BUILT
The Wade
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1105 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 2BR + den, junior 1BR, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Wade is a two-building, 102-unit mixed-use condominium and ground floor commercial development spanning th... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Wade on Citified.ca
Photo

The Wade | Condos; commercial | 5 and 4-storeys | Completed - built in 2021

• Please log in to reply
2514 replies to this topic

#2041 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 06:10 PM

Hey now, I have worked at Future shop, the cable comment was in jest.

Moxuz, I ran both dishwashers simultaneously on Rinse for 20 mins without tripping a breaker. Also, not expecting to use all 8 ports simultaneously but if I need to root around in there everytime the wife or kid want to plug into a new data port, I'll go insane. Sadly London drugs had phantom stock so Bezos is going to make more money from me tonight.

Thanks for trying it! I’ll contact the developers support email and ask him about it again

#2042 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 March 2021 - 06:29 PM

There’s this newfangled thing. You should try it. Called WiFi

#2043 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 07:21 PM

^Yeah, only the router is plugged into an ethernet port at our house.

Our bathroom floor is on a programable thermostat, comes on at about 7am and by 8 is a nice toasty 27c.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2044 Birdhouse24

Birdhouse24
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 11:05 PM

Does anyone know the paint brand and colour used on the walls and trim?

#2045 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 March 2021 - 05:52 AM

I have heated bathroom floors in my condo and yes useless..makes hour plus to heat up. I've used them once in two years. You would need to have pretty consistent sleeping pattern/when you wake up so you could program them accordingly.
  • RoadRunner likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#2046 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,324 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 05:55 AM

I have heated bathroom floors in my condo and yes useless..makes hour plus to heat up. I've used them once in two years. You would need to have pretty consistent sleeping pattern/when you wake up so you could program them accordingly.

this might sound crazy.   but why not just leave them on all the time?

Did you know that an electric floor heating system for a small bathroom uses nearly three times less energy than a portable heater? Or that it uses less than half the energy of a single window air conditioning unit? Even when heating an oversized master bathroom, it will still cost you more to run your water heater than your floor heating system.

https://www.warmlyyo...mmon-appliances

A typical electric floor heating element produces 15 watts per square foot. When installed in a small 35 square foot bathroom running a total of 8 hours a day, the system would only use 4.2 kWh per day or 128.1 kWh per month. The national average kWh rate is $0.12. As a result, the cost to operate an electric radiant floor heating system in a bathroom this size would be $0.22 a day or $6.60 a month. By comparison, it costs about $34.10 a month to run a window air conditioner and $36.50 a month to run a portable heater

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 March 2021 - 05:59 AM.

#2047 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 March 2021 - 07:09 AM

That's a dumb article....it would cost way more than that.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#2048 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,324 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 07:15 AM

https://www.warmfloo...ost-to-operate/

https://www.nuheat.c...cost-calculator

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 March 2021 - 07:17 AM.

#2049 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 March 2021 - 07:56 AM

I do leave my kitchen floor heating on all the time.  It's the difference between having to put socks on in the morning or not. 

https://youtu.be/MNeN17blNHI  <- Temp difference heated to unheated (my kitchen)

In fact, I'll just go ahead and get you to adjust my listing search to only show those with heated kitchen floors. :D

I don't know why people put it in the bathroom and not the kitchen.  Seems totally backwards to me.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2050 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 March 2021 - 08:03 AM

There’s this newfangled thing. You should try it. Called WiFi

You have set up WiFi on a TV, right?  

Up, up, up, Enter; left, left, left, left, left, left, Enter; down, down down down, Enter....  15 minutes later - Incorrect password.

I don't think my Synology has built in WiFi either.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#2051 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,324 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 08:09 AM

I do leave my kitchen floor heating on all the time.  It's the difference between having to put socks on in the morning or not. 

https://youtu.be/MNeN17blNHI  <- Temp difference heated to unheated (my kitchen)

In fact, I'll just go ahead and get you to adjust my listing search to only show those with heated kitchen floors. :D

I don't know why people put it in the bathroom and not the kitchen.  Seems totally backwards to me.  

the thinking is that you are much more likely to have bare feet in the bathroom than any other part of the home.  same reason i use the splatter-proof bacon grease only when i'm cooking in the bathroom.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 March 2021 - 08:10 AM.

#2052 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 08:18 AM

...same reason i use the splatter-proof bacon grease only when i'm cooking in the bathroom.

If you cook your bacon on parchment paper in your bathroom oven you won't have to worry about splattering.

#2053 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 March 2021 - 08:20 AM

the thinking is that you are much more likely to have bare feet in the bathroom than any other part of the home.  same reason i use the splatter-proof bacon grease only when i'm cooking in the bathroom.

Even with socks unheated kitchen tile is cold.  And kitchens are gathering places, unlike bathrooms (that only happens in movies)

#2054 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,324 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 08:29 AM

If you cook your bacon on parchment paper in your bathroom oven you won't have to worry about splattering.

obviously i don't have an oven in my bathroom.

i have a 6-burner gas cooktop.

#2055 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 08:32 AM

And a wet fridge!
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2056 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 March 2021 - 08:38 AM

obviously i don't have an oven in my bathroom.

i have a 6-burner gas cooktop.

It almost wouldn't surprise me.  I mean, we do put hot water tanks in each unit these days, why not cook in the bathroom?

#2057 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 March 2021 - 09:19 AM

You have set up WiFi on a TV, right?  

Up, up, up, Enter; left, left, left, left, left, left, Enter; down, down down down, Enter....  15 minutes later - Incorrect password.

I don't think my Synology has built in WiFi either.  

Yes, i have. It's a one time thing, and change once a year or so. Meh.

Synology can sit beside the Telus hub with a short cable. Easy enough.

Mind you I do have some Cat6 i ran in my place, but mainly to setup the main AP where I really want it. 12 devices or so, 4 are on Ethernet, only 1 really needs to be (Ethernet is a little more stable, but not noticably so, and you typically won't saturate the bandwidth for wifi anymore so speed is not a real issue).

#2058 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 02:54 PM

Thanks everyone, for all the networky info and pic.

I'll pick up an 8-10 port switch and connect it to the Telus box, I think that will solve it.

Time to spend a small fortune on nine cat6 cables.

Modem -> Router (if you use a non-ISP unit) -> switch (if you need one) -> patch panel

If the ISP unit or router provides enough outgoing ports (usually four) then you can just go from that straight to the patch panel. If you need more connections than what the modem or router provides, then you need a switch in between.

CAT6 cables aren't expensive. Memory Express has plenty e.g. https://www.memoryex...roducts/MX10535, though you can also get similar from Amazon. You'll want short ones for inside the network closet.

• Birdhouse24 likes this

#2059 phx

phx
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 03:38 PM

this might sound crazy.   but why not just leave them on all the time?

​If you’ve got a thermostat for the floor, then yes, why not keep the floor heated all the time?

As to the cost, the heat from the floor replaces some of the heating that would otherwise be required.

If you have electric baseboards, the heated floors are then “free” as there is no extra cost.

#2060 anonymous456

anonymous456
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 06:22 PM

I'm hoping to do a few touch ups to the walls and ceilings and wanted to get a hold of the paint colours they used.  I haven't heard back from West Water for a colour match - does anyone here have any suggestions?

I know they can match in the store but they typically need a toonie sized piece of wall and I'm not wanting to take that off!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users