BUILT
The Wade
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1105 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 2BR + den, junior 1BR, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Wade is a two-building, 102-unit mixed-use condominium and ground floor commercial development spanning th... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Wade on Citified.ca
Photo

The Wade | Condos; commercial | 5 and 4-storeys | Completed - built in 2021

• Please log in to reply
2514 replies to this topic

#381 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:06 AM

Ok, I see. I just thought the wording was quirky.

If the experience from The Falls is any measure, we should expect a Worksafe report on the Johnson Street sidewalk collapse about a year from now. You will recall in that case, the contractor ignored or didn't notice signs the Burdett sidewalk was showing signs of weakness and failed to notify Ryzuk Geotechnical or anyone else.

#382 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:20 PM

The article also includes an update regarding the shoring along the southern perimeter of the site.

All gone: The Wade condominium development celebrates sold-out status as construction ramps up

https://victoria.cit...ction-ramps-up/

Downtown Victoria’s mixed-use The Wade condominium and ground floor commercial development is the latest project to celebrate sold-out status.

Rising on a one-acre site spanning the 1400-block of Cook Street between Pandora Avenue and Johnson Street, the two-building, five and four-storey all-concrete low-rise will consist of 102 residences and approximately 24,000 square feet of ground floor retail frontage.

The Wade encompasses a full restoration of the five-storey 1950’s-era Medical Arts Building – designed by renowned architects John Howard Wade and Dexter Stockdill – together with a four-storey extension to the east and a new-build four-storey lowrise along Cook and Johnson streets. [Full article]

• Kapten Kapsell likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#383 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:44 PM

The developer can predict a completion date but it seems weird to declare a legal occupation date. For one thing, I've never heard a developer say that, for another thing, it's not up to them to declare anything legal, for another thing, hardly any buildings are completed on time so you're just going to get your buyers riled up by carving dates in stone.

Perhaps they are hinting that legally purchasers can not move in until ????, but wink/nod you may be able to illegally start moving in before that date.

I know there are no end of houses that do not as yet have occupancy permits but people are living in them.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#384 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:01 PM

...I know there are no end of houses that do not as yet have occupancy permits but people are living in them.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall that when my property was undergoing leaky condo remediation (2004-05) we weren't issued an "occupancy permit" by the CoV until the job was finished, at least 16 months after the work was started. 90% of the units were occupied through the entire process.

#385 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:32 PM

^there is no occupancy permit for leaky condos. Once the building receives its occupancy permit, it doesn't get taken away.  The vast majority of homes built in this town were built long before there was occupancy permits issued

Even then, the City can't legally kick you out of your own home for living in a house under construction.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#386 CitoyenduMonde

CitoyenduMonde
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:42 AM

^there is no occupancy permit for leaky condos. Once the building receives its occupancy permit, it doesn't get taken away.  The vast majority of homes built in this town were built long before there was occupancy permits issued

Even then, the City can't legally kick you out of your own home for living in a house under construction.

I don't know if the same holds true in BC, but in most places, you cannot get a mortgage without an occupancy permit.

#387 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:02 PM

^I don't see that happening because if you bought a house in say 1965 that house never had an occupancy permit issued.

I know when building your own house the bank only cares about percentage complete and not getting occupancy to finalize your mortgage and transfer from a higher rate construction mortgage to a lower rate regular mortgage

#388 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:30 PM

Can you imagine what unutilised potential Harris Green park along Pandora ave has?? These pictures are of Paseo de Recoletas in Madrid, Spain. Along the greenway in the centre of the street, they have fountains, beautiful walkways shaded by trees, and built in mini cafes where you can also sit and purchase a nice glass of wine or a cup of coffee.

With all the development and revitalisation of this neighbourhood how could we not create something similar in Victoria? I picture a fountain running along each strip entirely of each greenway on Pandora.

Homeowners and residents of each building (Bluesky, the Wade, V1488, 926-932 Pandora etc.) can come out and mingle in a safe public environment!

Attached Images

• Paseo_de_Recoletos_(Madrid)_(4691303651).jpg
  • MAdrid terraza.jpg
  • Madrid.jpg

Edited by Promontory Kingpin, 29 January 2018 - 09:37 PM.

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#389 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:01 PM

Can you imagine what unutilised potential Harris Green park along Pandora ave has??

Agreed, the area could be so much more than it is now.

#390 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:11 AM

That's what I want to see Government street turned into.

• johnk likes this

#391 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:45 AM

Homeowners and residents of each building (Bluesky, the Wade, V1488, 926-932 Pandora etc.) can come out and mingle in a safe public environment!

And the homeless can bathe without having to wait for a shower space at Our Place.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#392 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:10 AM

^exactly what I was going to say.  A lovely stroll down the parkway to see the homeless tenters, fresh laundry washed in the artificial streams hanging out to dry on the ropes strung between trees while several people have a bath or urinate in the waterway.   Lovely image because that is reality

Meanwhile I can confirm it was the watermain break that caused the shoring collapse.  CoV taxpayers are in for a huge bill

#393 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:17 AM

I think it's insurers that cover the bill, isn't it?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#394 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:30 AM

But yeah, the developers said that was the cause:

“The rupture of a water main alongside our south perimeter made for some excitement several weeks ago, but together with the City of Victoria we are working towards finalizing the clean-up. The good news is our construction schedule has not been impacted by the issue and this will actually allow us to immediately start construction of the parkade wall in lieu of re-shoring the site,” Tomaszewski said. - https://victoria.cit...ction-ramps-up/

Right now the issue rests with the City and adjusters.

Know it all.

#395 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:49 AM

The excavation did not trigger the water main break in any way? It was pure co-incidence they were so close together?

#396 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:53 PM

I think it's insurers that cover the bill, isn't it?

yes true, but as soon as you make a claim your insurance rates go up

I hadn't read that article so I wasn't aware you knew

#397 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

yes true, but as soon as you make a claim your insurance rates go up

For you and me, maybe, but for a city? The City makes claims every week.

#398 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 230 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:50 PM

But yeah, the developers said that was the cause:

“The rupture of a water main alongside our south perimeter made for some excitement several weeks ago, but together with the City of Victoria we are working towards finalizing the clean-up. The good news is our construction schedule has not been impacted by the issue and this will actually allow us to immediately start construction of the parkade wall in lieu of re-shoring the site,” Tomaszewski said. - https://victoria.cit...ction-ramps-up/

Right now the issue rests with the City and adjusters.

The construction schedule has been impacted. When they were selling units they originally said that completion was going to be in December 2018. Now they've sent out an email to everyone saying it will be May 31, 2019.

#399 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:49 PM

For you and me, maybe, but for a city? The City makes claims every week.

I am sure their deductible is very high so only a few claims go against their insurance

#400 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:56 PM

The construction schedule has been impacted. When they were selling units they originally said that completion was going to be in December 2018. Now they've sent out an email to everyone saying it will be May 31, 2019.

Well, the labour market and equipment shortages have caused delays at almost every project.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 30 January 2018 - 04:56 PM.

• Promontory Kingpin likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users