BUILT
The Wade
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1105 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 2BR + den, junior 1BR, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Wade is a two-building, 102-unit mixed-use condominium and ground floor commercial development spanning th... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Wade on Citified.ca
Photo

The Wade | Condos; commercial | 5 and 4-storeys | Completed - built in 2021

• Please log in to reply
2514 replies to this topic

#1801 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:02 AM

I was on a strata once and we had to take this approach because 5% in one window becomes 10% in another window becomes 25% a year later in another window and then it becomes a nightmare to manage.

That would be awful, to have 50 shades of grey curtains.

• lanforod likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1802 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:04 AM

Seberry, Are you just trying to whip up some trouble? Must be the saddistic streak in you.

#1803 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:05 AM

No, they mean one of those will be the Lynyrd Skynryd Confederate beach blanket and strata can't do anything about it because they've set a precedent by allowing previous non-conformists.

#1804 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:07 AM

Rod: You are not just whistling Dixie.

#1805 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:11 AM

Other non-conforming window coverings:

Bart Simpson "Eat My Shorts" beach towel

Tony Montana "Say Hello" faux fur blanket

Jack Daniels bedsheet

Battlestar Galactica duvet cover

Stolen Beacon Hill Park flagpole Canadian Flag

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#1806 Birdhouse24

Birdhouse24
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 11:04 AM

We are ordering some custom blinds for our place in the south building. We've asked for current pictures of the windows ( from the inside) to visualize the layout (living room) but was told the developer won't allow pictures taken and sent to the owners. Anyone run into before?

I have also ordered custom blinds from Ruffel-Brown and the lady helping us there had the same suggestion of getting rid of the hand cranks mentioned in later comments.

We also had a hard time with "guesstimating" the size/depth etc of the window sills and framing in order to fit the blinds.  Ours won't be installed possibly for another month (still on order).

I get possession of my suite in a few days so would be happy to share pics of the windows by end of week to help make your life easier!

• Nparker, Victoria Watcher and ollivier1 like this

#1807 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 12:59 PM

Does the north wing have the same window dimensions as the south wing?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1808 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 01:12 PM

How's the noise level from the neighbours?

It’s been..ok? Not as bad as I thought it was at first but I can definitely hear the children screaming. Fortunately, they’re old enough to only be doing it once or twice a day so it’s probably going to be fine
  • Mike K. and LJ like this

#1809 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:26 PM

Seberry, Are you just trying to whip up some trouble? Must be the saddistic streak in you.

One has to be a little masochistic to enjoy living in a strata.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1810 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 07:51 AM

Mox why don’t you pop open a hallway door to the south building to have a self guided tour of your entire development and to provide the people with an accurate update of what’s going on in terms of progress.

Edited by Promontory Kingpin, 01 March 2021 - 07:52 AM.

