2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#1801 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:27 AM

Nope, no gang or drug activity in Langford!

Nope, no crime at all. When you allow Angels into your community, they usually make sure it stays crime free...

oh... except for their crime.
  • sebberry and Bob Fugger like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1802 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:59 AM

Apologies but I don't think you understand the point and it is reflected in your statement "Mayor Helps...". The Mayor is not a dictator, the Mayoral position has next to no special powers so you are speaking like The Mayor has the duty to consult and The Mayor's bike lanes are XYZ. What I am trying to convey is that Council as a whole votes on these matters, not just the Mayor. Council as a whole provides strategic direction to staff by passing a Strategic Plan that says: "Make cycling more safe to all residents". So then staff go around, do research on how to do this and put forward a report to Council saying "build separated bike lanes". Council as a whole then votes to approve or deny staff taking it to the next level of design, costing, and ultimately implementation. 

You may be right that in your experience, you've perceived her to have troubling listening to conflicting opinions but that doesn't matter. If the issue in conflict is ultimately approved or denied, it was done so by Council, not just the Mayor...

Make sense?  :confused:

Of course!

I'm thinking you and I don't see the responsibility of leadership the same way.

And, of course, that's ok too.

#1803 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:39 AM

Mayor= symbol
  • Bob Fugger likes this

#1804 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:38 AM

Mayor= symbol

Yup.

https://en.wikipedia...ager_government

#1805 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 02:34 PM

I suggest you read Robert Bish, an authority on local government governance: http://www.ubcm.ca/a...ia/LGBC-All.pdf

An excerpt: 

The mayor is expected to exercise leadership but, except for some appointment and agenda-setting authority, he or she is for policymaking purposes just another member of council. This is often referred to as a “weak mayor” system, in contrast to a “strong” or executive mayor system, which is common in large municipalities in the United States. With a strong mayor system, the mayor proposes the budget, drafts bylaws, and hires and fires department heads. Council is the body that approves legislation but has no administrative role. Weak mayor systems are common in Canada and in those U.S. municipalities that use the city manager system. It would be unusual in the United States to use a weak mayor system for a city as large and diverse as Vancouver. In such large, heterogeneous cities in the United States, the mayor’s office is often expected to be a major focus for policy setting. This is not the role of a mayor in a weak mayor system.

• Rob Randall and nerka like this

#1806 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 02:49 PM

I think there is little doubt that Victoria employs a weak mayor.  ;)

• rjag, sdwright.vic and rmpeers like this

#1807 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 02:57 PM

^^Its amazing how you think the majority of people are going to see this the way you are going on and on about PPPdev.

To the average person its mayor = symbol unless they are some poli-sci major.

So you can continue to go on and on about what our system is, or accept the way the average person sees it.
  • Stephen James likes this

#1808 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:30 PM

My apologies for thinking this was a free speech venue to discuss different view points.
  • Bob Fugger likes this

#1809 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,175 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:09 PM

Don’t worry, it is. But debating ideas can come with a little bit of muscling. Don’t be concerned over stating your convictions and stick to them.

Remember that for every contributor there are 10-20 readers actively going through the site.
  • Casual Kev likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1810 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:10 PM

I don't think anyone here implied it wasn't?

Is it not still free speech for me to say the above? And you trying to shut me down (or debase me) by the expression of my opinion* is not the what you are accusing me of?

*expressing ones opinion against someone else's is not suppressing free speech. It's called dialogue.

#1811 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:10 PM

Uh....

1) isn't Langford a volunteer fire hall?

2) amalgamation doesn't mean Stu couldn't still be mayor

1) No, it's a mix of paid and volunteer positions

2) You're right, but to try and change the entrenched SJW mentality that is Victoria is probably asking more than what one person can produce.

He's mayor as long as he wants to be in Langford and I'm good with that.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1812 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:12 PM

Nope, no crime at all. When you allow Angels into your community, they usually make sure it stays crime free...

oh... except for their crime.

Their main crime is supplying all of the illegal pot shops in Victoria, there are none in Langford.

#1813 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:16 PM

Yeah, it is just underground still in Langford.

#1814 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:19 PM

^80K votes compared to an equal amount Langford, then the other amalgamated municipalities out ways any Victoria SJW issues

#1815 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:35 PM

Yeah, it is just underground still in Langford.

The way it should be, until it is legal.

#1816 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:07 PM

The way it should be, until it is legal.

So there is crime in Langford then.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#1817 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:36 PM

Stu seems like he'd be a good YIMBY-with-muscle mayor of an amalgamated CRD but municipal politics would change quite a lot. It's hard to project the performance of current politicians, who have to prioritize their turf to keep their jobs. 

And I don't think you can compare criminality between Langford and the CoV. For a family-oriented middle-class suburb to have more criminal blues than the regional core would require every other resident running a hobby meth lab.

#1818 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:52 PM

2.45% tax increase. Mayor for life,

2.45% - Langford = godlike mayoral skilz

2.62% -  Victoria = creeping communism?

• Nparker likes this

#1819 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,175 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:27 AM

4.5-5.0% in 2019. That's no laughing matter.

• AndrewReeve and Midnightly like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1820 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:36 AM

4.5-5.0% in 2019. That's no laughing matter.

No kidding. Look at the quarterly report. On a year over year basis, Victoria revenues are down 5% and expenses up 10%.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users