BUILT
The Wade
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1105 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 2BR + den, junior 1BR, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Wade is a two-building, 102-unit mixed-use condominium and ground floor commercial development spanning th... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Wade on Citified.ca
Photo

The Wade | Condos; commercial | 5 and 4-storeys | Completed - built in 2021

• Please log in to reply
2514 replies to this topic

#901 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 10:57 AM

I can probably swing by sometime this week...

Looks like the critics were wrong when they said those Tarzan-style vine lanes wouldn't get used.

• scotto203, CitoyenduMonde, Brantastic and 1 other like this

#902 CitoyenduMonde

CitoyenduMonde
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:28 PM

According to the latest update from the developer, the crane is supposed to be coming down today.

I went by yesterday evening and the crane was still there. It honestly didn't look like anything had been done in the last week.

#903 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:39 PM

A Wade update from the developer that stated an action to be completed by a date that has since passed? This can’t be...

#904 scotto203

scotto203
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:40 PM

I went by yesterday evening and the crane was still there. It honestly didn't look like anything had been done in the last week.

The update letter said they were dependent on BC Hydro removing a power line in order for the crane to be removed, so maybe that didn't end up happening?

Also, we require B.C. Hydro to remove a power line that crosses Cook Street so that we are able to take our construction crane down. B.C. Hydro has now scheduled this work for July 6.

That or maybe I misunderstood this and they'll be removing the crane later.

Edited by scotto203, 07 July 2020 - 07:43 PM.

#905 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:54 PM

The developers said in order to remove the crane hydro would have to remove a (overhead, presumably) line, which they had scheduled for the 6th. When the actual crane will come down is not something they communicated.

In addition, due to the Covid‐19 pandemic we are all facing, B.C. Hydro delayed our original hydro connection date and we only were connected to our unit sub‐station in late May. Also, we require B.C. Hydro to remove a power line that crosses Cook Street so that we are able to take our construction crane down. B.C. Hydro has now scheduled this work for July 6.

• scotto203 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#906 scotto203

scotto203
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:56 PM

The developers said in order to remove the crane hydro would have to remove a (overhead, presumably) line, which they had scheduled for the 6th. When the actual crane will come down is not something they communicated.

Yeah I misread that and incorrectly assumed the crane would start coming down the same day.

#907 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:50 AM

Any crane progress?

#908 CitoyenduMonde

CitoyenduMonde
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:37 AM

Any crane progress?

Still there yesterday afternoon with no visible work being done anywhere on the building site.

#909 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:45 AM

Are we sure? There’s a ton of work going on in the north building. The crane might still be around for a few weeks, for all we know.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#910 CitoyenduMonde

CitoyenduMonde
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:20 AM

Are we sure? There’s a ton of work going on in the north building. The crane might still be around for a few weeks, for all we know.

I went by at about 2:30 yesterday afternoon and not a soul was moving that I could tell from the street. They were perhaps there earlier in the day but nothing was happening when I went by. The north building façade has had work done in the last week and quite likely they have done things internally but it was not happening yesterday afternoon. If they hope to have the first occupancy in late July for teh north building, I would expect that they need to remove teh crane first for simple safety reasons. They also need to finish the courtyard area and Johnson street façade to allow access to the parking structure, which is exclusively accessible from Johnson.

#911 scotto203

scotto203
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:51 AM

July 11th.

As CitoyenduMonde said, the crane hasn't come down yet. There seems to be some new window frames on the South building since the last time I went by, but there's still glazing that needs to be installed. I imagine there's still a lot of work being done on the interior of the North building, but it's obviously hard to gauge progress from the outside. It did look like kitchen sinks had been installed in a few of the units.

IMG_20200711_101151.jpg IMG_20200711_101221.jpg IMG_20200711_101252.jpg IMG_20200711_101253.jpg IMG_20200711_101334.jpg IMG_20200711_101511.jpg IMG_20200711_101606.jpg IMG_20200711_101658.jpg IMG_20200711_101700.jpg IMG_20200711_101745.jpg IMG_20200711_101810.jpg

• kitty surprise likes this

#912 scotto203

scotto203
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:54 AM

They also need to finish the courtyard area and Johnson street façade to allow access to the parking structure, which is exclusively accessible from Johnson.

