• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#1481 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:41 PM

And Oak Bay.

Well yes, I guess that's the other easy one too carve off. 

But, View Royal, it's too easy.  North of the TCH goes to Saanich, east of the Colwood strip goes to Esquimalt, and the Strip part goes to Colwood.  So easy!  And nobody would notice.

• rjag and AndrewReeve like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1482 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:48 PM

...But, View Royal, it's too easy.  North of the TCH goes to Saanich, east of the Colwood strip goes to Esquimalt, and the Strip part goes to Colwood.  So easy!  And nobody would notice.

Oh I agree. But when it comes to useless municipalities does anything in the CRD beat the Highlands?

#1483 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:25 PM

Well yes, I guess that's the other easy one too carve off. 

But, View Royal, it's too easy.  North of the TCH goes to Saanich, east of the Colwood strip goes to Esquimalt, and the Strip part goes to Colwood.  So easy!  And nobody would notice.

Exactly, except Mayor Screech....

Oh I agree. But when it comes to useless municipalities does anything in the CRD beat the Highlands?

Oh come on! that's ground zero for tree huggers and compostable toilets....

Edited by rjag, 18 April 2018 - 03:25 PM.

#1484 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:39 PM

And Oak Bay.

Regardless of your opinion on amalgamation, at least Oak Bay is a cohesive, identifiable community of residents. View Royal is literally just a space filler. 

• VicHockeyFan and rjag like this

#1485 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:24 PM

Regardless of your opinion on amalgamation, at least Oak Bay is a cohesive, identifiable community of residents. View Royal is literally just a space filler.

So true

#1486 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:32 PM

6 months to go until the municipal elections.

Who has declared as running in Victoria, as councillor or for mayor, besides Lisa Helps?

#1487 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:33 PM

...Who has declared as running in Victoria...for mayor, besides Lisa Helps?

Alas, no one.  :eek:

#1488 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:37 PM

A clown.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1489 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:40 PM

A clown.

No besides Lisa Helps.  :D

• Wayne likes this

#1490 rsnxmt

rsnxmt
  • 53 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:29 PM

That's essentially why VV was started back in 2006. We exposed the two-faced nature of development in Victoria and put pressure on civic officials to look beyond self-centred NIMBY concerns of various organized groups and stakeholders.

A lot of the development trends that we're seeing today are tied to the efforts early VV'ers put towards changing Victoria's development climate.

how did VV expose the two-faced nature of development? What do you mean by this? Is this summarized somewhere? I'm just curious. How could an online forum create political leverage and have an effect on development decisions?

There's a ton of historical discussion in the forums that is quite daunting and a challenge to follow through especially for new members :confused:

#1491 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:17 PM

How could an online forum create political leverage and have an effect on development decisions?

Our statements made it easier for Councillors to speak out in defense of urbanism.

It's a lot easier for a politically vulnerable person to speak in favour of a project by saying they agree with the thoughts of another person than to be out on a limb all by yourself.

• AndrewReeve likes this

#1492 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:24 PM

Unfortunately his residents are held captive by the traffic running through their municipality. It's a silly game.

It's silly having goofy little municipalities like View Royal!  It should be carved up and alloted along easy-to-see lines of Saanich, Esquimalt and Colwood.

And Oak Bay.

While I agree the babbling brook rock art wall for the Island Highway was the art of nuttiness, and thank god Screech didn't extend the bizarreness to a regional transit system, Victoria doesn't exactly have much of a say when it comes to population....i.e. votes if these municipalities "go away".  Victoria voters will "go away" if Amalgamation is successful.

#1493 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:31 AM

^huh?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1494 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:31 AM

how did VV expose the two-faced nature of development? What do you mean by this? Is this summarized somewhere? I'm just curious. How could an online forum create political leverage and have an effect on development decisions?

There's a ton of historical discussion in the forums that is quite daunting and a challenge to follow through especially for new members :confused:

By writing about it on this forum and providing the public with a different version of events than the one presented by the established media.

We showed there was no controversy where the media said there was and we took our fight directly to City Hall, we wrote letters to council, we bridged the gap between proposals and residents. Without a filter that is media and without the media perpetuating the opinions of councillors with a bias towards development the public very quickly realized what they were being presented in regards to development was oftentimes manipulated information.

Take what happened in the run-up to the 200 Cook project. The campign of misinformation was extreme. If you have the time you can read through that thread and you’ll see how it all played out.
  • Nparker, rjag and rsnxmt like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1495 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:45 AM

By writing about it on this forum and providing the public with a different version of events than the one presented by the established media...

But there is still more work to be done. The "too tall" fear remains among far too many citizens (and more alarmingly, city councilors). "Unique" is still bandied about as though Victoria was the only unique city on the planet. The "hundreds of empty condos must exist because they aren't ablaze with light in the evenings" fallacy even gets brought up on this forum and NIMBYism continues to override rationality when it comes to almost every development proposal. I think VV is as important in 2018 as it ever was.

• rjag and AndrewReeve like this

#1496 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:50 AM

I am so tired of the "we live in an earthquake zone, blah blah".

So does Seattle, all the way down to San Diego. Guess what? Tall buildings for many years and earthquakes. Building are built for them now. It's not like the 1906 San Francisco earthquake anymore.
  • rjag likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1497 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:54 AM

I am so tired of the "we live in an earthquake zone, blah blah"...

The worst part about this argument is that the tall buildings (by local standards) being constructed today are far more likely to withstand an earthquake than many of the short heritage structures.

#1498 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:57 AM

Mayor Helps was on the radio with Mark Brennae on Wednesday.  A caller (actually, I think an emailer) made mention of the poor quality of the street lines (again) and Lisa responded with "send an email to our engineering department with the details of the location of where you feel the lines are bad".

So that reminded me to email her. 

I politely stated that the road markings all around town are an issue at night in the rain.  I politely reminded her that she's mentioned a few times on CFAX that she'll check with the engineering department and report back on a future show and that that's never happened.  I made mention of the fact that the City has made efforts to make things safer for vulnerable road users, but the deteriorating road conditions are making things more dangerous.  I also suggested that if they can't repaint all the lines, that at he very least markings within 50' of intersections should be upgraded. 

I got a response back thanking me for my comments and she CC'd the Assistant Director of Engineering. 

I responded again suggesting that I thought this issue was a council matter, not a engineering one.  I commended council for all the development that's occurred in the last 10 years but has severely impacted the quality of our road markings and driving surface.  I stated that I don't care about the bike lanes, but the complete lack of attention given to safe, comfortable automobile infrastructure has made getting around by car more dangerous. 

Her response:  "Thanks for sharing your perspective"

Now there's a mayor who cares about her residents...

• Nparker, rjag, Midnightly and 1 other like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1499 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:58 AM

I am so tired of the "we live in an earthquake zone, blah blah".

So does Seattle, all the way down to San Diego. Guess what? Tall buildings for many years and earthquakes. Building are built for them now. It's not like the 1906 San Francisco earthquake anymore.

I just hope Gary H is OK in the megathrust.  We need someone to monitor whether the bridge holds up. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1500 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:26 AM

Right, the road issue has been brought up numerous times with the mayor.

Our roads have deteriorated like never before. I do think the rise in heavy truck traffic coming and going from construction sites is a big part of the problem, but for gosh sakes, surely the amount of money entering into the equation should be more than enough to keep our roads maintained to a better standard.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)