• Victoria Watcher and ollivier1 like this

#1811 Wadeowner

Wadeowner
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 03:01 PM

I don't post often but thought I would provide a bit of my experience possessing my unit. I have benefited from info posted by others on here so hopefully someone finds some of what I post useful to them.  Overall, I must say I am very happy with the results of my unit and feel that my choice to roll the dice and buy into this prebuild has been vindicated. I do not currently primarily reside in Victoria so it has been a bit tedious planning around the varying timelines and such and keeping up to date with info. I had a friend do my inspection in December and to be my eyes and take lots of pics. I had not actually been in my unit till possession day. The closing went well though details of from whom and where I would get my keys didn't come till the afternoon before so that caused a bit of anxiety. It nonetheless went well. I am glad I looked very carefully at the legal papers I was signing and made sure the numbers added up. I discovered that they had omitted to credit me the 10% interest on my 15% deposit and alerted my lawyer to bring it up with the developer's lawyer and sure enough it was just an oversight. A few thousand in custom upgrades were also missed and the numbers were reconciled so that I would be getting back a substantial credit. I guess these things happen so always important to look carefully. The key handover was seamless. The property management representative was very pleasant and there was some info provided in a file. I wish some of the info in the file was provided beforehand such as the special deal for owners with Telus as I had already arranged for a Telus technician to come in later that day to set me up for a slight different plan and it is unclear whether Telus would be allow me to switch to the better owner deal now. I also did find that for someone like me, who had not been on site before, that there was some additional info that would have been nice to have that was not included. For example, some practical stuff like where are the garbage disposal and recycling located, where is the entrance to the parkade etc. This was all eventually figured out. Also having not been in my unit before there were a few things that baffled me. One was how to lock the balcony door. I was solo so was too afraid to go out on the balcony and try locking it and getting back in. It is one of those locks that you turn the lock thing and the latch doesn't seem to move and come out so I was wondering if it ever locks. I later discovered after talking to people who had encountered these before that it is one where you turn the handle up and the latch comes out and locks it. Also, the stove was a bit of a mystery in that the 4 outer burners lit almost instantaneously when turned on but the centre large one would make the clicking noise but never seemed to light readily. There was no manual left for that appliance. I still have not fully figured it out but it would seem that you need to have one side burner on and then do some voodoo with the button for the centre one and then I can usually get it to light eventually. I don't know if that is normal. This may be more intuitive to those familiar with these types of appliance but my experience has been largely with cooktops. Having the manuals would be useful and also for warranty maybe to have the info. I searched the drawers but couldn't find one for this. 
There was a deficiency in the unit that had been flagged in the inspection that had not been corrected. The mirror in the 2nd bathroom was missing. I did contact the property management guy who contacted the developer who quickly responded and apologized, and arrangements were readily made to correct this within the next few days. Another issue had to do with the general common door keys I was issued. One worked and the other didn't. The developer said that had happened with someone else's key and it is just a matter of when you make a couple hundred cuts then you may have one or two that don't work well. This key will be replaced for me. It is a good thing that I checked both sets of keys to make sure they all worked. Another potential issue to keep in mind is I notice that many of the doors on the stairwell to individual floor levels and also the gated door at the front facing Pandora (that you go out if you come off the fire stairwell) do not close completely if you do not actually push them in and will remain not locked otherwise. They do slowly retract back but don't go shut and lock. This potentially has safety implications if someone is not careful to ensure it is pushed in and locked.
Overall, I love the unit. I like the view out my window, the heaters up on the wall are pretty awesome, the heated floors in the bathroom feel luxuriant, love the color scheme and finishes, like the barn door look and I really like the rooftop space and think it would be an awesome place to sit and relax and read a book or something like that in the warmer weather. 

• sebberry, ollivier1 and SargeantCharlesWigglesworth like this

#1812 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 03:09 PM

I don't post often but thought I would provide a bit of my experience possessing my unit. I have benefited from info posted by others on here so hopefully someone finds some of what I post useful to them.  Overall, I must say I am very happy with the results of my unit and feel that my choice to roll the dice and buy into this prebuild has been vindicated. I do not currently primarily reside in Victoria so it has been a bit tedious planning around the varying timelines and such and keeping up to date with info. I had a friend do my inspection in December and to be my eyes and take lots of pics. I had not actually been in my unit till possession day. The closing went well though details of from whom and where I would get my keys didn't come till the afternoon before so that caused a bit of anxiety. It nonetheless went well. I am glad I looked very carefully at the legal papers I was signing and made sure the numbers added up. I discovered that they had omitted to credit me the 10% interest on my 15% deposit and alerted my lawyer to bring it up with the developer's lawyer and sure enough it was just an oversight. A few thousand in custom upgrades were also missed and the numbers were reconciled so that I would be getting back a substantial credit. I guess these things happen so always important to look carefully. The key handover was seamless. The property management representative was very pleasant and there was some info provided in a file. I wish some of the info in the file was provided beforehand such as the special deal for owners with Telus as I had already arranged for a Telus technician to come in later that day to set me up for a slight different plan and it is unclear whether Telus would be allow me to switch to the better owner deal now. I also did find that for someone like me, who had not been on site before, that there was some additional info that would have been nice to have that was not included. For example, some practical stuff like where are the garbage disposal and recycling located, where is the entrance to the parkade etc. This was all eventually figured out. Also having not been in my unit before there were a few things that baffled me. One was how to lock the balcony door. I was solo so was too afraid to go out on the balcony and try locking it and getting back in. It is one of those locks that you turn the lock thing and the latch doesn't seem to move and come out so I was wondering if it ever locks. I later discovered after talking to people who had encountered these before that it is one where you turn the handle up and the latch comes out and locks it. Also, the stove was a bit of a mystery in that the 4 outer burners lit almost instantaneously when turned on but the centre large one would make the clicking noise but never seemed to light readily. There was no manual left for that appliance. I still have not fully figured it out but it would seem that you need to have one side burner on and then do some voodoo with the button for the centre one and then I can usually get it to light eventually. I don't know if that is normal. This may be more intuitive to those familiar with these types of appliance but my experience has been largely with cooktops. Having the manuals would be useful and also for warranty maybe to have the info. I searched the drawers but couldn't find one for this. 
There was a deficiency in the unit that had been flagged in the inspection that had not been corrected. The mirror in the 2nd bathroom was missing. I did contact the property management guy who contacted the developer who quickly responded and apologized, and arrangements were readily made to correct this within the next few days. Another issue had to do with the general common door keys I was issued. One worked and the other didn't. The developer said that had happened with someone else's key and it is just a matter of when you make a couple hundred cuts then you may have one or two that don't work well. This key will be replaced for me. It is a good thing that I checked both sets of keys to make sure they all worked. Another potential issue to keep in mind is I notice that many of the doors on the stairwell to individual floor levels and also the gated door at the front facing Pandora (that you go out if you come off the fire stairwell) do not close completely if you do not actually push them in and will remain not locked otherwise. They do slowly retract back but don't go shut and lock. This potentially has safety implications if someone is not careful to ensure it is pushed in and locked.
Overall, I love the unit. I like the view out my window, the heaters up on the wall are pretty awesome, the heated floors in the bathroom feel luxuriant, love the color scheme and finishes, like the barn door look and I really like the rooftop space and think it would be an awesome place to sit and relax and read a book or something like that in the warmer weather. 

