Victoria Times Colonist | Article discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
235 replies to this topic

#121 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:15 AM

How about this typo today. One Little missing word will not make Stew happy:

Young has long maintained that there won’t be parking in Langford as long as he is mayor.

Less parking?

#122 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:19 AM

Pay parking.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#123 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:27 AM

What does Stew think about bike lanes?

#124 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:16 PM

screenshot-twitter.com-2018-01-06-13-15-32-498.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#125 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:43 PM

Adrian, Michael, now Sarah ... some by "retirement", and others via layoff.

It's got to be a harbinger of the twilight of the T/C as a print publication ... these long time employees aren't the kind of folks you let go if you intend on continuing to publish your newspaper.

From the glory days of the Colonist in the early morning, and the Times in the afternoon (my family was always a Colonist crowd), it would seem that a digital only T/C isn't too far over the horizon now.

#126 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:57 PM

Amy Smart is gone from the TC.

#127 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:17 PM

Amy Smart is gone from the TC.

Now working for the Canadian Press' Vancouver bureau.

#128 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

Meanwhile, in the Sports section:

Mario Annicchiarico:

Well, thus starts my final week of work at Times Colonist as layoffs continue to destroy newspaper biz. Feeling disappointed. Thought I deserved better after 32-plus years in biz. Felt like I have given a great deal to this Co., sometimes filing 3, 4 or 5 stories a day. ...

It is what it is and Saturday will be my final day. About to turn 56 and I do look forward to the next chapter. I will miss a lot of extremely wonderful people in this sports community. Hopefully we can remain in touch. Much love to all - Mario

#129 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:08 PM

She drove back to the hostel, grabbed a blow horn and the guest ledger and began systematically waking up guests.

Some seemed very scared and some were nonchalant, including a man who opened his door naked.

http://www.timescolo...fted-1.23152065

COOL    :cheers: 

#130 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:30 AM

So I spoke to a person in Glacier Media management today.  In January 2019, they plan to offer employees 50% of their current wages.  They expect that to be rejected of course, and they have a fall back of selling to Black Press, who will immediately shutter the operation.

It's over in January 2019 for the TC from what I know.

#131 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:31 AM

^ Maybe that's why Black Press is suing people that allegedly repurpose their articles. They are going to need some more money if they want to purchase the TC.

Here is the part I don't understand. I have been in business for more decades than I am willing to admit to, and for the life of me I can't figure out what the advantage is to purchase a company with the idea of closing it's doors.

It happens in the big game where the big players are throwing around big dough. A small player like me wouldn't think of doing that.

Black Press isn't exactly awash with cash either. From what I hear and read, that boat is a little rocky. I guess another trip to the bank is in order.

I don't know....couple all this with the fact that the hard copy paper business is not exactly a rising star....your comment above might lead some people to be a little nervous.

#132 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:13 AM

The news is all over Twitter as it happens. Folks don't need a longer winded account of old news in the TC or Black Press a few days later. The newspapers can't be saved.

• Cassidy likes this

#133 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:13 AM

Perhaps there’s a tax benefit or a competition bureau benefit?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#134 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:35 AM

^ Maybe that's why Black Press is suing people that allegedly repurpose their articles. They are going to need some more money if they want to purchase the TC.

Here is the part I don't understand. I have been in business for more decades than I am willing to admit to, and for the life of me I can't figure out what the advantage is to purchase a company with the idea of closing it's doors.

It happens in the big game where the big players are throwing around big dough. A small player like me wouldn't think of doing that.

Black Press isn't exactly awash with cash either. From what I hear and read, that boat is a little rocky. I guess another trip to the bank is in order.

I don't know....couple all this with the fact that the hard copy paper business is not exactly a rising star....your comment above might lead some people to be a little nervous.

If this happens, and I find it strange that 'management' would be telling their secrets a year ahead of time, the sale will be for $1 IMHO. Much like the recent trade between Torstar and Post Media, the purpose is to simply capture the capital losses.

#135 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:37 AM

The news is all over Twitter as it happens. Folks don't need a longer winded account of old news in the TC or Black Press a few days later. The newspapers can't be saved.

If this happens it would be devastation for many local businesses which rely on local print advertising. Most don't have the budgets or expertise to compete in other forms of media.

• Rob Randall likes this

#136 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:39 AM

It’s unclear if they are still suing me, they have never served me any paperwork.
  • Matt R. likes this

#137 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:41 AM

If this happens it would be devastation for many local businesses which rely on local print advertising. Most don't have the budgets or expertise to compete in other forms of media.

Take a look at the TC though. Outside of automotive and real estate there is little local advertising. 15,000 businesses, at best 20 per day advertise in the TC.

#138 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:07 AM

Look at Mario’s post there. He says he files up to 5 stories a day. The TC publishes 1 or 2. Why let the rest go to waste?

Put them online where the space is free and only allow subscribers to see them. Are they less than perfect? Sure. But every single Black Press article is rife with grammar and spelling errors. They still publish them.

#139 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:59 AM

The TC is sinking their own boat just like Sears (and tons of others) sunk their own boat.

The TC online platform is still trying to get money out of you, which is ridiculous when all you have to do is go "incognito" or "private" in your browser in order to read whatever they have on their website.

Regardless, the TC should be putting ALL of their stories up on the website for free, and focus on monetizing advertising on their website.

You do wonder sometimes whose in charge of businesses like Sears or the TC, folks who seem utterly blind to technology, and the direction people are moving to buy things, or get their breaking news (which is all online).

Unfortunately, when  an outfit like the TC dismantles their print infrastructure (by laying off or firing everybody), they destroy any chance of "new" successes with their online platform.

Edited by Cassidy, 24 January 2018 - 09:00 AM.

• Bingo likes this

#140 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:04 AM

True, but read the Wall St Journal and the New York Times and they have in depth analysis that is worth reading.  It usually takes me a week to fully read the Sunday New York Times

TC on the other hand....good for washing my windows and mopping up messes.  I might read it if its free sitting there while I wait in a lobby or something

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users