate is Shellie Gudgeon, who despite sitting on council maintains something of an anti-establishment image.

• AndrewReeve and A Girl is No one like this

#102 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:22 AM

Other then that, its hard to pin down other candidates. Lisa Helps could run again, but if to many qualified candidates enter, especially on the left, she risks being squeezed out.

A very likely person (who I'm surprised no one has mentioned here) is Marianne Alto. A lot of NDPers would prefer her (Shes a fairly moderate, average Dipper type, unlike Isitt) and if no one qualified enters on the centre-right, a lot of Liberal/Conservative types would go for her. Less then a year ago I asked her directly if she would run for mayor, and she confirmed that she is thinking about it. With the things I've been hearing from my Lefty-friends, she will be running for mayor.

I hope the business community also puts up a candidate. I've heard rumblings of right-leaning slates being planned (actually two separate ones organizing against each-other) put I'm unsure if either plan to run a candidate for mayor, or just candidates for council. I think the most likely right-leaning people to throw in their hats would be Bruce Carter or Bruce Hallsor. I doubt Chris Coleman will run for mayor as any sort of right-leaning standard bearer, firstly because he doesn't have the organizational capacity to realistically win, and secondly because though a centrist, he tends to lean left more often then right.

Finally, the dark-horse candidates. The most likely type I see with any chance of winning would be a tea-party, anti-tent city lets clean up city hall type. The most likely candidate is Shellie Gudgeon, who despite sitting on council maintains something of an anti-establishment image.

Those are good observations.

Lisa Helps can not win another term.  She we be out of City politics after this term.   

• Nostalgic Victoria and A Girl is No one like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#103 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:26 AM

...Lisa Helps can not win another term.  She we be out of City politics after this term.   

The only thing worse than Lisa Helps getting another term would be Ben Isitt as mayor. That CANNOT be allowed to happen. I'd rather see Victoria blasted into radioactive dust. It would be a quicker and less painful way to die.

Edited by Nparker, 16 July 2016 - 09:02 PM.

• rjag, Nostalgic Victoria, todd and 1 other like this

#104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:39 AM

Gudgeon was not well-liked after the speed limit fiasco, which caught constituents off guard and left the impression that she was getting chummy with Isitt.

That being said she has stated that politics is dirty and people can be extremely petty. I doubt she wants to get back into the ring and seems more suited as a pundit.

Bruce Hallsor is a stand-up gentleman.
  • AndrewReeve likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#105 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:42 AM

But he's been around forever and is associated with the federal conservatives, that's not a positive for lots of people.  Bruce Carter has a better chance.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#106 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:46 AM

What about a Dean Fortin comeback?

• http likes this

#107 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:47 AM

I'm not sure if an ex-chamber boss is the right person for the job, especially since he'll be labelled as a front for businessmen who were once his chamber's members.

Hallsor vs. Carter would yield an advantage for Hallsor regardless of his federal party affiliations. He'd make an amazing mayor.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#108 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:50 AM

Shellie is following a perfect gameplan for someone planning a run for office. She's kept a very high media profile, not only on tent city, but charity work for organizations like Rotary Club, Walk-On (pedestrian advocacy), Veins of Life (derelict boats), and of course the speed limits. She's in the paper every week.

Philippe Lucas was torpedoed in 2011 by the Centennial Square Tent City, Gudgeon has a good chance of getting back into office by harnessing anger on the same topic. But two years is a long time and tent city may be a distant memory by then.

But [Hallsor's] been around forever and is associated with the federal conservatives, that's not a positive for lots of people.  Bruce Carter has a better chance.

Slightly better. He would need to spend the next two years doing what Shellie's doing. He can't coast into a councillor's chair two years after his CofC gig.

• AndrewReeve likes this

#109 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:57 AM

Shellie has always been engaged with various organizations, that's nothing new for her.

She's upset about the boats in the Gorge but she'll soon be living out of her summer home along Shawnigan so we likely won't be hearing much from her.

Know it all.

#110 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:31 AM

I... I love you, man.

• Matt R. likes this
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#111 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:38 AM

VicHockeyFan, on 07 Jun 2016 - 09:46 AM, said:

I... I love you, man.

He'd still be better than a second serving of Helps or a steaming pile of Isitt.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#112 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:45 AM

Another dose of "on time on budget"?

• rjag and thundergun like this

#113 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:34 PM

Gudgeon was not well-liked after the speed limit fiasco, which caught constituents off guard and left the impression that she was getting chummy with Isitt.

That being said she has stated that politics is dirty and people can be extremely petty. I doubt she wants to get back into the ring and seems more suited as a pundit.

Some, apparently, do not agree..https://dogwoodiniti...comes-to-canada

The 2008 SGI election was full of dirty tricks. There were shady 3rd party organizations advertising for Lunn, all being created by Lunn co-campaign chair Bruce Hallsor, as well as fake robocalls on the eve of the vote purporting to be from the NDP riding association asking voters to vote for NDP candidate Julian West, who had withdrawn from the election. The Caller ID displayed on the fake robocalls indicated the fax number of Bill Graham, president of the NDP riding association who denies any involvement.

Edited by North Shore, 07 June 2016 - 12:35 PM.

• Jill likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#114 Dr.Doinglittle

Dr.Doinglittle
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:56 PM

Will be very curious to see if whether Ben risks losing a guaranteed councillor seat for a chance at mayor. It wouldn't be a slam dunk for him.

#115 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:01 PM

The city of Victoria does not have a track record of strong mayors

Or a strong record for police chiefs, but one of them might emerge as a loosing contender.

#116 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:38 PM

Will be very curious to see if whether Ben risks losing a guaranteed councillor seat for a chance at mayor. It wouldn't be a slam dunk for him.

Ben was burned long ago when he tried to reach for the Mayor's chair instead of being content with a council seat. But he is emboldened by being the most popular politician in Victoria history and he may want to leverage that. I don't know if he would compete against Helps, though.

He's too tainted by dirty tricks allegations to be a serious contender at any level. 

If not for faulty Chinese steel, this would have been a possibility.

Edited by Rob Randall, 07 June 2016 - 02:43 PM.

#117 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:10 PM

I am going to be bold and say this: Lisa Helps will run & win in 2018. Incumbents are hard to beat (2014 really was a weird year) & she will get credit for all the new housing, new bike lanes, etc.

• Rob Randall likes this

#118 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:59 PM

I am going to be bold and say this: Lisa Helps will run & win in 2018. Incumbents are hard to beat (2014 really was a weird year) & she will get credit for all the new housing, new bike lanes, etc.

If my theory of a Helps vs. Isitt vs. Alto vs. Gudgeon turns out to be true, then anyone could win (Including David Shebib) but I would definitely put my money on Helps, its the nature of incumbency. And by the way, I would prefer Mayor Shebib to Mayor Isitt. And yes, I'm serious. 

#119 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:47 PM

...And by the way, I would prefer Mayor Shebib to Mayor Isitt. And yes, I'm serious. 

As odd as it sounds I think I would too. :whyme:

#120 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 12:26 PM

I sure hope a strong center candidate or heck even a progressive conservative type run for mayor in the city. Someone who is pragmatic and realizes that governance is about comprise and balance between private and public interests, one who sees the need for economic prosperity in the region and understanding that when we don't prosper economically, we cannot afford projects for the public good.

Another nice to have would be a candidate that both understands the scope of their role and the responsibility of the position. Working with both senior levels of government on issues that are within scope and ignoring political grandstanding on issues that are not within their scope.

Should a candidate that stands for this come forward, I would gladly lend my time and skills to their effort. 

• Nparker, Nostalgic Victoria and A Girl is No one like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users