BUILT
The Wade
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1105 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 2BR + den, junior 1BR, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Wade is a two-building, 102-unit mixed-use condominium and ground floor commercial development spanning th... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Wade on Citified.ca
Photo

The Wade | Condos; commercial | 5 and 4-storeys | Completed - built in 2021

• Please log in to reply
2514 replies to this topic

#2321 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 10:36 AM

their unit came with zero spots, they rent one for one of their cars and the other two are in the visitor parking

Yeah, that's not good. But it can be very lucrative for the strata, and a towing company.

• Moxuz likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2322 Mary_s

Mary_s
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 03:06 PM

Hi guys, 
I have a quick question regarding the fortis account.
I thought the fortis is includes in the strata fee but just realized we have to open the account.
So do we have to pay it by ourselves or is it the tenant's responsibility to open the account like a Hydro?

#2323 scotto203

scotto203
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 03:18 PM

Hi guys, 
I have a quick question regarding the fortis account.
I thought the fortis is includes in the strata fee but just realized we have to open the account.
So do we have to pay it by ourselves or is it the tenant's responsibility to open the account like a Hydro?

Correct, you have to sign up for your own Fortis account and pay for your usage, as every unit has their own individual gas meter. It's a bit annoying as there's a ~$15 charge every month just for having an account, even if you don't use any gas.

#2324 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 03:24 PM

So each suite has its own gas meter in addition to an electricity meter? What a hassle, should have just had it under the whole strata as one account. All the residents are together paying over $18,000 just in account fees.

#2325 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,963 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 03:34 PM

yes but “free” gas or hydro leads to wastage.

look at the unmetered Vancouver area water. it’s nearly double metered users nearby.

2015:

Residential water meters have the potential to cut individual consumption of an increasingly scarce resource nearly in half, and yet few municipalities across British Columbia have introduced universal metering for households.

"Divide up Canadian cities from those that are metered and those that are not: The ones that are metered use about … 40 to 45 per cent less water per person," said Steven Renzetti, an economics professor specializing in water at Brock University.

https://www.theglobe...rticle25816045/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 June 2021 - 03:39 PM.

#2326 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 03:37 PM

Yes, it’s a bit odd. The monthly fee will likely be more than the actual usage cost.

But will every unit actually have to pay the fee? I know every house does, but does that apply to condos?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2327 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 03:42 PM

But there's only so much you can use your gas fireplace before the place gets uncomfortably warm  And kitchen gas use is going to be fairly consistent unless you're operating a Skip The Dishes ghost kitchen. 

I guess there are young people that don't cook at all.

#2328 anonymous456

anonymous456
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 06:45 PM

This is the weatherstripping that I used https://www.amazon.c...duct/B07Z4RNHVK - I added it to the sides and top and may also still do the bottom too.

I found that it helps a decent amount for light and sound, although you'll obviously still get light through the translucent panels without a curtain of some kind, or getting a new door without them.

This is a game changer - thank you thank you!

#2329 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:04 PM

Individual gas meters?  Yikes.  And here I am considering no central hot water to be a deal breaker.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2330 freedom_2008

freedom_2008
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:25 PM

Correct, you have to sign up for your own Fortis account and pay for your usage, as every unit has their own individual gas meter. It's a bit annoying as there's a ~$15 charge every month just for having an account, even if you don't use any gas.

Actually I just set up our gas account with Fortis online.  The $15 seems to be one time only setup fee for a new account, not monthly, and it will show up in the first bill.

If you rent out the unit out, the tenant needs to set his/her own gas account (just like Hydro), and pay the $15 setup fee, unless you include gas in the rent.  

Edited by freedom_2008, 23 June 2021 - 07:26 PM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#2331 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:28 PM

Ok, that’s what I thought. Thank you for confirming.
  • Moxuz likes this

Know it all.

#2332 freedom_2008

freedom_2008
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:34 PM

their unit came with zero spots, they rent one for one of their cars and the other two are in the visitor parking

lol, who has three cars and buys a condo with no parking.

Hey, are these cars a F350, a land yacht Cadillac and a Festiva?

Matt.

It is hard to believe the unit is owner occupied.  Time to notify the owner to let the tenant know that they can't park in visitor spots. 

#2333 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 03:17 PM

It’s owner occupied afaik

#2334 freedom_2008

freedom_2008
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 04:03 PM

It’s owner occupied afaik

That is a "good" start 

• Moxuz likes this

#2335 freedom_2008

freedom_2008
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 June 2021 - 12:52 PM

Just wondering how are the units facing south and west doing in this heat wave, without AC.  Not too bad? 

Thanks. 

Edited by freedom_2008, 27 June 2021 - 01:07 PM.

#2336 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 June 2021 - 02:01 PM

Actually I just set up our gas account with Fortis online. The $15 seems to be one time only setup fee for a new account, not monthly, and it will show up in the first bill.

If you rent out the unit out, the tenant needs to set his/her own gas account (just like Hydro), and pay the $15 setup fee, unless you include gas in the rent.

I hope you’re right. For my SFH fortis account I pay monthly to keep it connected. $11-13 or so per month plus usage.

#2337 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 June 2021 - 02:36 PM

Just wondering how are the units facing south and west doing in this heat wave, without AC. Not too bad?

Thanks.

It’s probably terrible, I have AC and it’s still 22-25c in my unit. South facing. At least that’s 10-13c less than outside..

#2338 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 27 June 2021 - 02:37 PM

When it's 40C outside, if you don't have AC, you're not going to be particularly comfortable in any domicile.

• Moxuz likes this

Know it all.

#2339 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 June 2021 - 04:18 PM

I wonder how well the central AC in a place like the Promontory is keeping up on a day like today.  I'm absolutely loving the thought of moving to a condo where I don't have enough storage for the AC units to live.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2340 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 27 June 2021 - 05:17 PM

Promontory is really comfy, no problem with keeping up. The air handing units on several adjacent buildings do sound like they are ready to take off.
  • sebberry likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users