2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#1181 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:33 PM

Jeremy, why did you and council wait so long to carry the first part of that motion, and why did you wait for someone else to step up first for the second part? Shouldn't the CoV be the driving force in the region pushing for amalgamation?

• Nparker likes this

#1182 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:42 AM

Thanks again Jeremy for taking the time to respond. Your comment is what makes people cynical. One week after the Mayor announces her re-election bid then all of a sudden the issue is relevant again. 

The City of Victoria’s 2015-18 Strategic Plan includes the 2018 outcome “Put a recommendation about amalgamation in front of the public in the 2018 Election” but so far the City hasn’t taken any action towards completing this strategic goal.

• Nparker likes this

#1183 J_Loveday

J_Loveday
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:23 PM

I can't speak to why none of my colleagues brought forward motions on Amalgamation. You'll have to ask them. The timing of my motion has nothing to do with the Mayor's re-election announcement and everything to do with the timeline since 2015 and the recent leadership shown by Saanich.

2015 - City of Victoria requests a study on amalgamation: 

April 2016 - BC Gov. launched Regional Governance study

Throughout the process of the study I pointed out that the study was leaving out the question of amalgamation and advocated for the study to include an exploration of the issue.

August 2017 the Regional Governance Study was released and it failed to even mention amalgamation.

Fall of 2017 I thought a lot about next steps and had meetings to explore ideas.

December 2017 / Jan. 2018 Saanich releases their governance study and passes motions which outline a possible way forward. I watched Saanich closely and submitted my motion the morning after Saanich ratified their motions in order to continue to build momentum.

• Mike K., tedward and thundergun like this

#1184 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:13 PM

Okay. Still seems like a whole lot of waiting for other folks instead of actually doing something... Getting an answer from the province regarding their study including amalgamation or not, and if not, proceeding with your own. This very same motion could have been done years ago.

#1185 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:57 PM

Funny, the CoV apparently didn't feel they had to wait for any other CRD municipality to get on board to implement a plastic bag ban.

#1186 Lou_76

Lou_76
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:30 AM

At least Loveday did something...more than others can say, especially Councillors who've been on Council for ages.

Okay. Still seems like a whole lot of waiting for other folks instead of actually doing something... Getting an answer from the province regarding their study including amalgamation or not, and if not, proceeding with your own. This very same motion could have been done years ago.

#1187 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:01 AM

...more than others can say, especially Councillors who've been on Council for ages.

Self-preservation can be a powerful motivator, or I suppose "unmotivator" in this case.

#1188 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

It’s dissappointing that the $80,000 CISGI Report, led by Fassbender, was buried, hidden, moved about and then not EVEN a soft release to the Victoria tax paying public. It was promised in the fall of 2016.

Does it matter that Fassbender’s career began as a municipal politician? Not sure but he’s not a Provincial one any more.

Although the report avoids any solutions (amalgamation), it does describe enough confusion, inefficiency, duplication to take your breath away. The report is also clear that the kind of strategic planning that creates a more liveable place (think transportation, growth, land use) is not successful here.

Amalgamation, if it’s the right solution, is not a cost savings measure although there may be some short term benefits. Costs in our communities are going up astronomically for many reasons including infrastructure that is deteriorating fast - did our communities save money prudently to replace buildings, pipes, trucks, roads, bridges?

Amalgamation should make governing, communication and planning much easier - meaning a better place to live. Job losses can be managed through attrition as long as its done with discipline - it takes courage to manage resources tightly.
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker, rjag and 4 others like this

#1189 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:47 PM

So where is this report? You've read it, it sounds like. Throw a copy on wikileaks!

#1190 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

Sorry, a little late to this conversation... Assumed Jeremy had already shared it.
I’ll search for an electronic copy and drop it here later today.
  • Nparker likes this

#1191 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:22 PM

In the meantime...
http://www.cscd.gov....inal_Report.pdf
  • J_Loveday likes this

#1192 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:33 PM

Here is the CISGI report - please share it with anyone who might be interested.  

It was disappointingly hard to find after it's quiet (silent) release.  

(It's 8.5 MB so it may not load but I've provided the link in an earlier post.)

• lanforod likes this

#1193 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:16 PM

^ There are a few interesting portions of the report, although it doesn't layout a new governance model (amalgamation or otherwise).  

Interesting to read that the Westshore's growth was always planned;

There is a longstanding regional consensus, dating back to the 1950’s that has been renewed in both the existing and proposed growth strategy that a significant proportion of future growth should occur on the Westshore.  

We did not hear core municipalities or many stakeholders make a case to significantly alter this pattern by substantially increasing the rate of densification in the core municipalities or changing the areas where development is supported.   Indeed, given the strong demand for multiple unit housing in the core it is fair to say that the only constraint on more rapid densification of the core is 
the existing land use policies of the core municipalities. These policies are largely supported by community groups within the core municipalities. 

As a result, while it is possible that stronger planning models or amalgamation would create more pressure on core areas to densify, it is by no means assured.

Also interesting to see a recommendation for control and substantial investment upgrading arterial roads throughout the region.  

#1194 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:31 AM

Councillors Marianne Alto and Geoff Young have confirmed they will be running, while both Jeremy Loveday and Ben Isitt have said it’s likely they will be as well.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1195 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:14 AM

Didn’t Loveday say he was here on VV?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1196 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:18 AM

Didn’t Loveday say he was here on VV?

Yup, IIRC.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 17 January 2018 - 08:23 AM.

• Bingo likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1197 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:22 AM

I've always liked the idea of real time campaign disclosures.

I can also state for the record that I haven't asked for or received any corporate or union donations for the 2018 election.

Oh, hold on, he just said this...

• Bingo likes this

#1198 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:27 AM

Ah, ok.

• Bingo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1199 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:37 AM

spanky123, on 24 Jan 2018 - 10:29 AM, said:

...I thought I read here that Pam was also out...

I haven't heard anything to suggest that after a quarter of a century that Pam Madoff was hanging up her Council hat.

• Cassidy likes this

#1200 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:22 AM

The question is what can be done. While municipal elections in Victoria haven’t been party-based affairs, the fix is usually in.

During the last election campaign, four of the nine councillors received funding from CUPE Local 50. Two raised almost half their cash from the union.

With the introduction of legislation limiting union and corporate contributions to municipal politicians, the role of money becomes less important. But let’s be clear.

Large interests, whether corporate or labour, know who their friends on city council are. And they know how to get out the vote.

In an election in which only a minority of qualified residents will go to the polls, that gives a significant advantage to the favoured sons and daughters of CUPE and its like.

In the 2014 Victoria municipal election, the total number of ballots cast was 24,665, or about 40 per cent of eligible voters. That means 44,959 residents didn’t bother to turn out.

http://www.timescolo...ctic-1.23155621

The opinion piece goes out of its way to say http://www.newcouncil.ca three times.  Interesting.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 January 2018 - 08:23 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users