BUILT
The Wade
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1105 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 2BR + den, junior 1BR, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Wade is a two-building, 102-unit mixed-use condominium and ground floor commercial development spanning th... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Wade on Citified.ca
Photo

The Wade | Condos; commercial | 5 and 4-storeys | Completed - built in 2021

• Please log in to reply
2514 replies to this topic

#1721 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 04:28 PM

The carpenter who happened to stop by just now let me know there probably isn’t anything that can be done if it continues being an issue but I could talk to the developer of possibly more insulation? Probably not easy to re-do a wall so hopefully it’s not an issue and I posted here too early 🤦‍♂️

#1722 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 04:28 PM

i send my tinder dates home by 11:30pm.

why would i want them around at 2am?

Wow way past *my* bed time

#1723 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 04:33 PM

That's dissapointing, and certainly unexpected. I feel for you Moxuz.

My share of apartments and condos has been hit or miss. Of course the time I lived in one of the 60s/70s 4 story boxes which are all around town was particularly noisy.

I'm happy to say my townhouse exceeded my expectations in thay regard, the unit next to us is a family with a 3 and 5 year old and we never hear them.

Edited by Mattjvd, 19 February 2021 - 05:00 PM.

• Moxuz likes this

#1724 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 04:42 PM

The carpenter who happened to stop by just now let me know there probably isn’t anything that can be done if it continues being an issue but I could talk to the developer of possibly more insulation? Probably not easy to re-do a wall so hopefully it’s not an issue and I posted here too early ‍♂

just packing more insulation in is often/mostly not the solution.  you have to disrupt the sound waves.  

• sebberry likes this

#1725 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 04:44 PM

just packing more insulation in is often/mostly not the solution. you have to disrupt the sound waves.

Ah i see. I wonder how well that noise isolation foam for walls work. Could just get some in white. I think those have triangles in them so they would need to be on the side the noise is coming from..

Edited by Moxuz, 19 February 2021 - 04:45 PM.

#1726 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 04:48 PM

Air is the optimal barrier. Sound will even travel through concrete but an air pocket deadens sound. 

• Moxuz likes this

#1727 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 04:51 PM

different material of differing vibration characteristics is best.  so air yes, but then thick buffalo board followed by lighter insulation.  thick drywall and thin drywall separated by just 2" inches is better than two pieces of the same drywall thickness.

and then of course different types of sound have different travel characteristics too.

you might find some hints from how they soundproof office cubicles.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 February 2021 - 04:54 PM.

• Moxuz likes this

#1728 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 February 2021 - 05:19 PM

Lots of good info here: https://www.soundpro...dproofing-walls

Not only is it annoying to hear your neighbors, it's also a gross invasion of your privacy knowing that your activities are heard by your neighbors.  It's for this reason my tinder dates... oh who am I kidding.  What's a tinder date? 

The National Building Code does stipulate a certain level of noise reduction between suites - if it's a problem moving forward, you'll have every right pressuring the strata to bring in an acoustical engineer to confirm the wall assembly is performing to code. 

• Matt R., grantpalin, Moxuz and 2 others like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1729 n_eclipse

n_eclipse
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 05:20 PM

Replace the insulation with RockWool, that would make a difference. Other condo projects have used that in the past.

• lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this

#1730 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 05:21 PM

You should also check out the material that they use for professional sound studios.

But first wait to see if this is an ongoing problem. Pray that no one is fond of bagpipes. Just dont get upset yet.

• Nparker and Moxuz like this

#1731 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 February 2021 - 05:26 PM

Replace the insulation with RockWool, that would make a difference. Other condo projects have used that in the past.

$ for $ you're probably better off with pink fiberglass and spacing the drywall off the studs using hat channels on RSIC clips.  Seriously, this stuff should be standard in new construction...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#1732 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 February 2021 - 05:27 PM

Poor guy, we're already talking about how to re-engineer the walls in his brand new condo :(

• lanforod, Moxuz and Victoria Watcher like this

#1733 n_eclipse

n_eclipse
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 05:56 PM

$ for $ you're probably better off with pink fiberglass and spacing the drywall off the studs using hat channels on RSIC clips.  Seriously, this stuff should be standard in new construction...

Agreed but if you already have existing walls up and can't afford to lose more space in your condo by furring out walls, I'd suggest rockwool. Better than nothing?

#1734 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:23 PM

Ah good, my neighbours have moved-in and I can hear their children through the walls very clearly. Perfect. Also just all their talking. Great walls.

Did you say you lived at the Mondrian? Worse than that?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#1735 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 05:30 AM

All this chat back and forth is nice, but most of us sure miss Zoomer’s weekend updates
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#1736 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:07 AM

A friend told me that they hung a heavy and very large Persian carpet on their problem wall and it really helped to cut down the sound. No idea if it is true. 

Hope that this building does not allow small dogs or the lack of sound proofing could be a crisis for some.

#1737 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:13 AM

Let’s not get too excited here. The “lack of sound proofing” is based on one person’s opinion and preferences. I’m not sure that it makes sense to veer straight into crisis territory just yet.
  • Moxuz likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1738 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:18 AM

Did you say you lived at the Mondrian? Worse than that?

My unit in the Mondrian was actually very good for sound! I generally didn’t hear any noise from neighbours. Didn’t realize there was a common noise concern for that building.

#1739 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:19 AM

All this chat back and forth is nice, but most of us sure miss Zoomer’s weekend updates

I could take some pics but it’s just from an iPhone. Sidewalk and south building? I can’t remember if Zoomer said they weren’t taking photos here anymore.

Edited by Moxuz, 20 February 2021 - 09:31 AM.

#1740 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:20 AM

See! It’s all about the neighbours.

I had neighbours who you’d hear, all the time. Then they moved on and the next ones were quiet as mice. This is a top floor corner suite I’m referring to so noise only came from one side of the unit.
  • Moxuz likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users