In the most recent developer update, they mentioned that they were blocked from progressing further on the courtyard work until more glazing has been installed on the South building:

As you know from previous communications, our glazing supply has been a major cause of our delay in construction. The building cannot be drywalled until the glazing is completed and because of this delay, the SOUTH building, as of today, is still missing some aluminum frames to the curtain wall structure and some glass panels. 

Compounding this problem, we are unable to complete the work in our courtyard until the glazing is completed as our only access is from the courtyard area. We have progressed with the courtyard work as far as we can until the equipment is removed from the site.

This update was sent out on June 26th so I'm not sure what the current situation is.

#913 CitoyenduMonde

CitoyenduMonde
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 01:52 AM

Went by earlier today and the worksite was a beehive of activity. In the north building (old building), you can see that they have delivered the washer/dryers to the individual apartments but they are still not located in their definitive space. From the ground it looks like all the remaining work has been completed. There is however no possible way that they will be ready for a July occupancy as promised last month. The crane is still up, there is no access to the garage and the north building is still not complete. My guess is that it will be end of August before it is ready. They have however completed some landscaping in the courtyard and the Reynoboard looks very classy when they remove the protective film, both for the white as well as the black. the window trim on teh north building seems to be complete everywhere, but there are still some balconies on the courtyard side that are missing a panel or panels. For some odd reason the doors leading to the balconies hovered coloured door handles. An odd choice and would not have been my first choice.

In teh South (new) building, they are considerably behind. You can see from the ground floor that they have not done any sheet rocking yet. The metal studs can be seen from the ground throughout, meaning that they still need to sheetrock, put in the flooring, the kitchen, the baths and all the appliances. The doors leading to the balconies on the outside on the side opposite Cook are sliding doors as opposed to all the others that are traditional doors. I take that this is because the balconies are too narrow to have a traditional door. There is still quite a bit of window trim missing from the Johnson street and Cook street window framing. They have started installing the balconies. It is now possible to clearly see the bridge between the two building from below.

Attached Images

• Cook:Johnson corner.JPG
  • Courtyard landscaping.JPG
  • Inside courtyard.JPG
  • Internal side.JPG
  • Johnson street.JPG
  • Johnson:Cook corner.JPG

• kitty surprise and scotto203 like this

#914 CitoyenduMonde

CitoyenduMonde
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 01:53 AM

more photos from today

Attached Images

• No inside work started.JPG
  • Pandora balcony.JPG
  • Red door handle.JPG
  • Rooftop bridge.JPG
  • Sliding door.JPG

• m3m, Promontory Kingpin and Casual Kev like this

#915 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 05:52 AM

Thanks for the photos and updates! Looking at the Johnson Street photos, is it me or do the balconies look smaller than the 5' x 9' from the floor plan specs?

Edited by kitty surprise, 22 July 2020 - 05:53 AM.

#916 CitoyenduMonde

CitoyenduMonde
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for the photos and updates! Looking at the Johnson Street photos, is it me or do the balconies look smaller than the 5' x 9' from the floor plan specs?

The balconies in the last photo are on the side opposite Cook street on the internal side of the complex, without street view. They are most definitely smaller than 5' x 9'. The ones on Johnson seem to be the same size as on all the other sides, whatever size that is.

#917 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 July 2020 - 01:09 PM

I don't understand why balconies in general are so small.  I've seen some as little as 2' deep. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#918 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 01:21 PM

Less is more?

#919 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 01:24 PM

I suppose it's possible to take that philosophy a bit too far.

#920 scotto203

scotto203
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 05:05 PM

It looks like drywall is finally being installed in the south building, I saw a bunch of units on the second floor with it. You can also see a piece set against the window of the third floor unit.

IMG_20200723_165619.jpg

Edited by scotto203, 23 July 2020 - 05:07 PM.

• Promontory Kingpin likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)