thanks for "giving back" wadeowner this is great.

#1813 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 04:23 PM

Weird the manuals aren't there. It's easier for the installer to just leave them than take them out so they might be top shelf in a cupboard somewhere.

Telus I'm sure will honour that deal if you explain the circumstances. Be prepared to spend a while on the phone/chat sorting it out but be persistent.

#1814 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 04:32 PM

Free Telus for one year?
  • Moxuz and ollivier1 like this

#1815 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 04:36 PM

Wadeowner, thanks for that. That’s very helpful.

In another building I found all of my manuals in a cupboard over the fridge at the very back. Two months after moving in!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1816 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 04:42 PM

About the burner, sometimes the pilot light is blocked by the cover atop the element. It’s a bit odd to explain but you may find some luck running a YouTube search on burners that won’t light up. Usually it’s just a matter of fidgeting the components a touch and everything will work.

Question, when you turn on the gas, can you smell it? And when you engage the lighter, can you see it? You can also lift the stove too on my units exposing the workings. During transit these components can shift a little.

Know it all.

#1817 Wadeowner

Wadeowner
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 05:47 PM

thanks for "giving back" wadeowner this is great.

Glad to provide some info :)

Edited by Wadeowner, 02 March 2021 - 06:01 PM.

#1818 Wadeowner

Wadeowner
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 05:50 PM

Weird the manuals aren't there. It's easier for the installer to just leave them than take them out so they might be top shelf in a cupboard somewhere.

Telus I'm sure will honour that deal if you explain the circumstances. Be prepared to spend a while on the phone/chat sorting it out but be persistent.

I would hope Telus would honor it given that I have my other home completely with them as well as my mobile and have been a loyal customer for 15 years. There is a special number for the homeowner offer and I was perpetually on hold over the weekend so left that to deal with another day as my time was limited there.

Yes weird about the manuals especially given that the manuals for the washer and dryer and such were left in them. I also like how they left the tag on all the appliances warning that they may cause cancer and reproductive harm  :1954_dancing:

#1819 Wadeowner

Wadeowner
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 05:52 PM

Free Telus for one year?

If you sign up for a 2 yr contract with the 300 mbs internet, home phone and basic cable, then you get the first year free  which is supposedly a value of about 2000 dollars.

#1820 Wadeowner

Wadeowner
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 05:55 PM

About the burner, sometimes the pilot light is blocked by the cover atop the element. It’s a bit odd to explain but you may find some luck running a YouTube search on burners that won’t light up. Usually it’s just a matter of fidgeting the components a touch and everything will work.

Question, when you turn on the gas, can you smell it? And when you engage the lighter, can you see it? You can also lift the stove too on my units exposing the workings. During transit these components can shift a little.

I had a look in all the cupboards and drawers and didn't see the manual. Maybe I just missed it but I even stood on a chair and went into the high cupboards looking. I did not look for the manual online or try you tube though as I had limited time and so much to do. That is something I can look at for sure. I do definitely smell gas when it is turned on and I do see the little spark thing and the clicking sound. It may certainly be something I am overlooking but it just seems weird that all the others light immediately when you engage the knob.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users